Speculation: Great player, to great for the OHL?

Will Robertson be a Leaf next season?

• Total voters

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No.
Sandin/Lily/Timashov/Engvall all come to mind.
I just prefer the old Red Wing model.
Over Season or whatever term people want to use.
All could turn out great but none of those 4 are ready yet.
In my opinion.
I know Timashov is gone.
As should be all the others like him.
Skilled/Soft/One Dimensional.
We have way too many of the same player.
Malgin/Petan/Engvall/Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kapanan/Barrie/Dermott etc...
It's a long list.
Dubas is all in.
Seems clear it is not working.
Engvall 6'5" 214 lbs
Kapanen 6'1" 194lbs
Dermott 6' 205lbs
All 3 of those players have a physical game, just not face punchers.

As for the 4 that you say are not ready, Engvall is a regular on the team bouncing between the 3rd and 4th lines and Tima has shown he is serviceable, but easily replaceable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is a flawed way to evaluate prospects. Imagine telling a player hey we know you ripped up training camp, but we will sent you down just because. Good way to alienate a prosoect.

Well, technically we are still 6 months away from this hypothetical 2020-21 training camp where Robertson has made a case for cracking the Leafs, so we can slow the roll on that scenario.

Secondly, all I'm saying is plenty of prospects look good in training camp but aren't given instant promotions, or thrive in the NHL afterwards.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
the way robertson is scoring at the ohl isnt just great, its really elite...he already has something that not even marner has, johnsson and kappy r just decent, nylanders is looking good but still can be better...his already great and can reach elite potential nhl shot already plays in the nhl, add the fact that hes a good skater that should only get faster, he plays hard with an edge, has great PK potential

hes good enough to play in the nhl, you never have to be an nhl star right away, hes already a 15-20 goal 10 assist winger next year that provides energy that the team and fans will love...theres tons of nhl players playing in the nhl that make less of an impact

i mean it feels like at 10 forwards that played more than a game for us this year, hes already better than

Slow it down. A 30 point season would put Robertson in the top 10 in rookie scoring and 20 goals would have him top 5 in rookie scoring in a typical season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is a flawed way to evaluate prospects. Imagine telling a player hey we know you ripped up training camp, but we will sent you down just because. Good way to alienate a prosoect.
I kind of have to agree 100% on this. There is a narrative of long proper over ripening development. Thats not always necessary as you are implying here. Everything is fluid to some degree,everything!

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad