OT: great article on Chelios

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Perfect example of a guy who made it on sheer will and determination. Always has been and will be my favorite NHL player.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I like what he said about Smith, but makes me wonder why Smith is taking longer to adjust to the system than others. Although, I suppose except for Dekeyser, he's pretty much the greenest guy out there.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I don't know Smith so it's hard to say he's stupid but I think he's more high strung than Dekeyser. I saw with DD last year from his first game that he has a much calmer demeanor than Smith. Mistakes (and he makes them) don't seem to rattle him much, he just tries to recover. Smitty on the other hand seems to compound his mistakes.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I was just thinking about this topic the other day. I wonder which now retired players actually still culd take a NHL roster spot. Lidstrom probably would and probably Kris Draper too. Fedorov's making a KHL comeback. Could he still be 13th forward/4C on a lottery team?

A spontainious, brainstormed list of players who maybe still could make a team if they wanted to. Pure speculation, of course:

Fedorov
Lidstrom
Draper
Hasek
Recchi
Forsberg (if he could accept playing way below his potential)
Lindros (4C/13th?)
Scott Niedermayer

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I was just thinking about this topic the other day. I wonder which now retired players actually still culd take a NHL roster spot. Lidstrom probably would and probably Kris Draper too. Fedorov's making a KHL comeback. Could he still be 13th forward/4C on a lottery team?

A spontainious, brainstormed list of players who maybe still could make a team if they wanted to. Pure speculation, of course:

Fedorov
Lidstrom
Draper
Hasek
Recchi
Forsberg (if he could accept playing way below his potential)
Lindros (4C/13th?)
Scott Niedermayer

Hasn't Hasek struggled to make a team overseas in recent years? I mean, I am sure if Hasek played one game and one game only he may be able to give it his all and perform decent, but I think Hasek, and Forsberg, and probably a number of other former players could play a game or two, but injuries would derail it as well as just overall not being quick enough anymore. Draper could probably still play somewhere, especially if he works as hard as he does in the gym. Lidstrom, obviously.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I think Chelios feels a kindred spirit with Smith because they went to the same school and they have the same competitive spirit. I have said for years that Smith is a Chelios clone, he is cocky, likes his "spirits" and plays with an edge and mouth. So I agree with Chelios that playing in a system where he has to think and playing with a waste like Quincey has affected his play. I would love to see Smith play with a more stay at home, crease clearing type of defenseman that would bring out his abilities. Smith will never be a defensive defenseman, but he can learn to be decent enough. I still think he has tremendous upside and will be better than Kindl at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad