Speculation: Great player, to great for the OHL?

Will Robertson be a Leaf next season?

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
A player, fills left wing need, cap heaven! His Nhl caliber shot and motor indicates he has a chance

I voted yes obviously.Just the bottom six lack of energy was enough for me.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
He looks like he will be real good, but no. He shouldn't be on the leafs next yr . While he is likely too good for junior, he is not ready for the show yet. Take time, let him get his junior awards, Maybe another shot at wjc gold, then a full season in the A to hopefully transition his game to playing against men. He will get a look in preseason and maybe even a 9 game look for his pocketbook, but the leafs don't NEED to rush his development at all.

Reactions: mclaren55

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Depends on what he gains in the offseason.
Needs to be stronger and develop more separation speed to be effective in the NHL imo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Depends on what he gains in the offseason.
Needs to be stronger and develop more separation speed to be effective in the NHL imo
Barb has been travelling down to work with him this season on his skating. They see that need if going to that extent to work with him. How many more years would he have to spend in the Ohl 2?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
A player, fills left wing need, cap heaven! His Nhl caliber shot and motor indicates he has a chance

I voted yes obviously.Just the bottom six lack of energy was enough for me.
5'9"
162 lbs.
Great.
He will need every bit of that extraordinary try and great shot etc...
Not holding my breath.
Junior is junior.
Go the Kenny Holland route and over season him.
Don't go the Dubas route and fall in love with guys who are not ready.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Barb has been travelling down to work with him this season on his skating. They see that need if going to that extent to work with him. How many more years would he have to spend in the Ohl 2?
It really depends on how hard he trains.
I'm not concerned about his size, but the way he plays he will need some strength.
I will use sandin as an example. He can play in the NHL but he gets handled at times because of his lack of strength. I can see Robertson having the same issue.
That said, let's see what ye does this offseason and how he does in camp. It's not impossible but he will have to work like a beast to get there for this camp.
Jmho

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
5'9"
162 lbs.
Great.
Not holding my breath.
Junior is junior.
You have a list of guys he's rushed?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It really depends on how hard he trains.
I'm not concerned about his size, but the way he plays he will need some strength.
I will use sandin as an example. He can play in the NHL but he gets handled at times because of his lack of strength. I can see Robertson having the same issue.
That said, let's see what ye does this offseason and how he does in camp. It's not impossible but he will have to work like a beast to get there for this camp.
Jmho

Working like a maniac is his reputation apparently

Reactions: saltming

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
You have a list of guys he's rushed?
No.
Sandin/Lily/Timashov/Engvall all come to mind.
I just prefer the old Red Wing model.
Over Season or whatever term people want to use.
All could turn out great but none of those 4 are ready yet.
In my opinion.
I know Timashov is gone.
As should be all the others like him.
Skilled/Soft/One Dimensional.
We have way too many of the same player.
Malgin/Petan/Engvall/Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kapanan/Barrie/Dermott etc...
It's a long list.
Dubas is all in.
Seems clear it is not working.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I think that NHL teams should have the ability to decide where their players play. This notion that they can’t play in the AHL due to some junior rule is a joke. Robertson has nothing to prove at the CHL level and could truly benefit from playing a higher caliber of competition. Is he ready to play in the NHL? Who knows.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No.
In my opinion.
I know Timashov is gone.
It's a long list.
Dubas is all in.
Some issues but not working is not true( well now it is ha). To many of the same non physical brand player i agree fully with you. The secondary scoring or if you prefer secondary lines weren’t good and produced not much of anything for going back 20 games or more. Spezza was the hardest worker of them all during that stretch and i give him a complete pass and do not include him.

Team defense would be better with a more energetic/ physical types in our 4 th line minimum. I would personally like Kerfoot gone. This guy is terrible and weak and soft and chokes as a scorer.

Robertson replacing him next season and we are laughing

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I will just right out and say I don’t prefer Robertson in the OHL next season. First choice is hopefully something gets worked out with CHL that is not a burden/ hindering to player development and players like Robertson can play Ahl.

Second i think he could play limited Nhl minutes if he is able to keep up. Not strong on knowledge of how good he skates so I don’t know how that will shake out.

Does anyone know something they can add on his mobility. Sure would like to hear about it

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
No.
In my opinion.
I know Timashov is gone.
It's a long list.
Dubas is all in.
Calling Kapanen and Dermott one dimensional shows your bias. Both of them are very chirpy and are gritty when needed. Especially Kapanen

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Too good for Junior. Does not mean the next step should be NHL. He'll get a shot. But I highly doubt it.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
5'9"
162 lbs.
Great.
Not holding my breath.
Junior is junior.

Who has not been ready that hasn't only been used because of injuries?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
No.
In my opinion.
I know Timashov is gone.
It's a long list.
Dubas is all in.
Such a strange list of "one-dimensional players". Ill give you Malgin and Petan, but realistically they are irrelevant to this season and the future of the Leafs. Engvall, Johnsson, Kapanen have all shown they can score while being solid penalty killers, with Johnsson and Kapanen being awfully annoying to play against (although Johnsson takes too many boneheaded penalties as a result). Dermott can get gritty when needed, obviously isn't a pure tough-guy, but doesn't shy away. You can have Barrie as one dimensional, woo woo??

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A very good Junior player but not likely too great for his league. The goal scoring is great but there are a few players shredding the league in ppg right now and my guess is they won't all even be good NHLers. Tavares was 72 and 134 as a 16 year old and 3 years later managed to be a 54pt NHL rookie. We can't get too caught up in Junior stats. Nick isn't Mario scoring 112pts more than the #2 guy in his club. He may be ready with the right team situation to step in next year but the Leafs are the least destperate club in the league for a scoring wingerr.

He probably needs to get bigger and stronger to play the same game against men that works against teenager. Don't get me wrong, Junior stats or not he looks like a potentially elite sniper but I hesitate to say the league has no more challenges for him. If he actually was able to make the team given the stiff competition that would incredible, but pretty optimistic IMO.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Calling Kapanen and Dermott one dimensional shows your bias. Both of them are very chirpy and are gritty when needed. Especially Kapanen
What makes it super annoying.
When you bring it every game.
Then that is who you are.
We have no identity because we have a lot of guys who take nights off.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Such a strange list of "one-dimensional players". Ill give you Malgin and Petan, but realistically they are irrelevant to this season and the future of the Leafs. Engvall, Johnsson, Kapanen have all shown they can score while being solid penalty killers, with Johnsson and Kapanen being awfully annoying to play against (although Johnsson takes too many boneheaded penalties as a result). Dermott can get gritty when needed, obviously isn't a pure tough-guy, but doesn't shy away. You can have Barrie as one dimensional, woo woo??
Ya.
I can see your point.
Just disagree.
Our secondary guys ( AHL ) bring very little.
They are all the same player.
Small/Skilled/Timid.
Korshkov/Agostino excepted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad