Not open for further replies.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

Ben Simon
giphy.gif

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Danny D and Larkin both played in the AHL playoffs when they signed from college, so I'm not sure why these two can't.

Larkin signed his entry-level contract after the NHL season was over but also signed an amateur try out contract separately to play in Grand Rapids. Remember, he wanted to make Detroit the following season and looked to impress Blashill while he was still in the minors.

Source

In 2013, the deadline for AHL playoff rosters was April 22. So it's likely DeKeyser was made eligible then. At that time the CBA removed the "Clear Day" roster eligibility rule allowing teams to make decisions past the NHL trade deadline. However, that's clearly not the case anymore. I've tried looking it up why it was added back.

Source

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Larkin signed his entry-level contract after the NHL season was over but also signed an amateur try out contract separately to play in Grand Rapids. Remember, he wanted to make Detroit the following season and looked to impress Blashill while he was still in the minors.

Source

In 2013, the deadline for AHL playoff rosters was April 22. So it's likely DeKeyser was made eligible then. At that time the CBA removed the "Clear Day" roster eligibility rule allowing teams to make decisions past the NHL trade deadline. However, that's clearly not the case anymore. I've tried looking it up why it was added back.

Source

The "Clear Day" rule is still 100% gone.

IIRC, the AHL clear day rule was a 22 player limit for the rest of the season and playoffs after the NHL and AHL trade deadlines expired. I don't recall for sure, but I think back when it existed you didn't have to send guys down on paper to make them eligible, they just had to be on the clear day. IIRC, Ericsson was up with the Wings in 2009 when the Griffins made him eligible for the playoffs I think the clear day deadline was after the AHL trade deadline, which is a week after the NHL deadline.

The way the eligibility works now is the player has to be on the AHL roster when the NHL trade deadline hits at 3PM. Then the NHL team burns one of their 4 call ups to bring them back up.

The rule that was waived and brought back was the 4 post deadline call up rule. I don't recall the reason as to way that was taken out for the shortened season only.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What do the lines and pairings look like with everyone back down?

Will not know until Wednesday's game who will be in and who will be out. Ford has been hurt and has not played the last 2 games not sure on his status for this week. Sateri will not be ready until the playoffs start so it will be Rybar and Nagle manning the nets this week.

They have kept Terry/Camper/Elson line as their top line together. After that is anyone's guess.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Hirose is not eligible for the GR play-off run.

Would Veleno be eligible this year if Drummondville went out early? He has not yet signed an ELC with Detroit.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Will not know until Wednesday's game who will be in and who will be out. Ford has been hurt and has not played the last 2 games not sure on his status for this week. Sateri will not be ready until the playoffs start so it will be Rybar and Nagle manning the nets this week.

They have kept Terry/Camper/Elson line as their top line together. After that is anyone's guess.
Please reunite Zadina-Megan-Frk

Reactions: NickH8

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Would Veleno be eligible this year if Drummondville went out early? He has not yet signed an ELC with Detroit.
I don't know why Hirose isn't eligible to play for the Griffs when Dekeyser and Larkin were able to join the Griffs during their playoff run despite not having played a game for them in the regular season

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I don't know why Hirose isn't eligible to play for the Griffs when Dekeyser and Larkin were able to join the Griffs during their playoff run despite not having played a game for them in the regular season

Unless the rules have changes since last season, Hirose and Kuffner ARE eligible to go down to GR for the playoffs.

Example I found was Karson Kuhlman, who signed as an undrafted college UFA to a 1st year burning ELC with Boston after the deadline last season and played the rest of the season and playoffs for Providence in the AHL.

I can't find the eligibility rules in writing, but it's something along the lines of: Players that have been at the NA pro level (IE NHL/AHL) prior to the deadline need to be on the AHL club when the trade deadline expires.

The exceptions run something like this:

-Unsigned or signed to an ELC starting the next season draft choices who sign an ATO with the AHL club after their Euro/JR/College teams season/playoffs are done (IE Larkin in 2015, various others),
-Waiver exempt players under contract but assigned to Europe whose Euro teams seasons and playoffs have ended (IE Holmstrom in 2017)
-Undrafted amateur players signed to an ELC for the remainder of the season by the NHL club after the trade deadline has passed (IE Kuhlman example, possibly DeKeyser?, also where Kuffner and Hirose would fit
-Special cases where an injured player that would/could be in the AHL at the deadline but can't due to IR/LTIR/SOIR status (IE Svechnikov this season, until they recently decided to shut him down)

I can't find the article now, but it was reported the day after the signings that Holland said Kuffner and Hirose would finish the season with the Wings and forego playing in the playoffs for GR to get a head start on training in the Spring/Summer.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Unless the rules have changes since last season, Hirose and Kuffner ARE eligible to go down to GR for the playoffs.

Example I found was Karson Kuhlman, who signed as an undrafted college UFA to a 1st year burning ELC with Boston after the deadline last season and played the rest of the season and playoffs for Providence in the AHL.

I can't find the eligibility rules in writing, but it's something along the lines of: Players that have been at the NA pro level (IE NHL/AHL) prior to the deadline need to be on the AHL club when the trade deadline expires.

The exceptions run something like this:

-Unsigned or signed to an ELC starting the next season draft choices who sign an ATO with the AHL club after their Euro/JR/College teams season/playoffs are done (IE Larkin in 2015, various others),
-Waiver exempt players under contract but assigned to Europe whose Euro teams seasons and playoffs have ended (IE Holmstrom in 2017)
-Undrafted amateur players signed to an ELC for the remainder of the season by the NHL club after the trade deadline has passed (IE Kuhlman example, possibly DeKeyser?, also where Kuffner and Hirose would fit
-Special cases where an injured player that would/could be in the AHL at the deadline but can't due to IR/LTIR/SOIR status (IE Svechnikov this season, until they recently decided to shut him down)

I can't find the article now, but it was reported the day after the signings that Holland said Kuffner and Hirose would finish the season with the Wings and forego playing in the playoffs for GR to get a head start on training in the Spring/Summer.
Kuhlman is a different circumstance, he signed an ATO and an ELC for after the season, technically this was his first season under his ELC. He was directly assigned to the AHL and didn't burn any time off his ELC.
Boston Bruins Sign Karson Kuhlman To Entry-Level Contract
The Boston Bruins have convinced NCAA free agent Karson Kuhlman to join their organization, signing the forward to a two-year entry-level contract. The deal has an average annual value of $750K, and Kuhlman will immediately join the Providence Bruins on an amateur tryout.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Pearson with the Goal, he is a very solid player... GR within 2 with 13 min left... Zadina with the Secondary Assist

EDIT: Nevermind 5-2 now after a PP Goal

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Iowa Wild 7 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 - Status: Final
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - Van Andel Arena

Iowa 1 3 3 - 7
Grand Rapids 1 0 2 - 3

1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Elson 18 (Turgeon), 0:38. 2, Iowa, Kunin 10 (Donato, Greenway), 11:04.

Penalties-Warner Ia (interference), 0:56; Menell Ia (hooking), 18:47.

2nd Period-3, Iowa, Kunin 11 (Belpedio, Donato), 3:41 (PP). 4, Iowa, Belpedio 6 (Kunin, Donato), 11:52 (PP). 5, Iowa, Donato 8 (Greenway), 19:12.

Penalties-Smith Gr (holding), 2:12; Megan Gr (tripping), 4:12; Chelios Gr (tripping), 10:38; Warner Ia (roughing), 19:33; Hicketts Gr (major - boarding, game misconduct - boarding), 19:33.

3rd Period-6, Grand Rapids, Pearson 2 (McIlrath, Zadina), 6:47. 7, Iowa, Kunin 12 (Menell), 7:27. 8, Grand Rapids, Megan 19 (Hronek, Cholowski), 13:26. 9, Iowa, O'Reilly 14 (Menell, Rau), 16:18 (PP). 10, Iowa, Donato 9 (Read, Bartkowski), 19:56.

Penalties-Liambas Ia (holding), 7:21; Lashoff Gr (interference), 7:21; Donato Ia (holding), 7:36; Cholowski Gr (slashing), 15:25; Menell Ia (interference), 19:04; Terry Gr (tripping), 19:04.

Shots on Goal-Iowa 7-8-10-25. Grand Rapids 12-6-23-41.

Power Play Opportunities-Iowa 3 / 5; Grand Rapids 0 / 3.

Goalies-Iowa, Hammond 17-12-2 (41 shots-38 saves). Grand Rapids, Rybar 16-15-5 (25 shots-18 saves).

A-8,586

Referees-Tim Mayer (19), Jordan Deckard (14).
Linesmen-Tyson Baker (88), Bevan Mills (53).

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Iowa's line of Greenway,Donato and Kunin was pretty dominant tonight. Donato 2 goal and 3 assists. Hicketts took a boarding call tha got 5 minutes and a game misconduct. Thought Hronek looked pretty good.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Getting rocked 4-1 right now by Iowa. Hicketts was just thrown out for boarding in the dying minutes of the second. Not good stuff.

IA player turned in front of Hicketts last minute. IA player got what he deserved. Hicketts could have totally laid him out if he wanted to, but he stopped as best as he could under the circumstances.

Officials took over the 2nd period and beyond against us. Hard to battle 2 different opponents on the ice. Rybar is playing horrible lately. He looks lost out there. No confidence in his play lately. It would not surprise me is Nagle starts on Friday.

If GR does clinch 2nd place, Games 1 & Game 2 of the first round will be in GR next Wed & Thur night.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Grand Rapids Griffins on Thursday signed defenseman Alec McCrea (muh-CRAY) to a one-year contract for the 2019-20 season and assigned goaltender Pat Nagle to the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye.

McCrea, 24, recently concluded a four-year career at Cornell University, totaling 49 points (12-37—49), a plus-41 rating and 62 penalty minutes in 137 games from 2015-19. He helped the Big Red advance to the NCAA Tournament each of the last three seasons and capture the last two Cleary Cups, awarded annually to the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference’s regular season champion. This past season, the 6-foot-3, 202-pound blueliner tallied 12 points (3-9—12), a plus-eight rating and 26 PIM in 36 appearances.

As a junior in 2017-18, he was named the ECAC’s Best Defensive Defenseman and to the All-Ivy Second Team after tying for 19th in the country with a plus-18 rating and tying for the team lead with five power play goals among 12 points (5-7—12) in 32 contests.

A native of El Cajon, Calif., McCrea skated three seasons with the United States Hockey League’s Waterloo Black Hawks prior to college. From 2012-15, he produced 47 points (11-36—47) and 131 PIM in 168 regular season games and showed two points (0-2—2) in 12 Clark Cup Playoff contests. McCrea also spent one season with the Janesville Jets in the North American Hockey League in 2011-12, tallying two points (1-1—2) and 10 PIM in 50 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad