Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wish I could watch this game, sounds like Hronek did really well in a fight, Smith just had a fight plus Zadina has a few goals and an assist/Cholowski a couple points etc.

Would be a great game to watch. Absolute shit show, almost 70 penalty minutes handed out in the third.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
This was one of the craziest games I've seen, just both teams being out of control and the ice being so bad. Good night for the Griffins and our prospects and hopefully we can knock out Chicago tomorrow night.

This was the Chicago bench btw

Reactions: NickH8

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Chicago Wolves 2 at Grand Rapids Griffins 6 - Status: Final
Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - Van Andel Arena

Chicago 1 1 0 - 2
Grand Rapids 1 4 1 - 6

1st Period-1, Chicago, Tynan 1 (Hyka, Whitecloud), 12:31 (PP). 2, Grand Rapids, Zadina 1 (Turgeon, Cholowski), 19:28.

Penalties-McIlrath Gr (match - check to the head), 9:30; Reinhart Chi (tripping), 17:20.

2nd Period-3, Grand Rapids, Frk 1 (Elson, Cholowski), 2:24. 4, Chicago, McGinn 2 (Hyka, Leslie), 5:56. 5, Grand Rapids, Megan 1 (Frk, Puempel), 9:16. 6, Grand Rapids, Megan 2 (Puempel, Frk), 12:23 (PP). 7, Grand Rapids, Zadina 2 (Smith, Sulak), 16:55.

Penalties-Kolesar Chi (roughing), 0:40; Puempel Gr (interference), 1:00; Kolesar Chi (roughing, misconduct - continuing altercation), 10:42; Lough Chi (roughing), 10:42; Hicketts Gr (roughing), 10:42; McKenzie Chi (roughing, misconduct - continuing altercation), 17:30; Hronek Gr (roughing, roughing, misconduct - continuing altercation), 17:30; Hague Chi (misconduct - unsportsmanlike conduct), 20:00; Puempel Gr (misconduct - unsportsmanlike conduct), 20:00.

3rd Period-8, Grand Rapids, Puempel 2 (Hronek, Zadina), 15:02 (PP).

Penalties-Smith Gr (checking to the head), 2:00; Frk Gr (slashing), 8:38; Matteau Chi (roughing), 10:24; Shine Gr (cross-checking), 10:24; Sulak Gr (roughing), 10:24; Gallant Chi (interference, misconduct - unsportsmanlike conduct), 13:42; Frk Gr (misconduct - unsportsmanlike conduct), 13:42; Frk Gr (unsportsmanlike conduct), 13:54; Hague Chi (fighting), 14:37; McGinn Chi (cross-checking), 14:37; Smith Gr (fighting), 14:37; Hague Chi (misconduct - unsportsmanlike conduct), 16:10; Kolesar Chi (fighting), 17:22; Chelios Gr (fighting), 17:24.

Shots on Goal-Chicago 15-8-14-37. Grand Rapids 9-10-6-25.

Power Play Opportunities-Chicago 1 / 7; Grand Rapids 2 / 4.

Goalies-Chicago, Lagace 1-1 (25 shots-19 saves). Grand Rapids, Sateri 2-1 (37 shots-35 saves).

A-7,690

Referees-Jake Rekucki (84), Furman South (44).
Linesmen-Jesse Marquis (86), Pat Richardson (67).

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It feels like the refs have zero control of this game

It was. Did not help of the ice problem behind the Griffins net that delayed the game for an hour. Went down to a decision by both players on the ice whether to continue the game or not finish it. Got home at 11:00 pm from the game. It was old time hockey for sure.

On the McIlrath hit, he checks like Rob Blake did for the Avalanche/Kings with his butt hitting the player. If you slow it way down, you can see McIlrath hitting Wong's shoulder first and Wong's shoulder jerks up to his neck thus knocking himself out right there. When Wong was laid out, he was holding to his chest, not his head. He is doing fine from what I have been told by people that work in EMS. From where I sit (upper bowl press box side center ice), Wong was going at a great rate of speed and McIlrath hit him with Wong's head down and he had no idea he was coming. Looked clean to me when seeing it live and by looking at the replay, I'm convinced it was a clean hit.

A lot of stuff has been carried over from the first 2 games in Chicago and the Griffins got physical back at the Wolves and they were not expecting that at all. There might be other things that were not called that might get a league review tomorrow morning as well. Hyman cross checked Hicketts from behind and at his neck which got everyone together in the 2nd period to where Kolersal was targetting Hicketts and did what he did and later in the 3rd on Chelios. The refs lost control at all and it will be interesting to see who will be the refs tomorrow for Game 4. The refs would not give the Griffins any power plays at all in the 3rd (gave Chi 3 early in the period) until late in the period where Puempel scored on a one-timer. It will also be interesting to see who will play in goal for the Wolves for Game 4.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Put it this way, it’s reckless by Mac in a sense that it’s always dangerous going for that, but I don’t think it was an intentionally dirty hit. I think Mac played that how he would have played it 10 times out of 10, it just was a dangerous collision.

If they are giving Mac a suspension, it would have to be for recklessness, not for malicious behavior.

From a point of contact perspective, the hit seems ok. Looked way worse live.

Maybe you could argue charging. Based on the replay, looks like he starts to line him up as he's on the Griffs blue line as Wong is leaving the Chicago zone. Although it appears that he just backs into him.

I still have an issue with the hit though. He knows exactly what's going to happen in that situation. He's going to F that kid up....bad. Best case scenario is he ends up with a concussion. He doesn't have to make that play there.

And yes the kid should be more aware. No I'm not against hitting.

Boy is tonight's game going to be a complete s*** show.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It was. Did not help of the ice problem behind the Griffins net that delayed the game for an hour. Went down to a decision by both players on the ice whether to continue the game or not finish it. Got home at 11:00 pm from the game. It was old time hockey for sure.

On the McIlrath hit, he checks like Rob Blake did for the Avalanche/Kings with his butt hitting the player. If you slow it way down, you can see McIlrath hitting Wong's shoulder first and Wong's shoulder jerks up to his neck thus knocking himself out right there. When Wong was laid out, he was holding to his chest, not his head. He is doing fine from what I have been told by people that work in EMS. From where I sit (upper bowl press box side center ice), Wong was going at a great rate of speed and McIlrath hit him with Wong's head down and he had no idea he was coming. Looked clean to me when seeing it live and by looking at the replay, I'm convinced it was a clean hit.

A lot of stuff has been carried over from the first 2 games in Chicago and the Griffins got physical back at the Wolves and they were not expecting that at all. There might be other things that were not called that might get a league review tomorrow morning as well. Hyman cross checked Hicketts from behind and at his neck which got everyone together in the 2nd period to where Kolersal was targetting Hicketts and did what he did and later in the 3rd on Chelios. The refs lost control at all and it will be interesting to see who will be the refs tomorrow for Game 4. The refs would not give the Griffins any power plays at all in the 3rd (gave Chi 3 early in the period) until late in the period where Puempel scored on a one-timer. It will also be interesting to see who will play in goal for the Wolves for Game 4.

A lot easier for Chicago to act like idiots after McIlrath is tossed as well. Would be interesting to see Kolesar targetting Hicketts if he knew Mac was going to take his head off. The Griffins have a tough team an guys like Shine, Smith and even Campbell but McIlrath is one of the scariest in the entire league

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
From a point of contact perspective, the hit seems ok. Looked way worse live.

Maybe you could argue charging. Based on the replay, looks like he starts to line him up as he's on the Griffs blue line as Wong is leaving the Chicago zone. Although it appears that he just backs into him.

I still have an issue with the hit though. He knows exactly what's going to happen in that situation. He's going to F that kid up....bad. Best case scenario is he ends up with a concussion. He doesn't have to make that play there.

And yes the kid should be more aware. No I'm not against hitting.

Boy is tonight's game going to be a complete s*** show.

Yeah tonight is going to be brutal, but it’ll be even worse if GR has a big lead late.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League today announced the following suspensions:
Grand Rapids Griffins forward Givani Smith has been suspended for one (1) game as a consequence of an illegal check to the head of an opponent in a playoff game vs. Chicago on Apr. 23.
Smith was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline). He will miss Game 4 of the Central Division semifinal series between the teams tonight (Apr. 24).
Grand Rapids Griffins forward Dominic Turgeon has been suspended for two (2) games as a consequence of a boarding incident in a playoff game vs. Chicago on Apr. 23.
Turgeon will miss Game 4 (tonight) and Game 5 (Sunday, if necessary) of the Central Division semifinal series between the teams. If Game 5 is not necessary, Turgeon will miss Game 1 of the Central Division Finals (TBD).

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

Looks like Gerard Gallant's whining has trickled down to the AHL team, lol. I count 8 penalties for GR and 6 for Chicago in the third. The refs had not control over the game but they were shit evenly.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Was Witkowski assigned to GR this year too, or was he considered a full time NHLer. He may be worth a look in game 4 if D-Mac is out.

Or just play them both since Smith is out so we could have some protection

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad