Greatest Asian Player

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Rod Langway is listed as born in Taiwan. Paul Kariya, Steve Kariya. The Avs have a Chinese player in their system. So does San Jose.

skariya18

Sep 10, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
www.hockeydirect.net
Yutaka Fukufuji
Peter Ing
Martin Kariya
Paul Kariya
Steve Kariya
Jason Krog
Manny Malhotra
Jim Paek
Richard Park
Jamie Storr
David Tanabe

Rod Langway was born in Taiwan, but neither of his parents were of Asian heritage. I believe his father was in the service.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It should begin and end with Paul Kariya. He has Japanese in his background although I dont know how far. I want to say one of his grandparents is Asian but dont quote me. Other than him not a lot of Asians fill NHL spots. Now if we're discussing mathematics then................(I'm kidding of course)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Born and raised in Asia and of Asian descent? Yutaka Fukufuji is the first, isn't he?

Jim Paek is a Seoul-born Korean and two time Stanley Cup champion, but his family left his homeland when he was an infant.

Same with Richard Park, born in Seoul to Korean parents but his family moved to Southern California when he was very young. The fact that he made it to the NHL from Southern California is remarkable in itself!

There simply is no Asian developmental leagues of any note in the past, other than Russian ones.

That said, I live in South Korea and have been watching Asian Hockey League games, and the Japanese aren't too far away, having had a league for over twenty years, they might even have a ECHL quality player or two in a few years, the Koreans are a bit behind but catching up, showing great improvement over the last five years I've been here (in 2002 I could've beat them, in 2007 I couldnt... Esa Tikkanen played here in Korea a couple of seasons ago, and ex-Pens captain Steve McKenna helped here last season before heading to Australia to coach their national team). The Chinese teams are gawd awful but with Islanders owner Wang spending millions to send Chinese youth to special hockey schools, a generation of half-decent players will be on the way in a couple of decades.

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
It should begin and end with Paul Kariya. He has Japanese in his background although I dont know how far. I want to say one of his grandparents is Asian but dont quote me. Other than him not a lot of Asians fill NHL spots. Now if we're discussing mathematics then................(I'm kidding of course)

His father was Japanese and his mother is Scottish I believe.

I say was because sadly his father passed away a few years ago.

bruins888

Oct 22, 2006
Yutaka Fukufuji
Peter Ing
Martin Kariya
Paul Kariya
Steve Kariya
Jason Krog
Manny Malhotra
Jim Paek
Richard Park
Jamie Storr
David Tanabe

Rod Langway was born in Taiwan, but neither of his parents were of Asian heritage. I believe his father was in the service.

Malholtra is of a punjabi backround.

Barrasso35

Paul Kariya. What else is there to discuss?

Jimmy Paek won two cups with Pittsburgh and scored a goal in the finals in 1991 and had 4 assists in the playoffs in 1992.

Jim Paek has two Stanley Cup rings, Paul Kariya has no Stanely Cup rings.

Kariya may be a more talented player, individually but if you ignore Jim Paek (who was the first Korean to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup, by the way) you're ignoring hockey history.

What else is there to discuss? Plenty.

rmchahn

Apr 13, 2007
Jimmy Paek won two cups with Pittsburgh and scored a goal in the finals in 1991 and had 4 assists in the playoffs in 1992.

Jim Paek has two Stanley Cup rings, Paul Kariya has no Stanely Cup rings.

Kariya may be a more talented player, individually but if you ignore Jim Paek (who was the first Korean to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup, by the way) you're ignoring hockey history.

What else is there to discuss? Plenty.

I don't understand the obssession in these forums with players having Stanley Cup rings. Yes, Paek was fortunate enough to be on 2 championship teams. However, after he left Pittsburgh, he didn't last too long in the NHL. On virtually every championship team, there are fringe players who were in the right place at the right time. But that doesn't make them great players. The title of this thread is Greatest Asian player. To name Paek and Kariya in the same sentence is a joke. There's no comparison. The only discussion should be whether some parts of Russia are considered to be part of Asia, and thus whether some Russian players should be named in the mix.

Hockeymomma

Feb 12, 2005
Toronto
There is no question - trhe greatest Asian player was Alexander Mogilny - he was born and raise in a town 1000kms Northeast of Beijing.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
wait- stop the thread.

Steve McKenna was a CAPTAIN???!
It was only for a game but he got the 'C'. He spoke about it in an interview when he joined the Asian Hockey league last fall as a player/coach.

Yeah, he was an alternate captain for a while.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad