Position: C/LW
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 183 lbs.
DOB: 2-19-1999, Edina, MN
Shoots: Left
Committed To: North Dakota

Ranked #39 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #36 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #24 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #42 by Bob McKenzie

Club Stats
Year|Team|GP|G|A|PTS|PIM
2014-15|Shattuck St. Mary's|52|31|31|62|64
2015-16|USNTDP (USHL)|35|14|9|23|54
2015-16|USNTDP U17|58|23|21|44|88
2016-17|USNTDP (USHL)|26|8|16|24|44
2016-17|USNTDP U18|65|26|35|61|106

International Stats
Year|Team|GP|G|A|PTS|PIM
2015|USA WHC-17|5|2|3|5|6
2016|USA WJC-18|7|3|5|8|10

What They're Saying

From Red Line Report:

Smooth skating winger is a natural sniper with a terrifc shot. Has a knack
for fnding open ice in scoring territory, and then buries his chances with a clean release - gets great
wrist snap. Competitive kid who plays with some fre and doesn’t mind mixing it up in corners or going
to the dirty areas to get chances. Underrated playmaker who sees the ice well. Needs to work on
his play away from the puck, in particular picking up his defensive zone assignments.

Kevin Wickersham, DobberProspects.com:

With the USHL’s USNTDP Juniors the University of North Dakota commit continued his fast-skating, physical play featuring sharp stick-handling and a rifle shot. Mismash can be a mean checker, prevailing against the boards and in positioning scrums. Difficult to slow when bulldozing toward the net. Good bet to make a difference as a hard-nosed middle-six scorer.

Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst:

Mismash, a North Dakota commit, is a dual-purpose threat who is money on the power play and in odd-man situations. He’s a tough matchup who battles hard and can wow you with slick plays close to the goal. Mismash is a dangerous player with the puck because you really don’t know whether he’s going to pass it across with accuracy or snipe it through the tiniest of openings. Without the puck, he’s a menacing force who likes to throw his weight around and get in the face of opposing puck carriers. Mismash is a physical winger with an excellent shot/release combo who can be a load to handle in the offensive zone, and his ability to fire pucks off the pass, especially on the rush, is among the best of his draft peers. His straight-line speed and first-step quickness are both above average, but he is tremendously strong on his skates and can barrel through a wall of opponents while keeping the puck. He can lose control of his emotions and take a significant amount of offensive-zone penalties, but toning that down is far easier than finding a goal scoring winger who buries his easy chances.

Chris Dilks, SBNation College Hockey:
What I Like
Stick-handling ability

Mismash has great one-on-one stickhandling ability. He’s not likely to beat a defender with his speed, but he’s got really quick hands that can help him move a puck through a defender. This makes him effective on zone entries and can help him create opportunities in heavy traffic situations.

Effective in front of the net

A perpetual source of frustration for me this past season was the NTDP’s insistence on using Mismash in the high slot or point on their power play. Mismash does have a very good shot, but I feel like he could incredibly effective working down low in front of the net. He’s not huge, but he’s a strong and solidly built which allows him to gain position, and his great hands allow him to make quick plays in tight spaces. I think that is where he’ll be best able to use his offensive skills going forward.

What I Don’t Like
Zone-to-zone player

As mentioned above, Mismash’s skating is passable, but not elite. He’s much more effective once play is established inside a zone rather than a more up-and-down style game. He’s decent off the rush when he can use his hands to create an angle to get off his heavy snap shot, but he’s much more effective when his team can set up on the cycle in the offensive zone.

Doesn’t create

Mismash is more of a finisher than a player that creates opportunities for his teammates. That’s not necessarily a huge negative because teams need players that can finish off opportunities, but it also means he needs to be paired with players that can do the dirty work and get him the puck in good situations, and means he can be a bit inconsistent at times.

Last edited:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
judging by his Twitter follows, he seems to be a Flyers fan.

so if true, at least he hates the Pens as much as we do now :sarcasm:

Reactions: bdub24

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
One of the few prospects I know anything about. I like this pick to counter the smaller prospects/players for the Preds. Playing in the NCHC for NoDak he'll get plenty of physical matchups to build on what he's good at. Plus plenty of TV coverage so you guys can check him out. He's got a pretty good frame that to me looks like he will add 10 solid pounds of muscle mass with ease. Thumbs up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I always liked him better than Bellows. Talented guy. Scorer.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was running the bench at a couple of his Peewee tryouts. He stood out, even amongst some of the really good players that were there( I think there were about 4 other top 500 players there).

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Does Mismash seem a bit like he'd be NHL ready as early as this or at least 2018-19 season? Like Matthew Tkachuk situation, obviously not in terms of skill but in terms of strength, speed and hockey IQ.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Does Mismash seem a bit like he'd be NHL ready as early as this or at least 2018-19 season? Like Matthew Tkachuk situation, obviously not in terms of skill but in terms of strength, speed and hockey IQ.

He will play at North Dakota for at least 2 years and probably a year in the AHL before seeing Nashville imo. He will get some great development at NoDak.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Like Farrance he is returning to college hockey for his senior season. Is there any concern that he is interested in pursuing the free agent route the way Jimmy Vesey did? Obviously, he did not have the breakout season that Farrance did but seems to be progressing nicely with the Sioux.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Like Farrance he is returning to college hockey for his senior season. Is there any concern that he is interested in pursuing the free agent route the way Jimmy Vesey did? Obviously, he did not have the breakout season that Farrance did but seems to be progressing nicely with the Sioux.
It's tough to discern any progress in his game if you aren't watching him play (I'm not). I vaguely remember liking him at the draft, probably from his NTDP games and at the U18, but I don't think he has given us much reason to notice him since. :dunno:

That being the case, we don't make much noise about him going the full 4 years. It sort of seems like he needs that senior year to really put himself back on our radar? But if he does come up with a monster year, great... for him if he chooses to go to free agency, or for us, either way. Until and unless that happens, however, we aren't getting too excited about it like we did with Vesey and now with Farrance.

Anyway, thanks for going through some of our prospects! Your posts are serving as a good reminder about hockey... especially at a time of year when we're normally starting to focus on the entry draft and reviewing our prospect cupboards. :handclap:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Anyway, thanks for going through some of our prospects! Your posts are serving as a good reminder about hockey... especially at a time of year when we're normally starting to focus on the entry draft and reviewing our prospect cupboards. :handclap:

Thanks for the information — and he compliment. This is taking my mind off the boredom too. Ironically, I used to cover the Predators and cannot believe how much the prospect pool has changed in three years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Another NCAA draft pick we gave a 2-year ELC to - wonder if that will be the new way to get college prospects to sign with you.
Well, you don't really have any choice in that. The # of ELC years is purely based on age, so you give them the number of years their age dictates, period.

Mismash has basically turned into a gritty bottom-6 type of guy. May not have the wheels to make the NHL. But who knows. I guess they found Smith while looking at him. They were pretty effective in their way in the NCAA, but that doesn't easily translate to NHL upside. He'll still have to work on his quickness, see how things progress in those full 2 years in Milwaukee, I suspect. But all to the good, get these guys in, see how it goes.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Well, you don't really have any choice in that. The # of ELC years is purely based on age, so you give them the number of years their age dictates, period.

Mismash has basically turned into a gritty bottom-6 type of guy. May not have the wheels to make the NHL. But who knows. I guess they found Smith while looking at him. They were pretty effective in their way in the NCAA, but that doesn't easily translate to NHL upside. He'll still have to work on his quickness, see how things progress in those full 2 years in Milwaukee, I suspect. But all to the good, get these guys in, see how it goes.

He doesn't seem to have the skating suddenness/quickness to make the league. Maybe he can be developed more, but it seems like skating is one of the most common reasons for failure when trying to transition up.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad