Grand Larsson-y: NHL 2011 Draft Top 30 – Holiday Edition (via THW)

Crimson Devil*

HERE is my own idiosyncratic rankings at mid-term before the TOPPRSOPECTS GAME gives a further comparison or before the WJHC is over (has not even startedas I post this)...IN some caes I'm downgrading because of what I have seen when they played,in other cases I have not seen certain draft eligibles play yet but I'm going on projection hunches and what I have ead on their progress..

SO for what it is worth I have a TOP 16 picked out --after that others to make up a top 30 are all over the place from17-30 so I have not firmed up a ranking ye for those in that tier.

SO here are my top 16:

1. Gabriel Landeskog
2. Dougie Hamilton
3.Duncan Siemens
4. Sean Couturier
5. CHRIS GIBSON
6. Jonathan Huberdeau
7. Mark McNeill
8. Colin Jacobs
9.Ryan Murphy
10. Joe Morrow
11.Peter Ceresnak
12. SAMU PERHONEN
13. Adam Larsson
14. Ryan Strome
15. Brandon Saad
16. Ryan Nigent-Hopkins
This is the worst list I have ever seen. Larsson #13? Couturier #4? You clearly don't have a ****ing idea what you're doing.

Let the pros handle this.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
My version of a quick mock with today's standings

1. NJ - Larsson
2. NYI - Couturier
3. BOS - Murphy
4. EDM - Nugent-Hopkins
5. BUF - Landeskog
6. FLO - Saad
7. CGY - Strome
8. OTT - Siemens
9. CAR - Hamilton
10. MIN - Armia
11. CLB - Huberdeau
12. PHX - Bartschi
13. STL - Jurco
14. ANA - Musil
15. NSH - Ambroz
16. BOS - Puempel
17. CHI - Beaulieu
18. LA - McNeill
19. NYR - Khoklachev
20. COL - Rask
21. MTL - Catenacci
22. ATL - Jensen
23. SJ - Harrington
24. WSH - Oleksiak
25. TB - Bell
26. VAN - Rattie
27. DAL - Clendening
28. DET - Jaskin
29. PHI - Jenner
30. PIT - Nieto

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
My version of a quick mock with today's standings

1. NJ - Larsson
2. NYI - Couturier
3. BOS - Murphy
4. EDM - Nugent-Hopkins
5. BUF - Landeskog
6. FLO - Saad
7. CGY - Strome
8. OTT - Siemens
9. CAR - Hamilton
10. MIN - Armia
11. CLB - Huberdeau
12. PHX - Bartschi
13. STL - Jurco
14. ANA - Musil
15. NSH - Ambroz
16. BOS - Puempel
17. CHI - Beaulieu
18. LA - McNeill
19. NYR - Khoklachev
20. COL - Rask
21. MTL - Catenacci
22. ATL - Jensen
23. SJ - Harrington
24. WSH - Oleksiak
25. TB - Bell
26. VAN - Rattie
27. DAL - Clendening
28. DET - Jaskin
29. PHI - Jenner
30. PIT - Nieto
If the Oilers take RNH with the 4th overall pick I will hunt you down and kick you in the nuts :D I think he's slightly overrated and majorly undersized. Landeskog, or Siemens hopefully.

Smid, Peckham, Petry, Plante, Marincin, and Siemens would give the Oilers a good blue line hopefully in the future. Landeskog they would have to take as the BPA though

Celtic Cross

Jan 29, 2010
Hamilton, ON
its funny watc hing your mock drafts without you all relising that New Jerseys 1st round draft pick got taken away, with that fuine for the whole kovalchuk saga, last place no draft pick lol

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
its funny watc hing your mock drafts without you all relising that New Jerseys 1st round draft pick got taken away, with that fuine for the whole kovalchuk saga, last place no draft pick lol

Actually they lose 1 in the next 4 years. They can pick which year they are going to forfeit the pick I believe.

Celtic Cross

Jan 29, 2010
Hamilton, ON
no.. they forfeit there 1st and 3rd in this years draft... if your taking away a teams picks its dumb to say choose a year and thats the one you lose

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

OilerOlli*

To me it is the best and most realistic Top 30 I have seen so far. Even better than ISS.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
What does it matter where a player is selected. Gillis is on the record as saying he thinks the Canucks have numerous defensemen in the system knocking at the door.

Connauton was a 3rd round pick in 2009, and after his one season of offensive dominance in the WHL, has moved on to the AHL and has done nothing but impress, and improve on his defensive game.

Yann Sauve - 2nd rounder in 2008, 6'3" 215ish and can skate well for that size, get healthy, and play safe....he has a lot of PRO tools in his game already.

Chris Tanev- college free agent, who grew from 5'7 ish to 6'2" all after 18, he has a lot of two way ability as well.

Patrick McNally - 4th rounder in 2010, ranked 40th in CSB final rankings (his age and plans to play at Harvard probably scared more teams off).

Im not saying the Canucks are the LA kings, St Louis Blues, or Nashville Predators, but they dont NEED to draft a defensman in the 1st round. Would I like them to? YES, if there arent forwards available who they think are better.

I like your list THW....keep it up.

None of these prospects have a reasonable likelihood of becoming a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. They are all second-tier prospects. You can find 4 or 5 guys like these on every team, about all of whom hopeful and positive things can be said. But that's not being in decent shape. The Canucks haven't had a really quality blueline prospect since Edler graduated and Bourdon got killed, and you're dreaming if you think Yann Sauve is the answer to that. Maybe they don't need one for the moment, with the blueline depth they have, but that doesn't change the fact that of they think positionally (and they might not do so, of course) then Defense is the overwhelmingly obvious need to address.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
If the Oilers take RNH with the 4th overall pick I will hunt you down and kick you in the nuts :D I think he's slightly overrated and majorly undersized. Landeskog, or Siemens hopefully.

Smid, Peckham, Petry, Plante, Marincin, and Siemens would give the Oilers a good blue line hopefully in the future. Landeskog they would have to take as the BPA though

I disagree about RNH. He's got a skinny frame sure, but that can be addressed, so I don't think he's undersized at all. He'd also be a great center for Hall and Eberle. It's debatable whether Landeskog is BPA in that slot either.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
1. NJ - Larsson

2. NYI - Couturier

3. BOS - Murphy [Need a defenseman and Murphy has proven to be the best OHL defenseman this year so far]

4. EDM - Landeskog [pass on RNH because they have a similar player in Gagner]

5. BUF - Nugent-Hopkins

6. FLO - Strome

7. CGY - Hamilton

8. OTT - Saad [Gets a powerforward prospect]

9. CAR - Armia

10. MIN - Musil [Great fit into their system]

Last edited:

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
I will be THRILLED if the Oilers get a chance to draft RNH. What, you can't win with a small(er), fast, incredibly skilled team?

IF RNH has the level of skill that is advertised, he would fit in perfectly well with the Oilers' core.

I think I'd prefer Couturier due to his defensive/faceoff abilities, but RNH is a pretty close second. It seems RNH has a level of speed that may see him dominate if paired with a guy like Hall.

And if given the chance, I don't see Stu McGregor passing on him. He gushed about him in a prospect watch video of RNH.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
1. NJ - Larsson

2. NYI - Couturier

3. BOS - Murphy [Need a defenseman and Murphy has proven to be the best OHL defenseman this year so far]

4. EDM - Landeskog [pass on RNH because they have a similar player in Gagner]

5. BUF - Nugent-Hopkins

6. FLO - Strome

7. CGY - Hamilton

8. OTT - Saad [Gets a powerforward prospect]

9. CAR - Armia

10. MIN - Musil [Great fit into their system]

I see Musil slipping well out of the Top 10 to be honest. If Wild go with a blueliner, Duncan Siemens would be great building block if he were on the board as this scenario suggests...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->