Grand Rapids Griffins 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Wolves caught the Griffins with our legs still in Winnipeg as they man-handled us tonight. McCollum was shaky and had difficultly with the puck. PK was terrible as the Wolves were 3-3 and the last one the Wolves killed their PP by taking a penalty of their own.

Griffins had no breaks tonight as they hit the cross bar twice and the post once, Saarijarvi had his first AHL goal taken away by a quick whistle. Wolves got away with just about everything and the Griffins could not touch them at all. Worse game in about 2 months and was expecting this could happen.

Machovsky came in the 2nd period after McCollum looked bad on the Wolves 3rd goal and he looked pretty sharp. Stopped a breakaway and a 2 on 1 while he was in. Only goal he gave up was the Wolves 3rd PP goal early in the 3rd as 2 Griffins got sucked up by the blue line and Wolves had a nice 2 on 1 down low and the one player got the puck in front of the other Wolves player and redirected the puck in front and went in. Nothing Machovsky could do on it. Machovsky made a nice pass during one of the Griffins pp to catch the Wolves on a change.

Svechnikov made a nice pass from behind the net to Tangradi for the first Griffins goal and Tangradi hits the post seconds later before taking a high-sticking penalty to kill the Griffins burst of energy. Street made a nice tip-in on the Griffins pp goal from Svechnikov shot. Better luck on Sat and Sun against Iowa.

It seems he may be good at that.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
They have used 7 D at least a dozen times this year. This is the scoresheet from Oct 14 (4th game of the year) which was the first time they employed 7D.
https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1017168
Holland always signs too much redundant veteran depth.

They have played 7 d in a game 17 times this season so far. Injuries to our forwards at different times throughout the season and at times the Griffins schedule, has forced Nelson's hand to put out 7 d in the lineup.

It is better to have too much depth in your minor league system, than not enough.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Iowa Wild 1 at Grand Rapids Griffins 2 - Status: Final
Saturday, February 24, 2018 - Van Andel Arena

Iowa 0 0 1 - 1
Grand Rapids 0 2 0 - 2

1st Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-No Penalties

2nd Period-1, Grand Rapids, Ford 20 (Saarijarvi, Hicketts), 12:06 (PP). 2, Grand Rapids, Lorito 18 (Tangradi, Svechnikov), 16:32 (PP).

Penalties-Ford Gr (slashing), 2:10; White Ia (interference), 5:28; Kunin Ia (holding), 10:39; Svedberg Ia (tripping), 15:35; Lorito Gr (hooking), 17:20.

3rd Period-3, Iowa, Gabriel 2 (White, Murphy), 19:57.

Penalties-Street Gr (slashing), 10:11.

Shots on Goal-Iowa 6-8-9-23. Grand Rapids 16-7-10-33.

Power Play Opportunities-Iowa 0 / 3; Grand Rapids 2 / 3.

Goalies-Iowa, Svedberg 16-10-3 (33 shots-31 saves). Grand Rapids, McCollum 9-9-3 (23 shots-22 saves).

A-10,221

Referees-Guillaume Labonte (35), Jeremy Tufts (78).
Linesmen-Jake Davis (23), Pat Richardson (67).

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Iowa Wild 2 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 (SO) - Status: Final SO
Sunday, February 25, 2018 - Van Andel Arena

Iowa 1 1 0 0 - 2
Grand Rapids 1 1 0 0 - 3

1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Hronek 8 (Lorito), 1:10 (PP). 2, Iowa, Anas 19 (Palmquist, Rau), 11:04 (PP).

Penalties-served by Mayhew Ia (bench minor - delay of game (faceoff violation)), 0:35; White Ia (fighting), 3:08; McIlrath Gr (interference), 3:08; Tangradi Gr (fighting), 3:08; Svechnikov Gr (tripping), 10:32; Svechnikov Gr (cross-checking), 11:28; Ford Gr (goaltender interference), 15:42.

2nd Period-3, Iowa, Mayhew 10 (Menell, Anas), 14:34. 4, Grand Rapids, Lorito 19 (Campbell, Turgeon), 16:17.

Penalties-Rau Ia (elbowing), 5:00.

3rd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Palmquist Ia (holding the stick), 6:41; Loov Ia (interference), 9:53; Campbell Gr (boarding), 13:13.

OT Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-No Penalties

Shootout - Iowa 0 (Anas NG, Mitchell NG, Kloos NG), Grand Rapids 1 (Turgeon G, Tangradi NG).

Shots on Goal-Iowa 15-6-6-1-0-28. Grand Rapids 8-11-11-4-1-35.

Power Play Opportunities-Iowa 1 / 5; Grand Rapids 1 / 4.

Goalies-Iowa, Svedberg 16-10-4 (34 shots-32 saves). Grand Rapids, Machovsky 1-0-0 (28 shots-26 saves).

A-10,367

Referees-Guillaume Labonte (35), Jeremy Tufts (78).
Linesmen-John Tallieu (94), Logan Wetekamp (1).

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Is Hicketts very effective at screening goalies? I... wouldn't think so.

He creates traffic in front of the net to the point that the other team's d-man has a hard time moving him out of there. He sometimes drifts to the wing position on the pp unit and can gets off a good shot. Also helps out in the corners to dig pucks out and creates problems behind the net as well. Just depends who Nelson puts out on the 2nd pp unit, especially when Puempel is still out (should be back next Wed game) and Svech replaced him on the 1st PP unit.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Is Hicketts very effective at screening goalies? I... wouldn't think so.
His low center of gravity makes him hard to move. I wanted to catch today's game but couldn't so I haven't watched him there yet but I am sure he is a little ball of hate. Dino Cicarrelli was probably the all-time best net-front guy.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Bertuzzi and Coreau were sent back down to GR (on paper) and recalled back to Detroit in order for those 2 to be allowed to participate in the post season for the Griffins. In doing this, the Wings have used up 2 of the 4 after the TDL recalls that each team can use.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bertuzzi and Coreau were sent back down to GR (on paper) and recalled back to Detroit in order for those 2 to be allowed to participate in the post season for the Griffins. In doing this, the Wings have used up 2 of the 4 after the TDL recalls that each team can use.

That is okay, they will just use emergency callups more than likely. They could shutdown Kronwall any day they want to call up Hronek for instance. I am sure they can accomplish what they want.

While I am happy for GR, I am surprised they kept Bertuzzi eligible. They haven't done that a whole lot with guys the last bunch of years that they could have done that with but were clearly already NHL guys.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
While I am happy for GR, I am surprised they kept Bertuzzi eligible. They haven't done that a whole lot with guys the last bunch of years that they could have done that with but were clearly already NHL guys.

When the Wings were in the playoffs and winning cups, Griffins suffered big time to where our top players would get called up to the Wings (Black Aces) and the Griffins (if we made the playoffs that season) ended up with 3rd and 4th liners along with players in Toledo and players coming from juniors, Europe, or college, who had no pro experience at all and we would that an early exit from our playoffs. It was not pretty here. But when the Wings did not win anymore Stanley Cups, players that came from GR who moved up to Detroit, saw that those players had this "losing mentality", so the Wings finally sunk in that in order to have a winning culture in the NHL, you have to have the same philosophy in your AHL affiliate, and thus the Griffins have that "winning culture" for the past 5-7 seasons.

With Bertuzzi, the Wings are 98% not going to make the playoffs (barring a miracle) so for their development, it is best for him to keep playing and gain more playoff experience and more confidence for the next season.

With Coreau, it gives the Wings a much longer look to see if he is worth while to resigning him for next season (maybe beyond) to be their #2 goalie, or if not, give other NHL teams a look and maybe make a trade to get something that the Wings need.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When the Wings were in the playoffs and winning cups, Griffins suffered big time to where our top players would get called up to the Wings (Black Aces) and the Griffins (if we made the playoffs that season) ended up with 3rd and 4th liners along with players in Toledo and players coming from juniors, Europe, or college, who had no pro experience at all and we would that an early exit from our playoffs. It was not pretty here. But when the Wings did not win anymore Stanley Cups, players that came from GR who moved up to Detroit, saw that those players had this "losing mentality", so the Wings finally sunk in that in order to have a winning culture in the NHL, you have to have the same philosophy in your AHL affiliate, and thus the Griffins have that "winning culture" for the past 5-7 seasons.

With Bertuzzi, the Wings are 98% not going to make the playoffs (barring a miracle) so for their development, it is best for him to keep playing and gain more playoff experience and more confidence for the next season.

With Coreau, it gives the Wings a much longer look to see if he is worth while to resigning him for next season (maybe beyond) to be their #2 goalie, or if not, give other NHL teams a look and maybe make a trade to get something that the Wings need.

With Bertuzzi he is an established NHL guy at this point really. There is a decent chance he finishes the last 20 games in the top 6 in Detroit. He won the Playoff MVP last year, there isn't a whole lot more for him to accomplish at that level. Similarly they have let other guys in the past shuffle out of that and have a longer off-season.

I understand the Griffins are not just a Wings play thing. I say that often. I also have applauded their investment at this level and agree with the importance of growing up on winning teams when it is possible to control that. I also like that one of their Vets has generally also been able to protect the younger kids. They are doing GR right.

Just saying I am surprised in terms of Bertuzzi. I wonder if he was consulted at all on it, I would think they at least called him in to ask him about it.

Coreau for me was always going back on a paper transaction today. I fully expected that move.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Just saying I am surprised in terms of Bertuzzi. I wonder if he was consulted at all on it, I would think they at least called him in to ask him about it.

Knowing Bertuzzi and getting to know him personally through the Griffins booster club functions, he most likely told Holland that if the Wings did not make the playoffs this season and the Griffins do make it, that he wants to be a part of it. You are correct that he has nothing to prove here since he won the Playoff MVP last season, but it shows that he wants to play and not sit around. It would not surprise me a bit if that happened.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Sucks that Sadowy probably won’t make the nhl

He is doing well in Toledo from what I'm reading and hearing from some of the Walleye fans that made it to the Griffins game here on Sunday. He is on a 7 game scoring streak down there. Nice guy to talk to as he sat with me at the awards dinner last April. Just too many guys ahead of him here in GR right now to where Toledo is his best option to get playing time at the moment.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
That is okay, they will just use emergency callups more than likely. They could shutdown Kronwall any day they want to call up Hronek for instance. I am sure they can accomplish what they want.

They would need more than just "shutting down" Kronwall to utilize emergency recall. Another Dman would have to be out/sick/hurt/etc. as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->