Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-2020 Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Ugly game. Aside from a few lucky goals in the second period the Griffs were getting shelled all night.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Thats a big win for sure, they needed to stop the bleeding. Big game against Rockford friday too. That game could get ugly

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That was a good game last night. Nagle stood on his head for the Griffs.
Most of the young guys were very good last night with Cholowski being a notable exception. He should never have been up on the Wings last year, or starting with the wings this year. I worried that he would turn into Kindl 2.0 and now I'm starting to feel that us rushing his development is making this come true.
Chase Pearson has been very solid over the last 25 games and I can see him replacing Ehn as our 4th line center next season. He's faster, more physical and gets to the dirty areas of the ice. He was captain for 2 of his 3 seasons at Maine so he's also got good leadership qualities. This is exactly what we could use in that role.
I like the chemistry that Veleno and Hirose have been showing over the last 10 or so games when they're together. Watching them play off each other helps affirm my original belief that Veleno will be the more defensive player on his line than the offensive driving force, but is still capable of putting up some points. I'm totally fine with this, especially if we end up with Lafreniere.
Rasmussen is looking more and more like a force down low on the puck and will be trouble for opposing teams defensemen if we can build the kind of depth that allows for lineup mismatches.
I'm really cheering for Svechnikov to make it because he's got the hands and frame to be that 40-50 point second line winger type, but it looks like there's a few shifts every game where his skating is labored and painful. I'm hoping that he won't need another surgery this offseason and can put it all together soon.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
Watching them play off each other helps affirm my original belief that Veleno will be the more defensive player on his line than the offensive driving force, but is still capable of putting up some points. I'm totally fine with this, especially if we end up with Lafreniere.

Isnt Hirose 5 years older? Velenos offence will come with confidence as he gets older and more mature, experienced etc. Who would you compare him to NHL wise. Toews?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Isnt Hirose 5 years older? Velenos offence will come with confidence as he gets older and more mature, experienced etc. Who would you compare him to NHL wise. Toews?

Reminds me of Derick Brassard or Adam Henrique type of center, though I am sure that won't thrill a lot of our fan-base in terms of ceiling or players. I think he is kind of a mix of those two guys though.

Reactions: hkydave04

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Not like Toews other than being defensively responsible.
Current NHL player he reminds me of? Paul Stastny. Playmaking center who is defensively responsible. I'd say between 55-70 points a season if he reaches his potential. Worst case scenario? Matt Stajan/ Tyler Bozak 35-50 point center on the 2nd/3rd line.
And what I said about Veleno wasn't a dig at him. I think he'll be a very good player for the winged wheel, but I don't see him being the guy that will be the primary offensive source on his line. That will probably be someone like Zadina and (hopefully) Lafreniere.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Not like Toews other than being defensively responsible.
Current NHL player he reminds me of? Paul Stastny. Playmaking center who is defensively responsible. I'd say between 55-70 points a season if he reaches his potential. Worst case scenario? Matt Stajan/ Tyler Bozak 35-50 point center on the 2nd/3rd line.
And what I said about Veleno wasn't a dig at him. I think he'll be a very good player for the winged wheel, but I don't see him being the guy that will be the primary offensive source on his line. That will probably be someone like Zadina and (hopefully) Lafreniere.
Lafreniere would be so critical to this rebuild. Not only would he fill the star LW hole. He would also fill the 2c hole. I think ras AND valeno have a shot at being low end 2c’s but on a line with lafreniere and zadina, either one would be more than sufficient.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Reminds me of a prime Nielsen. And that isn't bad.

He skates soooo much better than Nielsen ever did though. I can see the logic for the play style, but I think the skating might be too big of a bridge to gap. Veleno’s ability to transport the puck is one of his most valuable assets.

I’m slowly beginning to believe Veleno’s place in the NHL will be among the centers who are most notable for their defensive abilities, and we are just going to have to hope that his role puts him along side some strong offensive talent. Maybe hope that he carves out a JG Pageau career. I’ve seen the comparison to Phillip Danault and that might be a bit more on point.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
Lafreniere would be so critical to this rebuild. Not only would he fill the star LW hole. He would also fill the 2c hole. I think ras AND valeno have a shot at being low end 2c’s but on a line with lafreniere and zadina, either one would be more than sufficient.

You mean Larkin would fill the 2C role?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
You mean Larkin would fill the 2C role?
No I mean he’s such a special play driver you could have him and zadina as your scoring threats while rass or valeno play a steady center role while chipping in themselves. I think that’d be a great 2nd line behind larkin Mantha Bert.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
He skates soooo much better than Nielsen ever did though. I can see the logic for the play style, but I think the skating might be too big of a bridge to gap. Veleno’s ability to transport the puck is one of his most valuable assets.

I’m slowly beginning to believe Veleno’s place in the NHL will be among the centers who are most notable for their defensive abilities, and we are just going to have to hope that his role puts him along side some strong offensive talent. Maybe hope that he carves out a JG Pageau career. I’ve seen the comparison to Phillip Danault and that might be a bit more on point.

Joe was granted exceptional status and threw up 104 points n 50 games in Junior. His upside hammers those bums. Patrice Bergeron (a 2nd rounder) is a great comparable.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
No I mean he’s such a special play driver you could have him and zadina as your scoring threats while rass or valeno play a steady center role while chipping in themselves. I think that’d be a great 2nd line behind larkin Mantha Bert.

Veleno and Lafrenierre have big chemistry together. Larkin wouldnt be a 1C here if we land Lafs.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad