Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
While I tend to agree that good prospects produce at the AHL level, it's not fair to compare Veleno to Chytil who is 21 and has 2 years on him. If you look at the past 20 years of production in the AHL for U20 players a player with a point per game above 1 usually leads to a superstar level forward, 0.8-0.99 looks to be at around a top 6 forward level, 0.5-0.79 a middle 6 role, and less than that it's either a bottom 6 or a AAAA player. Veleno has started slowly, though I'm sure he can pick up the pace and end the year in at least the 0.50 range given his previous levels of production.

Zadina on the other hand will need to pick up his production to maintain his status as a true top prospect. Almost all top 6 players score at a > than 0.75 p/gp in their U21 season, anything less than that from him would be a disappointment. Given his production last year and the pick used to select him I think everyone has high expectation for him this season.
Yes it is not fair to compare Veleno to Chytil, Chytil dominated as 18yo in ahl.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Yes it is not fair to compare Veleno to Chytil, Chytil dominated as 18yo in ahl.

I wouldn't suggest he "dominated the AHL", he had 31 points in 46 games or 0.67 p/gp. Those are great numbers, but dominant numbers would be what Nylander or Pastrnak produced in their 19 year old seasons. Veleno should be able to have a season where that is the low end of his production, I think he'll have a season similar to that of Roslovic's U20 season.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You would have expected GRG to be very competitive just by looking at the roster. What is happening?

Need patience. October the schedule does not favor us at all. November is usually when the Griffins get on a roll and for their players to get used to each other and that is when they start to play better hockey.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Too many kids? You probably need more vets to win at AHL level.

Also, road-weighted start is not the easiest one. 4 games on road and only 1 at home...

Don't care about winning. I want the kids to learn how to play pro. If they turn it around by December or so, that's good enough for me.
Plenty of great NHLers never won shit in the AHL or CHL.

Reactions: wingerdinger

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I thought you watched Traverse City tournament games, where Smith was used as PP net-front and also on penalty kill ?

Like, you had tens of millions of opinions of our prospects based on what did you "see", and now you don't remember these?

Why are you questioning these obvious things we others saw there?

Smith playing 2nd unit PP in a prospects tournament after he's already got a year of AHL under his belt doesn't convince me of anything.
If Smith continues his current pace, we can talk.

By the way, I was one of the few people who ranked Smith among my top prospects.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Don't care about winning. I want the kids to learn how to play pro. If they turn it around by December or so, that's good enough for me.
Plenty of great NHLers never won **** in the AHL or CHL.
I'd rather have kids playing with veterans, better for learning, some with NHL, some with AHL. Abdelkader could be a very good mentor in AHL

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019
Plenty of great NHLers never won **** in the AHL or CHL.

I'm sure there are plenty of NHLers that never won in the AHL or CHL and still became great players. However, I can see where winning the AHL can benefit their development. The more and longer they play competitive hockey, the more it can help their development. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I can see where it may help them in their development.
So while I understand that you don't care about winning in the AHL, I'd rather see our prospects play as long as possible and winning at the same time. It has only positive effects on their development.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm sure there are plenty of NHLers that never won in the AHL or CHL and still became great players. However, I can see where winning the AHL can benefit their development. The more and longer they play competitive hockey, the more it can help their development. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I can see where it may help them in their development.
So while I understand that you don't care about winning in the AHL, I'd rather see our prospects play as long as possible and winning at the same time. It has only positive effects on their development.

Winning doesn't hurt.
But I really don't think it matters all that much. Most of these kids have been playing hockey since they were tiny and have winning and losing seasons.
Look at our two Calder Cups.
What's it really meant for us?
Everyone is gone but Bertuzzi, Glendening and Svech.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Biega is going to be a big boost for GR. However, the Griffins now have a huge logjam on defense down there. You guys think somebody may get traded?

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019
Winning doesn't hurt.
But I really don't think it matters all that much. Most of these kids have been playing hockey since they were tiny and have winning and losing seasons.
Look at our two Calder Cups.
What's it really meant for us?
Everyone is gone but Bertuzzi, Glendening and Svech.

You're not wrong, but for me, it's more about letting the prospects play as long into the season as possible. So it may not be as much about winning as it's about the prospects playing as long into the season as possible.
For example, I don't think Larkin would be as good had he not gone to WC each May and carry that momentum into next season. Just keep playing as much as possible and keep developing, especially at that young age.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to see kids learn from skill players not from grinders. Datsyuk was lucky to play with Hull.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I like to see kids learn from skill players not from grinders. Datsyuk was lucky to play with Hull.
Now we have Ericsson mentoring our defensemen "do as I say not as I do"
I know he's not playing but apparently he's been working with them with Kronwall.

Reactions: lilidk

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Biega is going to be a big boost for GR. However, the Griffins now have a huge logjam on defense down there. You guys think somebody may get traded?

It would not surprise if Ericsson clears waivers tomorrow that the Wings will not send him down to GR right away. It is possible that more moves will be made. Good to see Svech called back up to Detroit and I think he will be playing this time instead of watching games from the press box.

Givani Smith was handed a 1 game suspension today by the AHL for clipping in the Saturday night's game in Texas, so he will not play on Wednesday.

Reactions: Christien

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
those Mod Veleno and Zadina better be ppg players by the end of the year. Hughes is unreal, hell i would even take Hayton before Zadina.

Last edited by a moderator:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
those Mod Veleno and Zadina better be ppg players by the end of the year. Hughes is unreal, hell i would even take Hayton before Zadina.
4000042431.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Something has to give with all of the defensemen we have now.

Lashoff
Mcilrath
Seider
Hicketts
Saarijarvi
Kaski
Biega
Ericsson
Lindstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad