Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
39195.jpg

1977/78 - Dallas Smith (# 15), Gilbert Perreault (# 11) and Wayne Thomas (# 1)

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is weird, 'cause that's actually Wayne Thomas in goal and I didn't believe he wore #1 until 1979-80.

Good eye there FR, and I do believe your correct. Definitely Thomas. He wore 33 in 77/78, #1 starting the following season, 78/79 through 81 according to HockeyReference,... yet you think its 79/80?.... @DowntownBooster ... you have a source on that photo you can check?

Did you follow his career Ferris, a former Hab, Leaf?... First Wisconsin Badger (un-drafted, went to the Frozen 4 in 70 under Badger Bob Johnson) to win the SC in 72/73... although he didnt play any post season games. Did extremely well however in the handful of games in which he did play going 8-1... Won a Calder in 72 with the Nova Scotia Voyageurs.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
This is weird, 'cause that's actually Wayne Thomas in goal and I didn't believe he wore #1 until 1979-80.

Good catch FR. I have edited the post to list Wayne Thomas as the goalie. However, the Rangers only wore those uniforms for two seasons (1976-77 & 1977-78) and the picture includes Dallas Smith who only played for New York during the 1977-78 season.

Reactions: SealsFan

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Evel Knieval played briefly with the Charlotte Checkers of the old EHL, in 1959. He returned to Montana and formed a semi pro team named the Butte Bombers.

Bobby "Evel" Knieval
evel knievel 2 (1).jpg

Evel lacing up the skates to step on the ice for a Toronto Toros Practice,1973
1297412110334_ORIGINAL_Super_Portrait.jpg

Evel let's one rip on goal during his skate with The Toros..
a861cd3d1ca4ce70a8cd81897693bdeb.jpg

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Good eye there FR, and I do believe your correct. Definitely Thomas. He wore 33 in 77/78, #1 starting the following season, 78/79 through 81 according to HockeyReference,... yet you think its 79/80?.... [B]@DowntownBooster[/B] ... you have a source on that photo you can check?

Killion, sorry I missed your post last night when I replied to FerrisRox about Wayne Thomas. When I posted the original picture, I had checked Hockey Reference (www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/1978.html) for the Rangers roster of 1977-78 to see which players wore which numbers and also league wide of which individuals wore number one that season. Both times listed Doug Soetaert as wearing number one. It also listed Wayne Thomas as wearing number 33 that season which caused the confusion in the first place. However, as FerrisRox pointed out, the mask is that of Wayne Thomas. I did know the season was 1977-78 as that was the final year the Rangers wore the Ferguson designed uniforms and it was also the only season that Dallas Smith played for New York. Sorry to both of you for the mix up.

Last edited:
Reactions: SealsFan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killion, sorry I missed your post last night when I replied to FerrisRox about Wayne Thomas. When I posted the original picture, I had checked Hockey Reference (www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/1978.html) for the Rangers roster of 1977-78 to see which players wore which numbers and also league wide of which individuals wore number one that season. Both times listed Doug Soetaert as wearing number one. It also listed Wayne Thomas as wearing number 33 that season which caused the confusion in the first place. However, as FerrisRox pointed out, the mask is that of Wayne Thomas. I did know the season was 1977-78 as that was the final year the Rangers wore the Ferguson designed uniforms and it was also the only season that Dallas Smith played for New York. Sorry to both of you for the mix up.

No Worries as I enjoyed the picture for what it was/is & appreciated you posting it..... Dallas did only play for the Rangers that one season after being coaxed back out of Retirement by his old Bruins teammate Phil Esposito where of course Smith had spent his entire career, all through the 60's, 70's, 4X All Star, 2 Cups, league leader in +/- in 67/68... solid Stay-At-Home Defenceman. Nice to see him winning those Cups having paid the price, playing in the minors, playing through all those lean years in Boston during the twilight of the 06 era. Retired again, permanently after that season, seriously done & not real happy with his performance overall... So..... Could be hockeyreference has it wrong I suppose & that Thomas donned the #1 jersey late 77/78 season I guess..... Another "mystery" and not for the first time uh? :squint:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Some fun videos on RI high school hockey, notably Mount St Charles and Bishop Hendricken

early 90s recap on the rivalry, mention of Brian Lawton (Mount alum, 1st American taken 1st overall), and mentions a "up and coming sophomore, Bryan Berard"

Also a great recap on the career of coach Bill Belisle. who coached the likes of Lamoriello, Lawton, Berard, Boucher, Snow and Mathieu Schneider

Coach Belisle had over 1,000 career wins, won 32 state titles (26 consecutive), coached 20 NHL'ers

Reactions: Killion

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
DWo3E_KUQAA1mak.jpg

March 21, 1954 – Three future Hall of Famers - Referee Red Storey (1918-2006) trying to break up Gordie Howe (1928-2016) and Ted Kennedy (1925-2009). Howe picked up a “Gordie Howe hat trick” in the game with 7 PIM’s (including a fighting major) and 1+2, while Kennedy picked up 20 PIM’s

DYaaMn6W0AA135D.jpg

March 16, 1961 - Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion beating rookie Cesare Maniago for his 50th goal of the season, thus becoming the second NHL player, after teammate Rocket Richard, to score 50 during the regular season

$_61.JPG

1960s - Jean-Guy Talbot (# 17) in a hard battle with Eric Nesterenko

xoGTGWtBSdw.jpg

November 28, 1966 – Cold war showdown between the Soviets and their arch-nemesis Czechoslovakia. The Soviets in the photo includes Boris Mayorov (far left) and Vyacheslav Starshinov (# 18), as well as Evgeny Zimin (to the right of the goalie). Czechoslovakian players are Jiri Holecek (goalie), Jan Klapac (# 11), Frantisek Pospisil (sitting on the ice), Oldrich Machac (# 4) and Jan Havel (# 19)

H00048_s0078_web_1024x1024.jpg

1967-69 - Bobby Orr (# 4) putting on the brakes in front of Pete Stemkowski (# 12)

DUkBu2nUQAUeo9t.jpg

January 19, 1971 – Tony & Phil Esposito with their dad Pat at the 1971 NHL All-Star Game

dynamo1978.jpg

1978 – Dynamo Moscow team photo – Aside from having portraits of Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin hanging on the wall, there’s Kim Philby (1912-1988), the famous British double agent sitting in the front (the older gentleman in the front middle with a stick in his hands)

cut.jpg

1978-80 ca - Darryl Sittler in action

811129-JETS179_2009194.jpg

November 25, 1981 - Jimmy Mann (# 8) in a fight with Jack Hughes (# 28)

DonEdwards.jpeg

March 17, 1986 – Don Edwards making a great save. He would only play three more NHL games before retiring. Tiger Williams (# 22) – Dean Kennedy (# 6) – Gary Nylund (# 2) and Russ Courtnall (# 9) are the other players

GettyImages-53457662.jpg

May 3, 1986 – The late John Kordic (# 31) (1965-1992) is ready to take on George McPhee (# 21)

ap_9004050226.jpg

1989-91 - Steve Larmer knocking down Stu Gavin (# 12) in front of the North Stars goal

ExpArtForWhomLaFayette768x511.jpg

June 14, 1994 – Mike Richter making an acrobatic attempt on a Nathan Lafayette (# 25) shot that hit the post

2003-brodeur-niedermayer-kariya.jpg

May/June 2003 – Adam Oates (# 77) - Martin Brodeur (# 30) – Scott Niedermayer (# 27) and Paul Kariya

GettyImages-624271180.0.jpeg

2017/18 – Thomas Hickey (# 14) surprised to see referee Chris Schlenker (# 48) on his back like a turtle

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:) Very nice indeed @Robert Gordon Orr ... all rare, never seen before. Did some double~takes... Red Storey who in my minds eye ever older, paunchy, less hair.... Love the shot of Maniago in the Leafs crease, the overhead of the classic Soviet~Czech International matchup & group shot of Dynamo Moscow, ominous characters portraits staring out at us from the wall ... more modern flying bodies etc.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1960s Talbot and Nesterenko, possible slew foot coming up.

:laugh: Appears so, yes. Jean Guy has him in the trap, leveraged.... elbow or arm hand upstairs shoving him south, his skate raised downstairs just so about to send the poor guys leg north and.... voila... Talbot often overlooked or "forgotten" somewhat, heck of a feisty bruiser of a Defenceman who could really lay it on, and did have a nice bit of an offensive edge to him as well.

It was Talbots errant stick to Scotty Bowmans head in Junior that ended his dreams of making it to the NHL as a player yet obviously on a positive note changed history, with Scotty going on to the NHL as a Scout, Coach, GM & Executive, making history, breaking records.

Talbot as well playing with Jean Beliveau in Quebec as a member of the ACES before both joining the Habs, Jean Guy winning 5 straight Cups right out of the chute, 2 more in the 60's before being exposed in the Expansion Draft & moving on.... on the ice for Orr's "The Goal" as a member of the Blues, closeup view as Picard sent him sailing.

Reactions: Tarantula

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I believe that is actually Chris Evans, #24 for The Sabres. Played briefly, wore #24, and wasn't real tall. Definitely not Bill Hajt! lol

You sure its not Don Van Vliet Howie?....Dude who claimed to be related to Slim Pickens?.... Same Dude who claimed to have been engaged to give lectures at the prestigious Barnsdall Art Center... wait for it now........ at the age of 11 & so on & so on?.... now... in addition to performing & recording as Cap'n Beefheart... didnt Donny there also claim to have played briefly for the Sabres?... Defense?... Also #24?.... kinda looks like him from profile.... cleaned up some but passably close.... Geesh. Poor Roger having to play behind that guy.... Guy having to listen to his fairytales... stories on the ice.... his horrid music sometimes on CHOM FM while driving out to Dorval, down to the Forum... no wonder he smoked. Calm your nerves...

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
You sure its not Don Van Vliet Howie?.... Guy who claimed to be related to Slim Pickens?.... Guy who claimed to have been engaged to give lectures at the prestigious Barnsdall Art Center at the age of 11 & so on & so on?.... in addition to performing & recording as Cap'n Beefheart... didnt Donny there also play briefly for the Sabres... Defense... #24?.... kinda looks like him from profile, on the side.... cleaned up some but passable.... Poor Guy. :(

Maybe! It does look like he's got some sort some sort of Trout Mask Replica going on there!!:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->