Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Called up first is not correct, as you said (bc of cap), so I edited my post to reflect that.

But it does seen like Glendening get preferential treatment, for whatever reason.

Kind of like how 1st round Smith would get scratched for undrafted Lashoff sometimes.

So let's play players based on where they were drafted. Genius.

Glendening got in over Sheahan because he's better.
Lashoff got in over Smith because he was better.

Simple. Not difficult.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Sheahan can be totally trusted.

No he cannot. Not yet. He made more mistakes over a handful of shifts than Glendening has made all year. And their usage by Babcock reflects this level of trust. All this while Sheahan is the prototypical player who Babcock critics claim he typically favors.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, lets play Yuri Butsaev over Datsyuk and Tomas Kopecky over Zetterberg. They were drafted higher! :)
So let's play players based on where they were drafted. Genius.

Glendening got in over Sheahan because he's better.
Lashoff got in over Smith because he was better.

Simple. Not difficult.

Wasn't exactly what I meant.

I was just referring to Babcock's personal preference of defensive defenseman, and grinders, which often leads to him gravitating towards later rounded or undrafted guys, over 1st and 2nd round "skilled" guys.

Getting them up faster, playing them over skilled guys, using them in a bigger role than they should have, etc.

But guess I did a poor job of explaining that.

And that's just my opinion.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Sheahan has not proven to be better than Glendening at any level. At best, Sheahan was as good as Glendening in college (I'm confident I watched more combined games by these two than anyone on this forum), as good in the AHL, and clearly a step behind at the NHL level, at this point in time.

But again, Sheahan likely has the higher upside, assuming he can reach it. Furthermore, he's two and a half years younger than Glendening.

What all this means is that Sheahan's development should continue to be cultivated in an effort to get him to reach his upside. At which point he will be a more valuable player. In the meantime, however, Glendening is better, rightfully more trusted, and should remain ahead of Sheahan on the depth chart. Not sure how anyone who has watched these two guys play at the NHL level could think otherwise. Has nothing to do with some perceived propensity by Babcock to want to "play grinders over skilled guys." Especially considering Sheahan isn't even a "skill guy."

NyquistIsMyGod*

Wasn't exactly what I meant.

I was just referring to Babcock's personal preference of defensive defenseman, and grinders, which often leads to him gravitating towards later rounded or undrafted guys, over 1st and 2nd round "skilled" guys.

Getting them up faster, playing them over skilled guys, using them in a bigger role than they should have, etc.

But guess I did a poor job of explaining that.

And that's just my opinion.

Oh for sure. Helm, and Abdelkader came in raw, and young, but that's based on them being defensive players. Glendening is older than Sheahan, experience is actually somewhat similar, but at this point he's just more trusted. I'm kind of the same way though. I understand the slight difference, and Sheahan having more potential, but I too would play Glendening.

Have Sheahan play about 5 games in the NHL this season. More or less actually. Have a semi-big role in the AHL (hard with the team being stacked) rather than less minutes up in the big league. He's nto at the point yet where he's done everything he needs to do in the AHL. See Gus and Tats.

I think Almquist has a better shot at maknig the team next season than Ouellet (Ouellet is better). I'd rather Almquist come up than Ouellet if we need a kid.

With this said, I really wnat Marchenko up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Almquist has a better shot at maknig the team next season than Ouellet (Ouellet is better). I'd rather Almquist come up than Ouellet if we need a kid.

Really? That's interesting. Why is that? I tend to prefer Ouellet over Almquist.

With this said, I really wnat Marchenko up.

Agreed. I'd actually probably prefer him to the 2 you mentioned. He's impressive in person, has the size, and we need a righty pretty desperately on D.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Really? That's interesting. Why is that? I tend to prefer Ouellet over Almquist.

Agreed. I'd actually probably prefer him to the 2 you mentioned. He's impressive in person, has the size, and we need a righty pretty desperately on D.

Because Xavier Ouellet can play another year in the minors. Come up around 15/16. Almquist is out of options I believe, and could be a 7th defenseman next season. So we can get him more experience. We could honestly use him too, considering the PP woes.

Like I said, I think Ouellet is better than Almquist. Just something I think that makes a bit of sense. I know it goes against by Glendening/Sheahan point, but it's just a preference in the backend with the PP dudding.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because Xavier Ouellet can play another year in the minors. Come up around 15/16. Almquist is out of options I believe, and could be a 7th defenseman next season. So we can get him more experience. We could honestly use him too, considering the PP woes.

Like I said, I think Ouellet is better than Almquist. Just something I think that makes a bit of sense. I know it goes against by Glendening/Sheahan point, but it's just a preference in the backend with the PP dudding.

Yeah I see what you're saying, to get him (AA ready for next year). In that case it would make sense.

Personally I don't see Almquist having a future with the Red Wings, but I have never been high on him as an NHL player. I'm not saying you're wrong for thinking AA could contribute to the PP, but I think the rest of his game would be exposed in the NHL.

I think Ouellet is better, but I think he could benefit from another year in the AHL.

I think our defense is going to look something like this next year:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Smith
Kindl-Free Agent
Lashoff

If I had to guess.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings win a shootout and Triston Grant just ties the game 2-2.

EDIT:

Tough loss, Jaskin scored GWG 2 minutes before the end.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 5 h
Good period for DET's Marchenko. Lining up on top PP, 2nd PK. Seems to have made adjustment to NA fine.

Not sure if Sproul is hurt, but has barely played. Paetsch-Almquist and Ouellet-Marchenko getting rolled.

Then Sproul gets a shift and his team lets up a goal after a so-so pass from him.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 4 h
Does a little of everything fine. Good frame, mobile, can defend and move the puck. RT @gener4: @coreypronman How is Marchenko looking?

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Tom McCollum looks to be doing well now all of a sudden? was just skimming through Griffins stats and noticed his 92.7 Sv%. Small sample size, but still. He's actually putting up better stats than Markström, for whatever that's worth :laugh:

But how come?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
It began last year for him. He started putting different parts of his game together, doesn't flail like he did at times, controls the rebounds much better, improved his positional play, and just plays with confidence. This team in front of him is very good too. I have read that he doesn't get shook up after a goal like he did before

god jul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tom McCollum looks to be doing well now all of a sudden? was just skimming through Griffins stats and noticed his 92.7 Sv%. Small sample size, but still. He's actually putting up better stats than Markström, for whatever that's worth :laugh:

But how come?

It's unbelieveable how the goalie stats can go up and down. Markström looked great at summer, and McCollum's reputation was horrible. Now it's not anything like that anymore.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
5p75k.jpg

NyquistIsMyGod*

McCollum is perfect trade fodder... if only Holland made trades.

Agreed. Posting awesome numbers, still young in goaltender standards, and really isn't needed too much. However, you can take the risk of Mrazek up next season, and McCullum down starting. His numbers could drop and you take a loss in value.

Goaltenders are such a weird thing as Frk mentioned. What's the average age of a first year starter?

Aug 6, 2012
I though McCollum was on an AHL deal? And he still has barely any value so its much better for him to be playing in GR than getting basically nothing for him.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
McCollum's contract is with the GR Griffins. He has value but there must not be many teams looking at him. Blash was a goalie so maybe he has coached him up a bit

NyquistIsMyGod*

I though McCollum was on an AHL deal? And he still has barely any value so its much better for him to be playing in GR than getting basically nothing for him.

I'd say he has decent value despite this short little run.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Theoretically, they could trade his rights which they still own since they offered him a QO. He'd still have to accept the other team's offer after that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->