Great job by the OHL to suspend Christian Thomas for 10 games for a stick foul

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Toronto, ON - The Ontario Hockey League today announced the results of a review of an incident which took place in a game played in Oshawa on the 23rd of October, 2011 involving the Generals and the visiting Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club.

The incident reviewed was a match penalty for high sticking assessed to player Christian Thomas of the Oshawa Generals Hockey Club.

Based on such review, it is the position of the League that player Christian Thomas shall be suspended for ten (10) games, dating from but not including the game of Sunday, October 23rd, 2011.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-announces-disciplinary-action/107674

Click on the link. There is another link for the video there.

Looked to me like an intentional (but ruled unintentional) stick foul. Thomas is lucky that this was a glancing blow that did no damage. When he was on the ground, you see his stick just whip up at the opposing player. Any flagrant stick foul like this is disturbing, but if this connected it could have been seriously bad for the opposing player.

Maybe not 100% good on the OHL, because I am surprised that Thomas was able to convince them that the foul was unintentional (maybe I am reading the video wrong, but it does seem to say that Thomas convinced the disciplinarians that the swing was unintentional).

Either way, nice to see the OHL teaching a young player a lesson here.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Looks pretty vicious to me. I am not surprised though, this is about the 7th player to receive a 10+ game suspension this year for reckless incidents that could and should have been avoided.

Maybe the players will finally learn to control their sticks and respect the opponent?

I have no problem with heavy suspensions. As long as the players show such a disregard for eachother keep it up Branch!

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm a little surprised that you support the decision so much (since you're a Rangers fan). but it's a good move. stick plays like that can't be allowed in any level. I think Bouchard got suspended for a stick penalty earlier this season, so there's some consistency with both leagues.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
so, the fact that the player hasn't suffered a serious injury and came back in the game is a reason why it's "only" ten games?

We have the proof that if an injury occurs, the suspension will be longer.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
so, the fact that the player hasn't suffered a serious injury and came back in the game is a reason why it's "only" ten games?

We have the proof that if an injury occurs, the suspension will be longer.

if the player was injury he would of got more than 20 games.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Thomas is lucky he didn't connect better.

Hell yeah he is.

I'm a little surprised that you support the decision so much (since you're a Rangers fan). but it's a good move. stick plays like that can't be allowed in any level. I think Bouchard got suspended for a stick penalty earlier this season, so there's some consistency with both leagues.

Why? I'm no homer. I think my posting here shows that. With that said, Thomas probably even deserved more. I ****ing despise stick fouls like this and I hope the kid learns his lesson. Never want to see anything like this from him as a Ranger (or even again as a prospect)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Damn, that's really a brutal swing. Luckily his accuracy wasn't superb. Hopefully he'll learn during these ten games in which he won't be playing.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Thomas likely just cost himself a shot at the WJC team.

Shame, kid was absolutely amazing last year, but has struggled so far.

Mr Lahey*

I cant even see him swinging the stick? Am I missing something. All I can see is the reaction.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Camera his hard to tell but he did swing really hard... my eyes are not good enough to see if it was intentional

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Surely looks like there's some intention to slash the opponent there. Might not have been aiming for the head, and he's lucky he didn't get it better. I have absolutely no problem with this suspension - that could have been a very, very ugly black eye for our game.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Saw that while watching the game. It was intentional. He was getting pushed around infront of the net, and then when he was pushed/cross-checked to the ice, he turned around and took a swing at the Saginaw player's head. Reckless and stupid and very deserving of 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad