WJC: Greatest Collapse or Greatest Comeback

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Just curious how the esteemed HF posters see the Gold medal game.

The Greatest Collapse in Junior Hockey
or
The Greatest Comeback in Junior Hockey.

Canada looked completely flat-footed in the 3rd, the Russians were skating circles around them and didn't need to put a whole lot of effort into their scoring, the game they played looked the same as the game in the 1st and the 2nd except in those periods Canada was skating with them and beating them to the puck... pure collapse IMO.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
A little of column A, a little of column B.

The Russians started dictating the play at the end of the 2nd and really brought it in the 3rd. Canada had no answer for it, stopped skating and stopped playing the style that got them to the gold medal game in the first place.

A deadly combination if you're a fan of Team Canada. A fantastic combination if you're a fan of the Russian team.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Collapse. Goaltending was downright awful and Canada's weakness on defense was again exposed.

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver
I say comeback, when you look at what Russia has accomplished in total.

Starting off liosing their first two games.

Coming from behind to beat Finland when down 3 to 1 in the third.

Beating Sweden in the SO.

Then Beating Canada when down 3 - 0 in the third with 5 unawnsered goals. They were the team of destiny.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Collapse for me. Canada's bread and butter was board work, and they didn't win 1 board battle in the third period. Heck, they didn't win 1 battle all third period. And while Russia did mount a good comeback in terms of offensive output, there were quite a few saves that Visentin should have had.

Then you have guys like Cowen trying to dangle at his own blue line....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Definately a collapse. Canada had Russia in check for most of the game and then stopped doing the little things that leads to a win. Forwards didn't get the puck out, defensemen were caught flat-footed, the goaltender wasn't square to the shot and have his stick down, etc. I give Russia full marks for the comeback, but there is no way in hell they should have won this game.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Definately a collapse. Canada had Russia in check for most of the game and then stopped doing the little things that leads to a win. Forwards didn't get the puck out, defensemen were caught flat-footed, the goaltender square to the shot and have his stick down, etc. I give Russia full marks for the comeback, but there is no way in hell they should have won this game.

This pretty much.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Let's not forget about the collapse in net.

Explain which goals should have been stopped (not requiring an amazing save)?

The defense in the third was embarassing. The Russian players skated through our zone uncontentested.

marty 4 hart*

It was a collapse. Canadas B team collapsed. Russia didnt win, Canadas B team lost.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Explain which goals should have been stopped (not requiring an amazing save)?

The defense in the third was embarassing. The Russian players skated through our zone uncontentested.

The second and fifth goals were definately weak.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Can't believe you people voting "collapse." Don't you remember Finland and Sweden? What, every team facing Russia is subject to a third period collapse? Give them some credit, for gods sakes.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Comeback. They came back against the Fins spectacularly, they fought back against the Swedes in the dieing minutes, and then the complete dominance in the third against Canada.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Bit of both, but I do see a pattern here: to do this three times in a row in do or die -games is pretty much unique. That's a Team with a capital T. Great performance!

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Collapse.. That's a shame for every Canadian hockey fans. They see their team win 3-0 after two periods and can't handle pression getting scored 5 unanswered goals... I still can't believe it happened. I think that the Canadian players thought about the medal too much between the 2nd and 3rd and they lost focus. Gotta give credit to Russia who took advantage of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad