Grand Rapids Signs Alex Chiasson To AHL Tryout

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

" Veteran winger Alex Chiasson is no stranger to going through tryouts to get a contract. It’s a process he has gone through a couple of times in the NHL already, sometimes successful, others unsuccessful. Now, he’ll attempt to convert a tryout in the minors into a full contract as AHL Grand Rapids, the affiliate of the Red Wings, announced that they’ve signed the 32-year-old to a PTO agreement.

Chiasson played with Vancouver last season after spending the previous three years with Edmonton. He had to go through training camp on a tryout but received a full deal and gave the Canucks a reasonable return on their investment as he notched 13 goals and nine assists in 67 games while being particularly strong on the power play with six of his goals (plus four helpers) coming with the man advantage. However, he wasn’t able to secure a guaranteed deal with anyone over the summer and went to training camp with Arizona on a PTO, one that proved unsuccessful.

Now, he’ll look to catch on with Detroit the long way, starting out in the minors and hoping for a promotion from there. Chiasson is a veteran of 631 career NHL contests over parts of 10 seasons and with the Red Wings currently having four forwards on injured reserve at the moment, there are certainly spots that could be available both with them and with the Griffins. It’s a nice no-risk pickup for Detroit who should get some help in the minors at a minimum and, if all goes well, a possible recall option in the coming weeks. "

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Solid 4th liner that fits Fester's style of play. Looks like a depth signing in case the team goes through another string of injuries.

A bit surprising he didn't get a contract somewhere, he's a 4th line warm body but a decent one. He was on the Caps for their Cup run.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Liked him in Edmonton, but don't know where he could fit into our lines.
He was good on the power play is what I remember. Created some havoc infront of the goalie where he was always positioned, which is why he played a good amount of time with McDrai when he was there.
Well, let's see. He will start in the AHL anyway.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
trades coming soon?
Doubtful, he's an upgrade over Luff/Czarnik/Elmer. If anything it increases the odds of Elmer getting sent down. Elmer doesn't need to be sitting in a pressbox, it would be better for him to play in GR than watch games. Chiasson is the kind of player that won't complain if he's healthy scratched. He knows his role.

Suter might get traded when Fabbri returns, but I don't see much coming back in return. Plus Berggren's play made Pius expendable, if he wasn't already.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Detroit has a huge forward logjam and the contract is between Grand Rapids and Chiasson. Doubt this affects Detroit. If he goes to GR and does well, he will likely sign with another NHL team

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit has a huge forward logjam and the contract is between Grand Rapids and Chiasson. Doubt this affects Detroit. If he goes to GR and does well, he will likely sign with another NHL team
You're right, I just checked Capfriendly. This is a GR contract, has no impact on the Wings.

Wonder if GR was the closest team he could find to his home that would give him a contract. He's Canadian from Monrteal/Quebec.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good for GR.

They need bodies after Luff is injured and Berggren at NHL.

Their season started going south when losing that Top line (Berggren, Czarnik, Luff) to NHL callups.

They'll need depth for winning just like Red Wings. Now when Carnik is back, Givani Smith is sent down and Chiasson added, the balance is there again.

Mostly Chiasson is very similar player as Matt Luff, so he is his replacement.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
You're right, I just checked Capfriendly. This is a GR contract, has no impact on the Wings.

Wonder if GR was the closest team he could find to his home that would give him a contract. He's Canadian from Monrteal/Quebec.
He can still get called up and signed by the Red Wings. ( Or any team. ) It is notable he's working with our organization/affiliate though.

I thought it especially interesting he chose Grand Rapids to play with though while he tries to get back into the league. IMO, also, he's a dude that should float on that 4th line.

The Depth that's being created is good, but like a previous poster mentioned, it's looking like a stockpile of bodies right now for a possible future move. Maybe it's just depth, but it's looking like something is happening and Yzerman is preparing himself/ team depth.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Thread title updated to reflect that Grand Rapids, and not the Wings, signed him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Doubtful, he's an upgrade over Luff/Czarnik/Elmer. If anything it increases the odds of Elmer getting sent down. Elmer doesn't need to be sitting in a pressbox, it would be better for him to play in GR than watch games. Chiasson is the kind of player that won't complain if he's healthy scratched. He knows his role.

Suter might get traded when Fabbri returns, but I don't see much coming back in return. Plus Berggren's play made Pius expendable, if he wasn't already.

I think even before Chiasson being brought in, Elmer was getting sent down. He had some good games early on and clearly has some very nice skill, but he also has had games where he didn't look great. That and he is one of the few that doesn't need waivers to go down out of the guys that would get sent down.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Lalonde has also agreed with a reporter when it was brought up that being a rookie he probably needs a GR conditioning stint to get his legs under him again. He doesn't have the NHL experience to just slot right back in after missing basically a month (Lalonde also ruled him out for this homestand).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think even before Chiasson being brought in, Elmer was getting sent down. He had some good games early on and clearly has some very nice skill, but he also has had games where he didn't look great. That and he is one of the few that doesn't need waivers to go down out of the guys that would get sent down.
Yeah, he looks horrible in the D zone. Hot potato with the puck. He's gonna get one of his teammates injured if he keeps passing the puck without paying attention to the other team.

I haven't watched GR at all this season, is Simon adjusting his strategies to reflect what Fester is doing? Elmer needs to work on the breakout, and a different system won't help him as much.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lalonde has also agreed with a reporter when it was brought up that being a rookie he probably needs a GR conditioning stint to get his legs under him again. He doesn't have the NHL experience to just slot right back in after missing basically a month (Lalonde also ruled him out for this homestand).

That's kind of a loophole, where you can send NHL player (like Söderblom) down for condition assignemnt to AHL, but he is still at NHL books.

Maybe he'll stay longer than 3 games, then it's "real" AHL assignment.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's kind of a loophole, where you can send NHL player (like Söderblom) down for condition assignemnt to AHL, but he is still at NHL books.

Maybe he'll stay longer than 3 games, then it's "real" AHL assignment.
There's no need to put him on a conditioning assignment (14 days max) since he doesn't need to clear waivers. Conditioning assignment means he stays on the NHL roster, which means they would have to waive Hellberg.

I think Fester said that before Hellberg was picked up, so now it's more than likely he gets sent down.

Oct 18, 2006
I kinda always liked Chiasson for whatever reason. 4 points in 2 games. You think he’ll end up getting a crack in Detroit?

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
I kinda always liked Chiasson for whatever reason. 4 points in 2 games. You think he’ll end up getting a crack in Detroit?
I like him too and hope he gets called up, over 50 goals total the last four years so he has some ability.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Quite sure there was a reason he was out of NHL contract. His speed isn't enough for nowadays NHL, but he could be very effective guy at AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad