Great Expectations

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My original intent was not to say "Don't get too excited, Bruins fans." It was to caution against unrealistic expectations of Hayes (and Belesky) to contribute more than they probably can, either physically or on the score board.

(It's a good thing Belesky signed for less than a big payday, because if he underperformed under that circumstance, he'd be crucified.)

Just let them play hard, play their game and contribute, that's all.

Word.

I really wasn't trying to target your post as one of those "1,000" posts. There just seems to be an overabundance of caution against being optimistic. People should definitely take the time to understand both Hayes' and Beleskey's game, but to me there's no reason why they can't perform quite admirably given the positions they'll be put in.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Word.

I really wasn't trying to target your post as one of those "1,000" posts. There just seems to be an overabundance of caution against being optimistic. People should definitely take the time to understand both Hayes' and Beleskey's game, but to me there's no reason why they can't perform quite admirably given the positions they'll be put in.

Word. ;-)

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yup, one in the same, "Tombstone" was arguably his best film ever. "You're no daisy" and "I'm your huckelberry" and not to mention the bar scene where he mimics Johnny Ringo (Michael Biehn) spinning his metal cup around.

"Real Genius" was also a classic. One of my other favorites was "Willow". Didn't do well at the box office but how could you not love Madmartigan as a character. :yo:

Well, probably his best performance.

"Why Ike, whatever do you mean?"

So, what film was he bigger in: Wonderland or The Doors?

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I couldnt help but piss myself laughing reading his description of Bruins fans vs Habs, that was a classic news piece :clap: :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hal Gill has some words of wisdom for Jimmy Hayes, and for Bruins fans who confuse size with meanness. From the moment Boston signed him, my concern has been that fans insist he throw his weight around ala Milan Lucic.

Jimmy Hayes is not Milan Lucic. Let's not run the guy out of town (eg Blake Wheeler, who scored 20 here, I believe, and went on to have a pretty good career) because of that fact. And I hope Hayes is smart enough, and mature enough, not to try to be something he's not. If he plays his game & contributes, that's enough for me.

Add to this the pressure of playing in your home town. I really hope Bruins fans will be relatively thoughtful about this, in the same way that expectations for Matt Belesky should be tempered by realism as well.

Not holding my breath in either case, unfortunately.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/h...xpectations-hal-gill-offers-cautionary-tale-b

Thanks for posting this.

Gill is nuts on IMO.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thanks for posting this.

Gill is nuts on IMO.

No, I don't think so.

He wasn't Mr. Big & thus physical, neither was Wheeler (or Joe Thornton). That doesn't mean Gill wasn't a decent player who contributed when slotted in the proper role.

As much as I detest MTL fans, he also has a point about their ability to recognize & appreciate the small parts of the game often overlooked by many. If I saw a nifty poke check & understood it as such,I'd applauded, too.

Let's face it, Bruins fans can be a cro mag, reactionary lot, and I include myself in that description. When we see size, we think physical, BBB. Well, perhaps it would be profitable to recognize that a big guy can be effective without bringing the nasty.

This also comes from someone who wanted Reilly Smith, Carl Soderberg & Loui Eriksson out because they were soft. (At this point, with the other two gone, it may be a good idea keeping the useful LE around, given the makeup of the team at present.) So, so much for consistent logic. Or, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." ;-)

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Hal Gill has some words of wisdom for Jimmy Hayes, and for Bruins fans who confuse size with meanness. From the moment Boston signed him, my concern has been that fans insist he throw his weight around ala Milan Lucic.

Jimmy Hayes is not Milan Lucic. Let's not run the guy out of town (eg Blake Wheeler, who scored 20 here, I believe, and went on to have a pretty good career) because of that fact. And I hope Hayes is smart enough, and mature enough, not to try to be something he's not. If he plays his game & contributes, that's enough for me.

Add to this the pressure of playing in your home town. I really hope Bruins fans will be relatively thoughtful about this, in the same way that expectations for Matt Belesky should be tempered by realism as well.

Not holding my breath in either case, unfortunately.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/h...xpectations-hal-gill-offers-cautionary-tale-b

I had no idea Gill was carrying that baggage around.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
No, I don't think so.

He wasn't Mr. Big & thus physical, neither was Wheeler (or Joe Thornton). That doesn't mean Gill wasn't a decent player who contributed when slotted in the proper role.

As much as I detest MTL fans, he also has a point about their ability to recognize & appreciate the small parts of the game often overlooked by many. If I saw a nifty poke check & understood it as such,I'd applauded, too.

Let's face it, Bruins fans can be a cro mag, reactionary lot, and I include myself in that description. When we see size, we think physical, BBB. Well, perhaps it would be profitable to recognize that a big guy can be effective without bringing the nasty.

This also comes from someone who wanted Reilly Smith, Carl Soderberg & Loui Eriksson out because they were soft. (At this point, with the other two gone, it may be a good idea keeping the useful LE around, given the makeup of the team at present.) So, so much for consistent logic. Or, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." ;-)

Boston fans can be Cro-Magnon? I appreciate the finer points of hockey, and I don't want to see a European game on the ice. That doesn't mean we are Cro-Magnon fans. It's about whether or not you believe hockey is a physical sport. I think it is. I think checking is part of the game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Was never a fan of Gill and to me this reads as if he is saying Hab fans are more knowledgeable about the game vs. Bruin fans. Gill was not booed and criticized when he was here due to lack of toughness we all knew he was a pansy.

He was criticized here because he sucked and not 100% of that was his fault. Here they tried to use him like a #1/#2 D-man which he never was. He was to slow and didn’t have the hockey IQ to be a true top pairing defensemen. He excelled with the Pens and Habs because he was put in the correct role of a depth D-man.

I never liked his attitude and remember an episode of something like behind the B back in the day where he was out to dinner with teammates. I remember him pretty much mocking the average Joe and acting like he was so much better. That’s how it came off to me anyway and why I never liked him after that. So really when I read this I was not shocked in the least.

Isn't that common knowledge?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Boston fans can be Cro-Magnon? I appreciate the finer points of hockey, and I don't want to see a European game on the ice. That doesn't mean we are Cro-Magnon fans. It's about whether or not you believe hockey is a physical sport. I think it is. I think checking is part of the game.

Of course checking is part of the game. But you can't deny that there is a certain segment of Bruins fans who won't be satisfied with a guy who just checks hard, battles in front of the net and digs in the corners without constantly dropping the gloves. They want fights and intimidation.

Not that there's anything wrong with fights and intimidation, when the time is right. But regarding Hayes especially, he can't be something he's not, and I hope, as Gordon said, he's allowed to be the player he is without catching constant crap from that certain segment of Bruins fans.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Of course checking is part of the game. But you can't deny that there is a certain segment of Bruins fans who won't be satisfied with a guy who just checks hard, battles in front of the net and digs in the corners without constantly dropping the gloves. They want fights and intimidation.

Not that there's anything wrong with fights and intimidation, when the time is right. But regarding Hayes especially, he can't be something he's not, and I hope, as Gordon said, he's allowed to be the player he is without catching constant crap from that certain segment of Bruins fans.

Artie!

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
I think we'll all be slightly disappointed in Hayes' abilities.

I'll bet that we'll be frustrated throughout the season talking about how he can't skate, can't handle a puck and can't shoot very well.

But I think he'll score his fair share of goals. 20 is reasonable, all crashing the net, jamming home rebounds. The dirty goals. Hopefully some of them are clutch GWG's vs. MTL too.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think we'll all be slightly disappointed in Hayes' abilities.

I'll bet that we'll be frustrated throughout the season talking about how he can't skate, can't handle a puck and can't shoot very well.

But I think he'll score his fair share of goals. 20 is reasonable, all crashing the net, jamming home rebounds. The dirty goals. Hopefully some of them are clutch GWG's vs. MTL too.

That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
The new look of this team with Beleskey, Hayes and Connelly in, plus the healthy state of Chara, Seids and Krejci, and a full season of Pasta and Spooner has me pretty excited for the start of next season. On paper, there is still work to be done to this line up, but really, who knows?

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Frankly, I'm ok if Hayes doesn't throw 200 or 300 hits. As long as he actively battles in the corners and gets nasty in front of the net, in the crease...that's where it's going to count. Hits are great, and they can take their toll on the other team, but I'd rather see a moron like Rinaldo doing all teh stupid hitting if it means Hayes focuses on the finer points of the game and actually can contribute a great deal more. At this point, offense is what's required. We need to see that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Welcome back!

You're dead right about this. If Hayes doesn't belt someone into the press box he'll be labelled "soft". You can count on it. The same thing has been said about Loui Eriksson- the guy makes his living in front of the net but since he doesn't knock people over the glass he's "soft".
Please....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad