Great goalscorers who couldn't shoot

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not sure I follow...? The stats I see show Smyth scored 422 RS goals and 28 in the playoffs. Is it incorrect?

Go to hockeyreference.com. 386 goals and you are correct about those 28 in the postseason. Might have been a typo where you were looking. 386 sounds very much in the neighbourhood I'd have had Smyth's totals.

What? No way! Robitaille had a tremendous shot and scored a lot of his goals from considerable distances.

Hmmm, perhaps. Maybe I am remembering things a lot more by the garbage goals he scored. They didn't call him "Lucky Luc" for nothing. I remember a lot of his goals around the net. I just can't picture a lot of times Robitaille teed one up. Maybe he did have a better shot than I can remember but I don't remember him using it much from a distance.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I might be remembering wrong, but I think Robitaille may have had a decent slapshot. Certainly, he made his living chipping loose pucks into the net, though.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I saw Robitaille score A LOT of goals in his career, and I saw him score them a lot of different ways. Certainly he was adept at picking up rebounds or potting short-shots from in front of the net, but he was equally adept at slapshots from the top of the circle, wristers from the slot, etc.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
I wouldn't say Ryan Smyth had "goalscoring prowess", but he did score 450 NHL goals with one of the worst shots known to man. I mean, I'm a lecturer who hasn't been on ice five times in the past decade and I think I can shoot better than him...

What about his GOAT slapshot off the rush

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->