News Article: Great refresher article by Vogl on the origins of the Sabres rebuild/tank

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
"So along those lines about patience," said Stepner, "are we looking at and are fans looking at a building of a championship team process like the Penguins went through, like you mentioned Chicago went through, where you gather those assets that are younger, you are at the bottom of the league. Not that you're saying you're planning on being at the bottom of the league …"

"No," said Regier.

"But going that route," Stepner continued, "can fans expect that short term?"

"Fans should expect that we will acquire top players and enough top players to contend and win a Stanley Cup," Regier said. "The hope is that involves the shortest time frame possible. The teams that you talked about in the case of Chicago and Pittsburgh and L.A., but L.A. is a little bit of a different situation, required patience. It did.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I have to wonder sometimes what the state of the Sabres would be today if Regier had stayed on and been allowed to see the rebuild through.

Obviously Regier had his flaws and was let go for good reasons. But I think it is universally clear that Murray bungled his tenure and set the rebuild back considerably.

Reactions: pigpen65

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have to wonder sometimes what the state of the Sabres would be today if Regier had stayed on and been allowed to see the rebuild through.

Obviously Regier had his flaws and was let go for good reasons. But I think it is universally clear that Murray bungled his tenure and set the rebuild back considerably.

Regier's drafting and dubious development decisions leave me thinking it wouldn't have been better. Different, but not better.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Regier's drafting and dubious development decisions leave me thinking it wouldn't have been better. Different, but not better.

I think you’re right. Once drunk on Pegula bucks he was terrible.

IMO Pre-Pegula Regier was a good GM who learned to work within his restrictions financially. He handled a bankruptcy rebuild pretty well. Then watched Quinn/Golisano contract policy destroy what he had built.

But I doubt he could have gone back to his pre -Pegula tendencies once drunk on Pegula bucks.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I think you’re right. Once drunk on Pegula bucks he was terrible.

IMO Pre-Pegula Regier was a good GM who learned to work within his restrictions financially. He handled a bankruptcy rebuild pretty well. Then watched Quinn/Golisano contract policy destroy what he had built.

But I doubt he could have gone back to his pre -Pegula tendencies once drunk on Pegula bucks.

I agree that a Regier post tank rebuild likely wouldn't have resulted in a Chicago Blackhawks like renaissance and a couple of Stanley Cups. But on the other hand, he wouldn't have screwed the pooch as badly as GMTM did either.

We probably would have exchanged our traditional 9th place drafting slot for an 8th place slot. Meh... :popcorn:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The same Regier ready to make Thomac Vanek one of the highest paid forwards in the league? The same one who turned down Vanek for Seguin straight up? Who turned down Paille for Marchand? Stafford for Forsberg?

I would gladly take the pre-Pegula version of Regier but he was terrible ever since then. We would probably look similar to Winnipeg.

Reactions: Chainshot

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The scary part of that article is that it shows how forceful Pegula is at getting his way on decisions he is laughably unfit to make. And I've already heard independent NFL journalists say the Josh Allen pick was strongly influenced by Terry Pegula who 'loved his arm' - my god Terry Pegula is a blithering idiot outside the gas/oil business and here he is running the two most important institutions the people of Buffalo value.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The scary part of that article is that it shows how forceful Pegula is at getting his way on decisions he is laughably unfit to make. And I've already heard independent NFL journalists say the Josh Allen pick was strongly influenced by Terry Pegula who 'loved his arm' - my god Terry Pegula is a blithering idiot outside the gas/oil business and here he is running the two most important institutions the people of Buffalo value.
Doesn't matter what QB the Bills drafted, he has no one to throw to anyways.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The greatest threat to the Terrance Pegula sports empire is Terrance Pegula,

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The same Regier ready to make Thomac Vanek one of the highest paid forwards in the league? The same one who turned down Vanek for Seguin straight up? Who turned down Paille for Marchand? Stafford for Forsberg?

I would gladly take the pre-Pegula version of Regier but he was terrible ever since then. We would probably look similar to Winnipeg.

He was so interested in forcing youngsters into roles at the end of his tenure, rebuild or no, that who knows what else he would’ve damaged. Great at getting draft pick value when selling, but little ability to draft and develop talent.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I agree that a coulda/woulda postulation on what Regier might or might not have done is pointless. Nostril's point is way more pertinent. We have a rich fan boy for an owner and he needs to stand down.

Worse, I don't ever see that happening.........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad