New York Islanders: Great read on Okposo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730873

"He's such an athletic player, very strong, but he wasn't showing any of that athleticism or strength when he was on top of the puck," Belfry said. "A lot of it was just saying, 'Hey, you're way better than this and, here, let me show you how.'"

- Darryl Belfry skills coach

Its nice to see Kyle finally realize his ability and feel the confidence to be an Impact player.Im expecting big things going forward from Kyle.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

"He's such an athletic player, very strong, but he wasn't showing any of that athleticism or strength when he was on top of the puck," Belfry said. "A lot of it was just saying, 'Hey, you're way better than this and, here, let me show you how.'"

Its nice to see Kyle finally realize his ability and feel the confidence to be an Impact player.Im expecting big things going forward from Kyle.

Cool read, thanks SI90.

Reading this and thinking about his possession game this past year really makes sense. It's a cerebral game, and it isn't so much going through everyone or around everyone, but identifying opponents balance and next move that can keep the puck sheltered while still being near players.

I also think KO is going to solidify his position as a legit 1st liner int he NHL.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Cool read, thanks SI90.

Reading this and thinking about his possession game this past year really makes sense. It's a cerebral game, and it isn't so much going through everyone or around everyone, but identifying opponents balance and next move that can keep the puck sheltered while still being near players.

I also think KO is going to solidify his position as a legit 1st liner int he NHL.

I was thinking the same thing. You could see that point 2 years ago when he flipped the switch..

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Very good read 90, KO has picked up a great deal on his physical conditioning the last couple of years, and as you put it the switch flipped on.

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I'm not sold yet, he needs one more year like he had and then I will be. And if your gonna attack me for it whatever, I like the progress and year he had but he needs to do it again.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Very good read 90, KO has picked up a great deal on his physical conditioning the last couple of years, and as you put it the switch flipped on.

Its great to see. We all knew the potential and what was there. It gets frustrating when you know someone is capable of being a legit impact player and talent.

Now, please someone help Bailey flip the switch.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Its great to see. We all knew the potential and what was there. It gets frustrating when you know someone is capable of being a legit impact player and talent.

Bailey isn't so much a case of flipping the switch as:

*starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together;
*trying to start the engine of a car when you're a woman in a horror movie and the deranged psycho killer is limping towards the car;
*negotiating peace in the Middle East;
*trying to buy the Islanders from Charles Wang.

I kid.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
Really hoping he can just continue from where he left off from last year. He's just a genuinely good person.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I was never worried about Okie. I never got frustrated with him. I never criticized his play. I could just tell that he was going to blossom, and I waited patiently for it. Okposo's problem (in my perception) always was that he tried to hard. He lacked finesse, the athleticism the skills coach talked about. Anyway, I feel the opposite from Bailey and always have. It's just been my instinct and perception of him.

I wasn't concerned that Okposo would never play this way and I'm not concerned that he'll have any type of regression.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

e.

Interesting article. It was reported after the isles/Pens series , that Okposo had picked JT's brain for training tips during the 2012-2013 season.
This article says JT works with Belfry. I am guessing we can thank JT for steering Okposo to Belfry.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Kyle showed flashes of what he has become earlier in his career. Josh is what he is, expecting more than that is wishful thinking.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
JB does not seem to have the same motor as KO. That's something that's tough to teach. It's a shame given JB's high level of raw talent.

If KO stays healthy, he will establish himself as a true NHL first line winger. Even the non-Islander fans in my circle say they would by a ticket just to see he and JT play.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Even if Bailey flips the switch, can't see him rising to what KO did last year (agree with what a few of the guys said, do it again but the indications are good). Bob McKenzie probably had the best report on Josh,
about a 50 point player and a steady and reliable two way player. He does a lot of things well, if he can become what Bob described and be consistant he can be a very useful player. Never saw him as having high end offensive skills or hockey sense.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I agree with a lot that's been said. Kyle was trying too hard 2-3 years ago and wasn't getting results. (Has any Islander hit more posts - Okposto! - in any 5 year period?)

But he has gotten smarter, JT has rubbed off on him, and maybe watching Vanek helped too. Vanek definitely conserves energy and then knows how/when to turn it on.

Kyle has a unique combination of assets. He's built like a bull and starting to gain confidence with his skating and size finally, has great vision and hands, and just an incredible drive and engine that never quits. He's learned how to put it all together. I'm confident he will have a great season again if healthy.

He has the potential of be being a top 5 or 10 power forward that we have sorely lacked for the longest time. When Dal Colle arrives, I'm expecting the top line to be one of the best in the league, and KO will be a huge part of it.

I think Team USA made a glaring mistake and then compounded it by saying idiotic things about KO and Bobby Ryan's improbable future on the team that they will probably regret.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad