Great players never to win a cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
arrbez said:
hey, i know you...

you're that guy who repeatedly takes pot shots at the leafs for their cup drought, and then put on his canucks pajama's and cries himself to sleep every night...right? ;)
Er,... I might have in 1982 and 1994 but... I just smile that in the thirty years I've been watching hockey I've never seen the Leafs even contend for the Cup.

I guess I could've added Linden to the list. How many players score two goals in Game 7 of the Finals only to not touch the Cup. Can't come much closer than that.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
VanIslander said:
In Toronto,... Sundin never will.

Posters like you simply tear apart the integrity of every board. What's the point of that comment? Seriously? Does it help you sleep at night, knowing you hit your quota of ridiculous jabs at the Leafs?

If people were posting that in Toronto, Sundin WILL win a Cup, I can understand your comment, however in this sense it just makes you appear petty, and childish. Congratulations on that.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
GregStack said:
Posters like you simply tear apart the integrity of every board. What's the point of that comment? Seriously?
Seriously. Sundin is a great player who shows up in the playoffs and could have become a hall of famer if he was still playing with his previous team which is now in Colorado.

I think Sundin will never win a Cup in Toronto and that is sad. You Leafs fans can be offended but you shouldn't be: I'm by far not the only one who has lamented Sundin's predicament.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Dionne is the best player not to ever win a Cup, bar none. The shocking thing is the lack of playof games he played in.

After that for me it goes in order of best to never win a Cup: Perreault, Statsny, Sittler, Park, Hawerchuk. All are legitimate Hall of Famers rightly so. Its a shame Perreault never won a Cup, he just ran into too many dynasties at once. Sittler had the heart and leadership to win but there is one reason he never won a Cup, Harold Ballard.

Park is the most snake bitten of all. Plays in three Stanley Cup finals and then in '79 he does all he can to tie up Yvon Lambert in Game 7 but he still scores to put out the Bruins in OT.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Park is the most snake bitten of all. Plays in three Stanley Cup finals and then in '79 he does all he can to tie up Yvon Lambert in Game 7 but he still scores to put out the Bruins in OT.

Just to be argumentative, Brian Propp has to be the most snake-bitten. He played in 5 Stanley Cup Finals and lost every single time. Three of those times with different squads as well. He had losses in '80 (Flyers), '85 (Flyers), '87 (Flyers), '90 (Bruins) & '91 (Stars). He was actually on the ice for Nystrom's famous OT goal in 1980...

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
JFPIV said:
Yeah, I have to agree.....the best tender never to win a cup, IMHO, is Tony Esposito.

I think his name is on the Cup when he won as a rookie with Montreal -- backup (to Vachon/Worsley) in 1969.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of the top players how did they perform in the playoffs, it's expected for number to drop slightly, due to lower postseason scores.

Dionne - .92ppg - (1.31ppg) -- nearly .4 ppg worse
Hawerchuk - 1.02ppg - (1.19ppg) -- .17 worse
Stastny - 1.13ppg - (1.27) -- .14 worse
Goulet - .85ppg - (1.06) -- .21 worse
Propp - .93 - (.99) -- .06 worse
Sundin - .89 - (1.00) -- .11 worse
Sittler - .97 - (1.02) - .05 worse

Just for comparison

Gretzky drops by .06
Lemieux drops by .30
Espostio drops by .19
Lafleur drops by .15

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
the Never Won a Cup all-star team:

LW - C - RW
Michel Goulet - Marcel Dionne - Mike Gartner
Paul Kariya - Paul Stastny - Pavel Bure
Keith Tkachuk - Dale Hawerchuk - Teemu Selanne
Wendel Clark - Jeremy Roenick - Cam Neely

- D -
Doug Wilson - Brad Park
Housley - Mark Howe
Borje Salming - Randy Carlyle

- G -
Curtis Joseph
John Vanbiesbrouk

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
VanIslander said:
Seriously. Sundin is a great player who shows up in the playoffs and could have become a hall of famer if he was still playing with his previous team which is now in Colorado.

I think Sundin will never win a Cup in Toronto and that is sad. You Leafs fans can be offended but you shouldn't be: I'm by far not the only one who has lamented Sundin's predicament.

I'm simply saying there was no reason to state that, and the only purpose of stating that could have been to take an unneccessary shot at the Leafs.

Maybe he won't win a Cup here, maybe he will. Like many have said during the lockout, nobody knows whats going to happen in 2005-2006 season, or even later. The lockout should help Sundin to be completely healthy, players like Owen Nolan should also be back at 100%. Eric Lindros/Jason Allison are saying they want to sign with us (yes, injury prone, but they'd come cheap). I see no real reason that you can count any team out in 2005-2006.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Sundin. It's pretty sad to see him play his balls out every spring and never win. I hate the Leafs with a passion but I'd like Sundin to win a Cup before he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->