Confirmed with Link: Gravy re-signed - 1-year two-way deal $735k/$350k

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Better be able to bury, and expect an AHL guarantee.
Gotta figure that if Byram has to be sent back to junior, Graves will get the first crack at the 3rd pairing PMD spot next to Connauton. With us taking advantage of Rosen's waiver status to begin the season unless he just forces the staff's hand wrt that job in camp/preseason. No?

I'll be cautiously optimistic if that happens; though I'd prefer him as our #7 who platoons with Byram when the kid needs some time off; either physically or mentally; given how his previous NHL stint tapered out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably is gone next season, but excited to see what he can do. Compared to Rosen who has more talent, Graves has the NHL style of body and perhaps game. Was stoked to see what he did last season, but we also gotta remember he was given very easy minutes...easier than Barrie's constant offensive zone starts.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Am I correct in assuming that he's eligible for waivers if sent down, despite having a two-way contract?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd really like to see him stick around for a while. Big fan of his game. He plays aggressively (sometimes too aggressively) at both ends of the ice. Really refreshing on a team that gets caught floating around trying to block shots way too often. And I still think that shot of his can really evolve into a weapon. It was fun watching forwards keep dishing it to him and him just firing it off over and over again on the same shift.

He is also one of the very few players who actually works better at the NHL than the AHL.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not a bad deal for him. He's fine as a fill in depth defenseman when there are injuries but I don't think he's much more than that.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Someone’s getting fired for this early leak. Shouldn’t be announced until Friday.

Congrats to Gravy. That’s a sexy AHL salary too.

Reactions: cgf

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Interesting that we now have 6 defenseman with contracts that expire next summer, and another 4 the year after.

This setup essentially gives Sakic & Bednar the flexibility to use this season to evaluate the young guys before deciding who to invest in long-term (particularly with regards to the bottom pairing). Good management.

Expiring in 2020:
  • Zadorov - $3.2m (RFA)
  • Barberio - $1.45m (UFA)
  • Connauton - $1.375 (UFA)
  • Graves - $750k (RFA)
  • Girard - ELC (RFA)
  • Meloche - ELC (RFA)
Expiring in 2021:
  • Ian Cole - $4.25m (UFA) (note: his final year has a real salary of $3.0m but AAV of $4.25, which might be helpful if we want to move him in 2020)
  • Rosén - 750k (UFA)
  • Timmins - ELC (RFA)
  • Makar - ELC (RFA)
Others:
  • Byram's ELC will end either 2022 or 2023
  • Johnson's $6m contract expires in 2023

Reactions: MarkT

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What happens on Friday?