Not open for further replies.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I can't believe this game is going to OT

Edit: Great comeback. Wow. Well done Zadina

Last edited:

jraj

Dec 2, 2018
He's not only learned how to get open better, but he's now got the confidence and skill to make space for himself.

I think when he was drafted, a lot of people, myself included, saw him stepping right onto Larkin's wing and lighting it up. And maybe if he got the chance to be play with Larkin he could have put up a respectable amount of goals, but I think going to the AHL was the right choice long term. He definitely had work to do (and still does!), but I will say that personally I don't view his season thus far as a disappointing or down year.

I think people should take into consideration he's the second youngest player in the league. Using www.prospect-stats.com, I set the filters to players under 20 years old with 10 or more games played. In addition to Zadina, this group includes players such as fowards Martin Necas, Martin Kaut, Eeli Tolvanen, Kailer Yamamoto, Lias Andersson, Klim Kostin and defensemen Nic Hague, Cal Foote, Erik Brannstrom, Rasmus Sandin, Cale Fleury, Timothy Liljegren and more. Here is where Zadina ranks in this group:

Goals: 1st
Primary Assists: 3rd
Primary Points: 1st
Goals/Game Played: 1st
Primary Assists/Games Played: 4th
Primary Points/Games Played: 1st
Points/Games Played: 3rd

I actually didn't realize it until looking at these stats that Zadina only has 3 secondary assists this year. 24/27 points are primary points.

Expanding the filters to include players under 21 opens it up a bit more and adds players such as Drake Batherson, Carl Grundstrom, Max Jones, Taylor Raddysh, Jordan Kyrou, Sam Steel, Vitaly Abramov, etc. Here's where Zadina ranks.

Goals: 7th
Primary Assists: 15th
Primary Points: 8th
Goals/Game Played: 9th
Primary Assists/Games Played: 17th
Primary Points/Games Played: 8th
Points/Games Played: 18th

Zadina has put up some of the best numbers amongst his age group, and even if you pull from a larger age group with players who have been developing longer, I think his numbers are still pretty respectable! He needs some muscle, he needs to be more consistent, but those things will come with time.

Yes, I absolutely agree, I've been saying similar things to this too, that he's the second youngest player in the AHL and tasked with a big jump in competition. It's extremely promising that he's come on the way he has, and I'm sure he will work out to add strength and improve his overall game over the summer.

He may start in Grand Rapids next season too, but hopefully he can dominate and force the issue before too long.

Might be a case of a cocky young kid expecting an easy transition to the next level and bring humbled by the struggle. Seems like he's taken the transition and instruction in stride and gotten better from it. I agree with your point about learning to create his own space. Very important thing for him to learn as a very talented player. His stats among his age group further prove it. He is still an elite talent, give him some time to continue to put it together.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
San Antonio Rampage 2 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 (OT) - Status: Final OT
Saturday, February 16, 2019 - Van Andel Arena

San Antonio 1 0 1 0 - 2
Grand Rapids 0 0 2 1 - 3

1st Period-1, San Antonio, Stevens 6 (Jerabek, Schmaltz), 15:39 (PP).

Penalties-Elson Gr (holding), 4:44; Mikkola Sa (delay of game), 7:46; Campbell Gr (hooking), 14:26; Poganski Sa (elbowing), 18:52.

2nd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Kostin Sa (tripping), 10:28; Kaspick Sa (interference), 15:01; Jerabek Sa (cross-checking), 18:01.

3rd Period-2, San Antonio, Cooper 1 (Mikkola, Walman), 7:52. 3, Grand Rapids, Camper 12 (Terry, Frk), 18:10. 4, Grand Rapids, Frk 1 (Zadina, Cholowski), 19:36.

Penalties-Terry Gr (tripping), 10:08; Sulak Gr (roughing), 12:39; Smith Sa (interference), 13:05; Hicketts Gr (slashing), 15:23.

OT Period-5, Grand Rapids, Zadina 15 0:08.

Penalties-No Penalties

Shots on Goal-San Antonio 13-8-14-0-35. Grand Rapids 6-7-7-1-21.

Power Play Opportunities-San Antonio 1 / 5; Grand Rapids 0 / 6.

Goalies-San Antonio, Fitzpatrick 1-0-0 (20 shots-18 saves); Coreau 10-11-7 (1 shots-0 saves).
Grand Rapids, Rybar 12-7-5 (35 shots-33 saves).

A-10,834

Referees-Chris Pontes (21), Lucas Martin (1).
Linesmen-Jake Davis (23), Jesse Pletsch (51).

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
About 57 minutes of that game was horrible, then it was electrifying.

San Antonio took it to the Griffins for most of the game. Fitzpatrick did not have much work for most of the game. Turgeon hit the post on one of the Griffins pp chances, but that was pretty much it until the last 2 minutes of the game. Camper just turned around and fired a shot that Fitzpatrick made a pad save, but his rebound hit off the Rampage d-man covering Terry and ended up in the back of the net.

Cholowski made a terrible play inside the Rampage blue line and literally gave the puck to a Rampage forward and gave him a free shot at the empty net and he just missed the net and the Griffins got the icing call just before Frk's blast to tie the game. Fitzpatrick either cramped up, or pulled a groin after the goal as he had a hard time getting up. Took nearly 10 minutes to see if he could continue, but he could not. At least he skated back to the dressing room.

Felt bad for Coreau as he only played 0:32 in the game, face one shot and gets the OTL. Megan got his man tied up at the face-off and Zadina got the puck, while the other Rampage forward slowly went behind Megan and his man and Zadina was off to the races with Megan and fired a shot to beat Coreau just 0:08 in OT. Wild night inside as the crowd exploded when the red light came on. Half of the Rampage players slammed their sticks on the bench as they could not believe they ended up losing tonight.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I would add that there was a stretch as he was getting comfortable that he was still making some amazing, intelligent plays, but things just weren't going. He's looked very good at the AHL, and I expect him to play 82 games in the NHL next year without too much issue.

Yeah, okay :skeptic:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don’t expect him to break into the league as a 40 goal guy, but I think next season he plays a full season and scores 20.
Zadina likely starts in Grand Rapids again next season and gets called up when there's an injury.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I hope not. Failing some major coupe, he should beat a couple players in the middle 6 pretty easily out of camp.

I wouldnt be surprised if youre right. Depends on what happens with Nyquist and Vanek too. I highly doubt both are back and I think Vaneks spot in the line up would be perfect for Zadina. Not expected to do a tonne of scoring but gets PP time and offensive mins with solid players. He could ease himself into the league a bit in that spot

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don’t expect him to break into the league as a 40 goal guy, but I think next season he plays a full season and scores 20.

Not sure if you're watching every game Zadina is playing, but he has a long way to go till he's full-time NHL ready. I'm assuming you're not watching him?

Don't let his stats fool you. His overall game is a dumpster fire more often than not. He is improving as he is only 18 years old. He is no where near where Larkin was at his age.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not sure if you're watching every game Zadina is playing, but he has a long way to go till he's full-time NHL ready. I'm assuming you're not watching him?

Don't let his stats fool you. His overall game is a dumpster fire more often than not. He is improving as he is only 18 years old. He is no where near where Larkin was at his age.

I am definitely watching him, and if you think he's a dumpster fire then you're the one who needs to watch much more closely. Also, comparing him to Larkin? Larkin was playing in a lower league in his D+1. Some would argue the NCAA is a step and a half below the AHL, even, when it comes to development leagues.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Should Zadina be in Detroit right now??? Well this is the first stretch of games I have really questioned that all year, that he might be getting ready for the show finally. Guess what they have already said they are doing that so that is good...

Dumpster fire... Yeah that is a big not so much. The ability to say he should be in the NHL really hasn't appeared until this last little stretch despite people calling for it most of the season. He has gotten steadily better, he still struggles to find space at times, but he is getting better. He doesn't make as many curious turnovers. But he hasn't been poor, just pro hockey is tough as a 19 year old and his progression has been steady instead of explosive for those hoping for that. He should challenge for a spot next year, nothing is massively wrong here this is pretty typical development and very far from a dumpster fire.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I expect Zadina to start with Detroit next season barring injury or total offensive collapse.

I'd still keep him in GR the rest of this season regardless of how well he does though. If he's on a hot streak, then good. Keep his confidence up. If he slumps soon, that's also fine. Continue to figure it out.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I am definitely watching him, and if you think he's a dumpster fire then you're the one who needs to watch much more closely. Also, comparing him to Larkin? Larkin was playing in a lower league in his D+1. Some would argue the NCAA is a step and a half below the AHL, even, when it comes to development leagues.

You definitely are not watching him. Count how many times he gets grubbed off the puck per game. He's weak and soft. He is passing better but sometimes makes ill-advised passed and gets rushed, still not good at time and space (which is a HUGE concern if NHL ready). His shot is a bomb and has accuracy and is good at finding open areas, but floats too much. He is not 82 games NHL ready until he can play Red Wings way... not Edmonton Oilers way. And for "comparing" Zadina to Larkin, it was nothing more than work ethics, attitude and maturity. Not skill and style. Thought that'd been stupid obvious, but I guess I was wrong. Derp.

He should play 9 games this season and maybe 30 or 40 next season *if* he continues to improve. He is, without any doubt to anyone with basic hockey understanding, ready for 82 NHL games physically, mentally and readiness. Asking him to is reckless, irresponsible and just asking/begging for a disaster. Hence he is not Dylan Larkin.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You definitely are not watching him. Count how many times he gets grubbed off the puck per game. He's weak and soft. He is passing better but sometimes makes ill-advised passed and gets rushed, still not good at time and space (which is a HUGE concern if NHL ready). His shot is a bomb and has accuracy and is good at finding open areas, but floats too much. He is not 82 games NHL ready until he can play Red Wings way... not Edmonton Oilers way. And for "comparing" Zadina to Larkin, it was nothing more than work ethics, attitude and maturity. Not skill and style. Thought that'd been stupid obvious, but I guess I was wrong. Derp.

He should play 9 games this season and maybe 30 or 40 next season *if* he continues to improve. He is, without any doubt to anyone with basic hockey understanding, ready for 82 NHL games physically, mentally and readiness. Asking him to is reckless, irresponsible and just asking/begging for a disaster. Hence he is not Dylan Larkin.

Except, he isn’t that weak or soft. He needs to put on some muscle, but he’s definitely not weak or soft even compared to some NHL players I could name. Beyond that accusing him of being a floater makes me really believe you haven’t watched him since the beginning of December. And honestly to call it floating is disingenuous. He looked in over his head for the first quarter of the season, and was caught behind plays, but that’s not floating. Finally, Larkin wasn’t NHL ready his D+1. And he was playing in a lesser league. You can make claims about maturity or work ethic, but that’s your claim. The Wings organization seem to like his level of engagement and ethic.

Reactions: HomersWorld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad