Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Work Ethic

Form the most recent Athletic article focusng on Zadina: Why patience is the greatest gift the Red Wings can give...
“I think a lot of players — not just Z — his play away from the puck has to improve,” Simon said. “I think he knows that. He is competing, though. He’s working. I think the sooner he realizes the more structured, the harder he works away from the puck, the more time and space, the more he’s going to have the puck eventually. And that takes time for a young kid to understand. There’s two sides to the puck, and it only gets harder when you go up.

“He cares. That’s not an issue with him at all. He’s putting the time in, he’s working, he’s doing all the right things, he just has to make sure he’s not getting frustrated.”

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Rasmussen was able to skate the puck through neutral ice in the WHL pretty easily.
He dominated the WHL playoffs in his D+1, and he was dealing with a wrist injury he tried to play with up until he couldn't play in the WJC. It's documented.
But his wrists are healthy now, yet the skill hasn't manifested yet. So I think it's possible more WHL time could have helped in that department, rather than having him play chip and chase in the NHL. He was a point producing player up until he abruptly was not. That's a little concerning, role-wise. Surely they could have given him a longer period of developmental time to work on being an offensive player.

Well, unless you think he never had that kind of potential, in which case we're back to "Should Rasmussen have been drafted in the top 10?"

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
But his wrists are healthy now, yet the skill hasn't manifested yet. So I think it's possible more WHL time could have helped in that department, rather than having him play chip and chase in the NHL. He was a point producing player up until he abruptly was not. That's a little concerning, role-wise. Surely they could have given him a longer period of developmental time to work on being an offensive player.

Well, unless you think he never had that kind of potential, in which case we're back to "Should Rasmussen have been drafted in the top 10?"
He a point producing player again, though. How many 18-19 year olds are point producing forwards in the NHL? Not many. I'd be shocked if he didn't end up above a PPG this season in the AHL, he's already back to his dominating ways.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Griffs lost in a shootout 4-3... Good to a get point after being down 3-1 early in the 3rd

Puempel, Smith & Lukosevicius scored for GR

Assist for Svechnikov on Puempels goal too. Really good start for him, I think its obvious hes the first call up but if he keeps producing like he is hes gonna force their hand with how the middle 6 has played

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Assist for Svechnikov on Puempels goal too. Really good start for him, I think its obvious hes the first call up but if he keeps producing like he is hes gonna force their hand with how the middle 6 has played

Pretty much an unassisted goal with him wheeling and firing an eye-seeing shot on a big rebound across the ice into the boards. He just wheeled and blasted it and the goalie and pretty much everyone on ice was stunned. A ridiculous goal by Puempel. Glad to see Svech collecting points though, he also played strong during the game. He really looks great, especially considering the injury and that is great news. Hopefully like young Kronwall, Svech is rounding a corner and the injuries can become a thing of the past and the promise can come forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's a good AHL middle 6 player, but watch him play, it looks like he's skating in quicksand. He's slow. He just can't keep up at the NHL level.
He hasn't looked that slow to me when I've seen him. We'll see. I think it would really help our team if he could turn into a player. But I know you have a vendetta against him. For me at least, I think it's a positive in the early Griffins season that he is producing.

Reactions: lomekian and newfy

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He hasn't looked that slow to me when I've seen him. We'll see. I think it would really help our team if he could turn into a player. But I know you have a vendetta against him. For me at least, I think it's a positive in the early Griffins season that he is producing.

There is no vendetta against Smith. His speed and decision making are major concerns expressed by professionals. As for how he's looked, I have watched the games, he's not looking particularly speedy at the AHL level, and even on the low end of normal speed wise. We saw with Pulkks that the slower players in the AHL don't translate well in the NHL.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
His speed and decision making are major concerns expressed by professionals.
I haven't noticed that his skating is slow. His decision making at the speed of the pros needs a little work.

From the Draft Analyst site:
"Smith is a very good skater with a hard, quick snap snot, and his ability to control the puck with force towards the net is helped by taking the shortest routes possible."
Draft Profile: Givani Smith – The Draft Analyst

From Dobbers:
"One of the knocks on him in junior was his skating which appeared to maybe be slower than it actually was, but that is something that he has steadily improved upon."
Givani Smith

From Last Word:
"Givani Smith has decent top end speed, but could use work on developing a less choppy stride."
Givani Smith Scouting Report: 2016 NHL Draft #61

From Forecaster NHL:
"Owns a project-able frame and plenty of speed for a big man. Is strong on his skates and a load to move out from in front of the net. "

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont think Smith will ever be considered fast but I think his skating is definitely getting to the point where it shouldnt be a big worry anymore. In the preseason he looked really good and his skating didnt hold him back. Now hes having a really good start to his second pro season. He wasnt some top 5 pick thats supposed to light the NHL up this quickly,but hes a guy who is looking like he can develop into a solid NHL player and not a wasted pick.

Some people make an opinion and live or die by it on here without room to change. Makes them look dumb in the long run

Christien

May 1, 2010
If Smith keeps it up, I don't see why he wouldn't make Detroit next season. I could see him getting a call up too when Detroit gets banged up.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If Smith keeps it up, I don't see why he wouldn't make Detroit next season. I could see him getting a call up too when Detroit gets banged up.

Draper has already said hes on the short list for a call up. I think Svechnikov would be the only one ahead of him right now really

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'd consider it highly unlikely. Detroit already has 13 forwards either under contract or RFAs for the 20-21 season and Smith is still waiver exempt next year. Svechnikov is likely a lock to make the team given that he will be waiver eligible. So Smith will have to compete with Rasmussen, Zadina, and Veleno for a spot on the NHL team that may not even exist (since the Wings have the option to kick the can down the road by sending all of them to GR). Perhaps they manage to trade or buy out one or two of their current players, but it's also possible that Detroit signs or trades for a forward or they draft a forward high who makes the team, which makes the odds even tougher for that waiver-exempt group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad