Grand Theft Auto V

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm shocked that there isn't a dedicated GTA V thread already.

What are everyone's thoughts on this game overall?

I've played since the initial launch on PS3/XB360 and I think the evolution of this game is astounding. When the online came out it was fun messing around in free-modes and the basic game modes were entertaining, but it was kind of a bare-bones type of experience. The long-awaited heists were delayed and delayed, but were well worth the wait once they were released, in my opinion.

I think the #1 thing that Rockstar really got right here is making every DLC free. This has enabled them to jam-pack the game full of different vehicles, weapons, and game modes all without players having to continually buy the DLC's. Aside from purchase price (Paid $210 total - PS3 Collector's edition + PS4 Standard) I haven't spent a dime on this game, but I've been incredibly entertained by this game and have logged countless hours.

The next evolution of this online experience is in the form of the newest properties to buy, given the DoomsDay Heist line of missions. My brother just recently started playing about 2 months ago and I try to impress upon him how incredibly different this game is compared to launch.

When the game was released you could buy small garages or one of a handful of "high-end apartments" and that was about it... Players now can buy: apartments, underground bunkers, yachts, facilities, MC clubs, CEO offices, warehouse, Hangars, Vehicle cargo warehouses, mobile command centers, and Avengers.

Vehicles were initially pretty bland, with a handful of high-end vehicles in each category (most people drove the Elegy, Entity, or a muscle car) and apart from the Buzzard there wasn't much in the way of weaponized vehicles... Without listing all of them, it's fair to say there is now a wide array of different weaponized vehicles for both land and air vehicles, each with their own strengths and drawbacks.

In terms of game-modes the game is far and away more engaging. One of the biggest things they've done is add in the free-mode lobby challenges as well as the CEO/MC missions, but the variety of deathmatches, stunt races, rival missions, not to mention any of the user-created fun matches as well.

I'm not sure if it is due to a glitch that R* has overlooked, or if it's just something that they're not patching to allow players to do it, but with "The Bogdan Problem" doomsday heist two players can actually grind out good amounts of money per hour to afford the things that you want ($1.5-2m an hour per player).

The one gripe that I do have with this game is that most of the new content in the game seems to be a money-dump to encourage players to buy Shark Cards. It's not enough to just get the facility, you need to buy multiple different kinds of properties to be able to do different things or upgrade certain weapons/vehicles. The new high end vehicles that they've added are very over-priced compared to other comparable vehicles.

The other gripe is with the network servers, since launch they've been unreliable and on certain nights they can be borderline unplayable.

Overall, I find this game to be incredibly well managed by Rockstar. The free DLC ensures that the game evolves for everyone, not just people who can/will shell out cash for DLC's. The attention to detail by Rockstar is impressive, as always, and the GTA universe is true to their style. GTA Games usually have a long time between releases, but I'm already thinking forward to how crazy GTA 6 is going to be.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
One of my favourite games of all time. One of my top 5 gaming moments is when there was like 12 of us all playing for the entire weekend when it first came out, the online is so great to just f*** around on. The heists are a ton of fun too if youre with a good group of people

Reactions: Roman Fell

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
One of my favourite games of all time. One of my top 5 gaming moments is when there was like 12 of us all playing for the entire weekend when it first came out, the online is so great to just **** around on. The heists are a ton of fun too if youre with a good group of people
Yeah, this game just has so much depth. Also in my top 5 favorites all-time. I would agree with you about the first weekend of release, my best friend and I sat playing side-by-side in his house and just marveling at how awesome everything was. I can have fun playing for hours and "accomplishing" nothing.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Am I the only one who didn't think it was that great?

Lots of great designs and work put into it, but I was not all that engaged and only spent 19 or so hours on it, a lot of it trying to make money online by doing random events.

Reactions: Diddy

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I tried the online, had some laughs with my brother but honestly the dudes driving around in a van mowing us down with assault rifles every chance they got kind of put a crimp in our fun lol

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I absolutely loved the game. Nearly 6 years ago. And then again 4 years ago.

The lack of single-player DLC has given me no reason to go back to it, though, making this long gap between Rockstar games particularly painful. Still a friggin' amazing game, though, they earned my double purchase...just wish they'd give me a reason to dip my toes back in since.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Am I the only one who didn't think it was that great?

Lots of great designs and work put into it, but I was not all that engaged and only spent 19 or so hours on it, a lot of it trying to make money online by doing random events.

I lost interest after about 15 hours.

I want to like GTA games more then I do. The last one I spent significant time in was Vice City

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
The amount of hours I've put into it is obscene. 2 full story play throughs with the first doing essentially everything. I still throw it in every now and then just to kill an hour doing the most random shit.

It's the perfect game. When GTA V and The Last of Us were released just a few months apart it was my golden era of gaming.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The amount of hours I've put into it is obscene. 2 full story play throughs with the first doing essentially everything. I still throw it in every now and then just to kill an hour doing the most random ****.

It's the perfect game. When GTA V and The Last of Us were released just a few months apart it was my golden era of gaming.
Yes man, it's so easy to just pick up and piss around in. Definitely one of the only games that I was hyped up about that lived up to the hype, and beyond.

I tried the online, had some laughs with my brother but honestly the dudes driving around in a van mowing us down with assault rifles every chance they got kind of put a crimp in our fun lol
Yeah, it does get kind of annoying when you're getting killed a lot, it's a really hard game to start out because everyone else is already set up and you're just trying not to get blasted. lol

I absolutely loved the game. Nearly 6 years ago. And then again 4 years ago.

The lack of single-player DLC has given me no reason to go back to it, though, making this long gap between Rockstar games particularly painful. Still a friggin' amazing game, though, they earned my double purchase...just wish they'd give me a reason to dip my toes back in since.
Why don't you play the online mode? That's the major focus for them. I didn't look into the reasoning, but for some reason Rockstar stated that they are unable to do single player DLC? The online play is really what gives the game it's continuing playability.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Pretty sure there’s a GTA thread that went like 2000 posts.

But ya, it’s probably a top 5 game all time for me. I think I’ve got 1000+ hours into online alone. I’m currently working on the platinum trophy for it, and I’ve got like 2 trophies left

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I 100% completed the last gen version, but had no interest in online. One of the worst matchmaking systems I've ever seen in a popular game, and since my friends and I have gotten older, we either don't play online enough, or never play at the same time, making all the heists and extra content mostly a no go for me (and I generally don't play with people I don't know anymore, I can't stand the immaturity).

It's a fantastic game. The gameplay is so tight and polished, the story is fantastic, the world is amazing (especially on the current gen version with the upgraded engine), but I think it ruined the franchise. It might have ruined Rockstar. They made way too much money (by some estimates, over six billion USD), and there is no incentive for them to ever make a single player game again. I'm rather surprised RDR 2 is even coming out.

And yes, there was a thread. Last posts were probably last summer, and it might have been lost in the transition to the new boards.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The series might have already jumped the shark anyway to be honest, since San Andreas there hasn't been a better game anymore. More impressive in many technical ways sure, but the X factor just isn't there anymore quite the same as it once used to be. So if/when the next edition won't be out before PS5, I don't really even care.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Pretty sure there’s a GTA thread that went like 2000 posts.

There was. I remember posting in it the morning of release day and so on.

And yeah GTA 5 was awesome. I only have it on my PS3 though. I too remember getting it on release day and just walking around the city and being amazed as I admired everything.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's become a dependable big brand, a bland product that has few real faults but still feels increasingly soulless. Unconvincing characters in a world that in principle looks good but too often doesn't feel quite right.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why don't you play the online mode? That's the major focus for them. I didn't look into the reasoning, but for some reason Rockstar stated that they are unable to do single player DLC? The online play is really what gives the game it's continuing playability.

I'd rather not play another GTA game again than play another minute in that online hellhole.

I don't care that it exists, but I care deeply that they killed single-player plans to feed that beast. I'm legitimately unable to get hyped for RDR2, which under normal circumstances would be one of my most hyped games ever, because of how lousy the taste is my mouth over this.

Not that the vehemently anti-online sector of gamers amounts to so much as a speed bump when it comes to potential profits to be gained, though. There's money to be had, and it's usually in doing something that annoys me :laugh:

I know it comes off as sour grapes because it is sour grapes, I put in ~100 really enjoyable hours with the game...I just wanted to spend more and I was fully intending on it until the single-player DLC just disappeared without a further mention because online was just too profitable. GTA Online became the reason I wasn't playing a game I love, and eventually a few years of that kind of grudge manifests into good, old-fashioned spiteful hatred.

Reactions: Nullus Reverentia

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I thought the game was pretty lame tbh. Boring story with boring characters that have no depth (Trevor is arguably the worst character in all GTAs) played online for a bit with some friends but it was pretty meh too .no single player DLC & 4 was more fun=no reason for me to play it more .

Reactions: Desdichado30

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
IMO GTA IV and V are basically just remakes of GTAIII and GTA SA with better graphics. The settings are the same, the basic story lines
are basically the same . I hope that GTA VI will feature a new city but I think that Rockstar will re-use Liberty City or Vice City.

I would love a GTA London/Paris/Chicago/Honolulu. Something fresh rather then the same old.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I always get excited for new GTA games then I play them and get bored. I don't know - they just aren't exciting anymore. The language and violence was edgy back in the day but today its kind of 'meh'. I didn't have any fun with the online when it was first released and probably played less than 2hr's of it.

All that said I am glad they made a bunch of good updates for it. Just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: CrazyMonkey1208

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad