Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Same honestly. I do think Granato is a very good developmental coach, but I think he’s lacking for a team that needs to turn the corner and start winning more games, and he shot himself in the foot bringing in inexperienced assistants. I’m sure he could’ve been more successful/worked out longer if he’d gotten himself better help behind the bench. I wish Donny the best, but, like you said, this needed to be done.
I would think Granato is a GREAT assistant coach. Good with the players, easy to talk to, can be a media face to let the head coach focus on the team

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
No I haven't.

It's very clearly the Pegula's decision.

This isn't a two vote situation.

If Adams wants to fire him, and the Pegula's don't, he stays.

If Adams wants to keep him and the Pegula's want him gone, he's gone.

Only one voice matters. And Adams voice only matters if the Pegulas say it does.
By your logic, no GM makes the decision to fire a coach, the ownership does. Which is fine to claim, just be completely honest about it instead of making it a Pegula thing.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
What about the most likely option?

That Adams wanted to fire DG and Pegula was fine with it? That doesn't mean it's Pegula's decision.....just means that Pegula is fine paying DG not to coach us anymore.

And frankly.......most NHL GMs will consult their owner before firing any HC.
I would think ALL GMs would at least try to consult with the owner before making the move.

Some fans have axes to grind so they throw their assumptions into a situation to prove points that are all unknowns. Unfortunate

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I like Apps. He's way outperformed what I thought he was from his struggles at RPI. And some of that is on his assistants, some is certainly him, but no way should he be the choice to roll in as rookie head coach #4 for this owner.

What do you mean by outperformed. The Sabres have invested heavily in the AHL and had one of the largest payrolls in the entire league this year. Not to mention, he has been gifted some really high picks and top prospects.

You would think all that would get you a calder trophy, they havent come close and wont this year. Not sure what he has done to "outperform"

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
What do you mean by outperformed. The Sabres have invested heavily in the AHL and had one of the largest payrolls in the entire league this year. Not to mention, he has been gifted some really high picks and top prospects.

You would think all that would get you a calder trophy, they havent come close and wont this year. Not sure what he has done to "outperform"
? They made it to the conference finals last year and lost to the eventual winners

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Well, they were one of the final four teams left last year, and they're one of the top teams in their division and one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs this year, so saying they won't come close this year isn't a prediction based on how they're currently playing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

His teams were a mess his last few years at RPI. While Rochester has an annual development arc of starting the year where one wonders what the hell they are doing, by the end, they proverbially are all rowing in the same direction. They've won a lot more down there by adapting than I expected given his RPI time - so his team has outperformed my expectations based on his history.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No I haven't.

It's very clearly the Pegula's decision.

This isn't a two vote situation.

If Adams wants to fire him, and the Pegula's don't, he stays.

If Adams wants to keep him and the Pegula's want him gone, he's gone.

Only one voice matters. And Adams voice only matters if the Pegulas say it does.
I mean, do you have to ask your boss to frivolously spend $4M? Yes. They probably both agreed at the time of the extension and both agreed now to cut ties. Making Adams out to be a pawn or head scout yes man is a silly schtick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can’t believe we have to wait until the Canes are eliminated to get a new coach
I doubt they hire RBA.

Now Jeff Daniels certainly has a relationship with Kevyn Adams.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Our next HC needs balls.
1713282674785.png

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
While there is a zero point zero percent chance Matt Ellis is the next coach…thinking about it does open up the ultimate “actually, I’m being promoted” Office Space moment in sports history

Or for anyone that's seen Eurotrip:

[Ellis] Hello Mr. Adams. I see. Fired? Well...I...well if that's what you want. I understand, it's just... Good-bye sir.

[Ellis' Friend] They had to get you eventually.

[Ellis] No, they fired Donny.

[Ellis' Friend] Shut Up!

[Ellis] I got his office and a raise.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I like Apps. He's way outperformed what I thought he was from his struggles at RPI. And some of that is on his assistants, some is certainly him, but no way should he be the choice to roll in as rookie head coach #4 for this owner.
And Karmanos

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I doubt they hire RBA.

Now Jeff Daniels certainly has a relationship with Kevyn Adams.

That could be an interesting candidate. Less HC experience than Appert, but more NHL experience behind the bench, under a great coach to boot.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think the coach search will go like last time.
Adams will wait until Brindamor re-signs in Carolina and then hire Appert as coach.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
On Lindy.....I actually like him a lot more as a front office member than I do a head coach. Heck, place him above Adams in the "President of Hockey Ops' title we all want. A fresh set of eyes to evaluate.

Getting hired by the Sabres requires meeting three criteria:

1. "Qualiified"
2. Who Terry is willing to hire.
3. Who is willing to take the job.

Under the circumstances I think Lindy is fairly close to the top of the list. To your point, under Pegula I think one of the better options for permanently getting this sinking ship afloat is likely Ruff as HC and back into the playoff regularly. Followed by a "retirement' or "promotion" to President of Hockey Ops to shield the franchise from its owner.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
In order of what I'd want to happen..

Berube
Broudreau
Lindy
Peca

-Berube has a Stanley cup championship and had a good run with the Blues
-Broudreau has taken almost every team he's coached on a playoff run. His recent stint in Vancouver worries me but he has playoff experience
-Lindy because he has a long history with the franchise but the devils are a similar team to the Sabres so IDK if he'd be the right match
-Peca is the only rookie head coach I'd consider. He's familiar with the org and the players but if you bring him in, he MUST have an assistance with NHL head coaching experience (maybe Lindy?)

I didn't include Gallant because he has a rough track record of getting fired from good situations which leaves me with question marks on him. I also feel like he'd bump heads with Terry a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad