Greatest Asian Player

The Korean*

Only asian person playing in NHL currently is Richard Park. Kariya isnt Asian. Russians are white, not asian.

fancy dan*

Height is not at issue, it's body type. Yes, there are exceptions, but for a broad build you usually get that from Scandinavian, Germanic and African heritage. There are plenty of NHL ready builds from Chinese descent though, but don't expect the next great powerforward to be Chinese Canadian.

for me its a numbers issue, and not a size or body type issue. more and more chinese kids are enrolling in canadian minor hockey, and that number will go up in the future. the more that enter the youth hockey system, the more that graduate to junior, the more that reach the nhl. though i don't expect the next great powerforward in the nhl to be chinese, i fully expect there to be chinese powerforwards, finesse forwards, goalies and defencemen playing in the nhl within 15 years.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
What about Ching Johnson? :D

Kariya is the best player with a slight bit of Oriential (not Asian) background, but he and his brothers were born and raised in Canada. I think the question should be about players who at least lived in Asia at one point.

And to that I don't know the answer!

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Height is not at issue, it's body type. Yes, there are exceptions, but for a broad build you usually get that from Scandinavian, Germanic and African heritage. There are plenty of NHL ready builds from Chinese descent though, but don't expect the next great powerforward to be Chinese Canadian.

Thats pretty wrong too. Asians come in all sizes. The type you generally see in Canada are from southeast China and southeast Asia where the general population is shorter. However Northern Asians are generally bigger and there have been a few monster sized giants like Yao Min.

The guy who mentioned Nutrition is right on the money. Although I'm only 5'9" my generation was taller than any of my parent's. My younger brother is 5'10" and we're the tallest in our generation of relatives. I think I attribute most of that to the better nutrition since I came to this country.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Thats pretty wrong too. Asians come in all sizes. The type you generally see in Canada are from southeast China and southeast Asia where the general population is shorter. However Northern Asians are generally bigger and there have been a few monster sized giants like Yao Min.

The guy who mentioned Nutrition is right on the money. Although I'm only 5'9" my generation was taller than any of my parent's. My younger brother is 5'10" and we're the tallest in our generation of relatives. I think I attribute most of that to the better nutrition since I came to this country.
But even Yao doesn't have a power build. Height and build are different things.

I know nothing can be covered with one broad stroke, but, it would be unlikely to see an Asian in the NHL with a broad build.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Yutaka Fukufuji
Peter Ing
Martin Kariya
Paul Kariya
Steve Kariya
Jason Krog
Manny Malhotra
Jim Paek
Richard Park
Jamie Storr
David Tanabe

Rod Langway was born in Taiwan, but neither of his parents were of Asian heritage. I believe his father was in the service.

If an infant thats parents are form China is born while they are visiting the US, then that child is considered American with a Chinese heritage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad