Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Congrats to Larsson to get his first win and congrats to Zadina for getting off the schneid on that bullet of a rocket of a shot.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Zadina goal
4NCA4q9.gif

Rasmussen goal
iVTlCoY.gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Rasmussen has been really good down there to start this year.

Too many people writing him off because of a mediocre year last year in the NHL when he was junior eligible. At 9th overall, he can be a weapon in this rebuild and if he keeps producing down there I think the narrative will turn around on him quick

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Too many people writing him off because of a mediocre year last year in the NHL when he was junior eligible. At 9th overall, he can be a weapon in this rebuild and if he keeps producing down there I think the narrative will turn around on him quick

I think those 62 games helped him a lot, Svech was as good as him in his game down there, but Rasmussen has been better than the other guys thus far. Glad to see that, he keeps this up and he is going to force a call up at some point.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think those 62 games helped him a lot, Svech was as good as him in his game down there, but Rasmussen has been better than the other guys thus far. Glad to see that, he keeps this up and he is going to force a call up at some point.
Do you think it's better play in NHL for 10 minutes vs AHL near 20 for kids to develop? Yzerman decided to create kid farm in AHL. So far Veleno does not have a point, how is he? Does he and Zadina create scoring chances?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do you think it's better play in NHL for 10 minutes vs AHL near 20 for kids to develop? Yzerman decided to create kid farm in AHL. So far Veleno does not have a point, how is he? Does he and Zadina create scoring chances?

I think it is better for him to play center, but at some point he is going to force his way up. I have pointed this out before but he makes his entire AHL salary in roughly three weeks of NHL service, so it does likely matter to him if he is significantly outplaying the league and is deserving of a callup. But for now, I think it is valuable to have him playing down the middle and they have lined him up with some vets and they are off to a very good start.

Veleno has been solid but unspectacular, which is expected out of a kid transitioning from the Q to the AHL. He hasn't yielded a ton of high volume chances, most of the damage that has come against that line has been tied to brutal turnovers from Zadina. They haven't offered a lot of offense but he is progressing nicely, is on the right side of the puck is engaging physically and adjusting to the league. I think it has been a solid start thus far for Veleno. The AHL is a far better league than most of our board seems to think, spent years going to games in Milwaukee. I would argue it is the third best league in the world and it is a lot closer to the KHL than the KHL is to the NHL.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

They never should have drafted him 9th overall in the first place that's the real issue.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They never should have drafted him 9th overall in the first place that's the real issue.

Yep so youre one of the ones writing him off for no reason like I said. Absolutely dominant post draft season in the WHL, then a very mediocre one in the NHL. If he played junior last year and put up a massive points per game no one would say anything. The funniest part is, you were probably one of the ones saying they should've drafted Vilardi instead and how stupid they are for passing on him. With who was all drafted around him he was fine at 9th overall. Might not be the best pick of all time but hes tracking as well/better than anyone else taken around that pick

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Veleno skates well and you can see that he and Zadina have some chemistry together. Still learning the pro end of the game and it will take a bit for him to get it together, but I see him as a well all round player when all said and done. Points will come soon. Just have to be patient with him and others here in GR.

It was great to see Z finally get a goal in Rockford. He was robbed in front of the net at the home opener, but the Admirals goalie looked great (course the Griffins helped him out) and deserved the #1 star of the game that night.

Rasmussen is a presence in front of the net and too bad he could not convert on the breakaway at the home opener, but looked better in Rockford. Needs to work on his draws as the Griffins as a whole did not look well at the home opener in that department.

Seider looked tentative at the home opener as I was hoping to see him blast away from the point. Does lead the team with a +4 so far.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yep so youre one of the ones writing him off for no reason like I said. Absolutely dominant post draft season in the WHL, then a very mediocre one in the NHL. If he played junior last year and put up a massive points per game no one would say anything. The funniest part is, you were probably one of the ones saying they should've drafted Vilardi instead and how stupid they are for passing on him. With who was all drafted around him he was fine at 9th overall. Might not be the best pick of all time but hes tracking as well/better than anyone else taken around that pick

Not sure about your post at all.
I, for one, hated this pick.
But I'm not "writing him off." And I don't see many others doing it.

He wasn't absolutely dominant in his D+1 year at all.
Check the WHL stats.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

No reason? There were a lot better players available at 9th. That is the reason you don't take the biggest player just cause hes the biggest. You take the most skill with the highest upside and that wasnt Rasmussen.

Hmm hes tracking better than Necas...you better check again.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
No reason? There were a lot better players available at 9th. That is the reason you don't take the biggest player just cause hes the biggest. You take the most skill with the highest upside and that wasnt Rasmussen.

My god this is so stupid. He wasn't taken because he was the biggest. He was taken because he was the best hockey player with the highest upside in the eyes of our scouts.

Sorry his "cool stick handles between the legs per 60" isn't high enough for you. It's amazing that in one thread we have people agreeing that Zadina is the right pick even if he busts out of the league, and Rasmussen is the wrong pick even if he makes it to the hall of fame. It's insane

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

This almost isnt worth replying to but I'm going to. There were a lot better players available at 9th? Who? And the fact you think he was taken because he is the biggest shows youre not looking at this objectively. Youre a guy who read a few internet scouting reports and had your mind made up.

Hes tracking similarly to Necas. Necas had his one big WJC and everyone on here got their panties in a bunch that they didnt take him over Rasmussen. The same people didnt care when he was pretty mediocre at the next WJC but crucified Zadina for it. And its the same people doing it. Necas might end up the better player, but theyre very similar calibre prospects.

Youre confusing effectiveness with skill. Rasmussen isnt flashy but hes effective. In the mold of a JVR or a Simmonds or hell even Dan Cleary for a few years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
On Draft day, I wanted to trade down and take Robert Thomas - who is/was exactly the kind of prospect this organization needed/needs.
I was even willing to take him at 9.
If not Thomas, I wanted Necas, Liljegren, Valimaki or even Kostin over Rasmussen. All of the concerns about regular strength play convinced me I didn't want him at 9.
And then Vilardi fell, and I wanted Vilardi, having seen him dominate and erase all my skating issues in the Memorial Cup.

I think Rasmussen can be a valuable asset.
I just think he was a shit pick for your first top 10 pick in 25 years or whatever.

But whatever, I want him to be the best player he can be.
I just don't drink Red Wings flavored Kool aid and defend everything about the decision to keep him in the NHL last year, which was way over his head, or the decision to move him back to center.

Reactions: Jon Cusack
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Necas is having a pretty good start in the NHL right now, so I'm not sure they're tracking the same. With one doing well in the NHL and one being in the AHL, and all.

I don't think they drafted Rasmussen only because of size, but you're kidding yourself if you think they'd draft him there at 6'1. Being huge is what made him "high upside."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad