Great Fight Debate - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I honestly don’t know what the answer is, (if there is one) but if you don’t think the Bruins stars get run more than any team in the league I don’t know what to tell you. Ok the Devils do, that’s it. Now, there may be no answer but frustrated fans are only looking for answers while other just throw their hands up and say nothing can be done...isn’t the answer maybe somewhere in between?

I'd have to watch every team in the league in order to gauge it. But like I've said countless times, if someone wants to run another player, no enforcer is going to change that. There's literally nothing that can stop it, even retribution after the fact. Those hits will occur regardless.

Now if you want to talk about the overall physical game and getting out hit by other teams, I get that argument, but that's a vastly different topic than prevention/enforcing.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'd have to watch every team in the league in order to gauge it. But like I've said countless times, if someone wants to run another player, no enforcer is going to change that. There's literally nothing that can stop it, even retribution after the fact. Those hits will occur regardless.

Now if you want to talk about the overall physical game and getting out hit by other teams, I get that argument, but that's a vastly different topic than prevention/enforcing.
Would you agree or disagree that the Bruins played differently against Buffalo when they acquired John Scott?

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Would you agree or disagree that the Bruins played differently against Buffalo when they acquired John Scott?

In the two seasons before Scott arrived the big bad Bruins engaged in 12 fights with the mighty Buffalo Sabres.

In the two seasons Scott was a member..3 total fights.

They were sadly afraid/intimidated/reeled in, whatever you want to call it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
In the two seasons before Scott arrived the big bad Bruins engaged in 12 fights with the mighty Buffalo Sabres.

I believe two of those were with Scott, too. Thornton got speedbagged, and McQuaid jumped him after a hit to Eriksson and bailed out, lol.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Historically hes been a player very aware of what's around him on the ice. I think teams will catch him the moment hes not looking. Hes the number 1 target now and has to make offensive plays. Bad news for Krejci

As an aside on Krejci.....one of the times in the last couple of games where he got rocked.....he did have his head down, but if I'm remembering it right, he was at the blue line trying to get the puck out of the zone and it was bouncing, so my thinking is that he knew he'd get hit if he looked down, but did it anyway to ensure the puck got out.

I'm pointing this out because after the play a lot of posters were saying it was his own fault because he had his head down.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I believe two of those were with Scott, too. Thornton got speedbagged, and McQuaid jumped him after a hit to Eriksson and bailed out, lol.

Indeed.

10-11

Stuart, McQuaid, campbell and Lucic all fought McCormick.. McQuaid vs Gaustad and Manchuck vs Montador

11-12

Lucic Gaustad
Chara - Regher
Thornton McCormick
Lucic Kaleta
Thornton Weber
Thornton Regher

lol

How Chara or especially Lucic didn't stand up and fight Scott is still ridiculous IMO. Oh wait cant lose them for 5 minutes, but it's ok when you beat up guys from a couple weight classes below

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
As an aside on Krejci.....one of the times in the last couple of games where he got rocked.....he did have his head down, but if I'm remembering it right, he was at the blue line trying to get the puck out of the zone and it was bouncing, so my thinking is that he knew he'd get hit if he looked down, but did it anyway to ensure the puck got out.

I'm pointing this out because after the play a lot of posters were saying it was his own fault because he had his head down.

I'm not surprised hes getting targeted been expecting it with more regularity now , just at this stage in his career if he keeps getting rocked like this is it worth the permanent damage that can go with it. 4 huge hits in the last 40 games hes received. Feel the same if you see Bergy get rocked and Backes too

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Indeed.

10-11

Stuart, McQuaid, campbell and Lucic all fought McCormick.. McQuaid vs Gaustad and Manchuck vs Montador

11-12

Lucic Gaustad
Chara - Regher
Thornton McCormick
Lucic Kaleta
Thornton Weber
Thornton Regher

lol

How Chara or especially Lucic didn't stand up and fight Scott is still ridiculous IMO. Oh wait cant lose them for 5 minutes, but it's ok when you beat up guys from a couple weight classes below

Give McQuaid a ton of credit for taking on Scott after he cheap shotted Loui.

Did it immediately because he plays the game right.

Reactions: BBruins

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You guys do realize that when Thornton fought Scott (2012-13 season), they had a roster that you guys want today. And really, what did that stop from happening?

And when McQuaid fought him in 13-14, they had Lucic, Iggy, McQ, Chara, Thornton, etc.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
You guys do realize that when Thornton fought Scott (2012-13 season), they had a roster that you guys want today. And really, what did that stop from happening?

And when McQuaid fought him in 13-14, they had Lucic, Iggy, McQ, Chara, Thornton, etc.
I agree, they had a pretty tough roster. But there's no doubt Scott was the big dog of the bunch. They absolutely played Buffalo a lot differently.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Didn't realize Vanek got traded so early on in 13-14.

I still find those Sabres teams to be pathetic at best. If Scott's impact was so great you'd figure it would work against more than one team.
Pathetic or not, Scott changed the way the Bruins played the Sabres. So yeah, Intimidation I'd say does play a role in the league.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Pathetic or not, Scott changed the way the Bruins played the Sabres. So yeah, Intimidation I'd say does play a role in the league.

It does but the rest of the team has to be good enough to actually take advantage of the opponents intimidation correct?

Seems this team needs help in both areas.

Reactions: LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I do realize Scott neutered their physical play. Two different times, you can't have those rosters today, but the Scott years were proff positive one player could be a deterrent.... Exhibit A, the Boston Bruins....Lucic, Chara and co weren't beating up the little guys anymore that's for sure.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It's just a never ending argument. Again, I don't think people are saying for certain that X player will prevent a guy from getting run. I think people are saying more less that having a guy in the bottom 6 that isn't a punching bag could help keep teams a bit more honest. Will it prevent heavy hits to stars from happening? Probably not entirely, but you'd be a fool if you think it doesn't play a factor. It may not be HUGE, but it does play a factor.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It does but the rest of the team has to be good enough to actually take advantage of the opponents intimidation correct?

Seems this team needs help in both areas.
I 100% agree, by the way.

The overall construction of this team leaves a lot to be desired, honestly. I think as it sits right now (unless there's a trade, or an upgrade on a position or two up front) this team will be lucky to escape the first round.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree, they had a pretty tough roster. But there's no doubt Scott was the big dog of the bunch. They absolutely played Buffalo a lot differently.

So if you believe that, why would getting guys like that change anything, given that per your example, even a rough and tough roster can and was intimidated by one goon?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
it's infuriating what's happening. The poster who talked about creating space for skill players is 100% correct when it comes to having a physical presence.. Im sure Pasta watching Krejci getting utterly destroyed 2 game in a row is going to make him think twice about making plays that put him at risk to receive the same type of hit. It's easy for us to dismiss this bc we aren't the ones putting our lives at risk receiving these HR hits or have agenda's to defend here(not saying this is you)
There was nothing wrong, or predatory at all about the last hit Krejci took. He came across the middle and got hit. If you think having any tough guys on your team prevents that hit, you're sorely mistaken. And there was no response there because none was needed. It was a perfectly fine hit. You want to say the Bruins should be more on the giving end than the receiving end, I'll be 100% in agreement with you. But both teams are going to get hit, and my original point is that it's not solely the Bruins that this is an issue for.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I do realize Scott neutered their physical play. Two different times, you can't have those rosters today, but the Scott years were proff positive one player could be a deterrent.... Exhibit A, the Boston Bruins....Lucic, Chara and co weren't beating up the little guys anymore that's for sure.

What about Lucic taking on Colton Orr? He was a legit heavy, yet Lucic had no issue being physical when he played that team and he took on Orr too boot.

I just don't think the enforcer does much of anything, TBH, despite the odd anecdotal piece of evidence.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What about Lucic taking on Colton Orr? He was a legit heavy, yet Lucic had no issue being physical when he played that team and he took on Orr too boot.

I just don't think the enforcer does much of anything, TBH, despite the odd anecdotal piece of evidence.
because Lucic could hang with Orr. Colton Orr was a great fighter and tough guy, but wasn't as scary as John Scott (or Georges Laraque who Lucic did get intimidated by)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->