TSN Radio Granato: Matthew's a 10

Sylhfer

#34 ԅ(‹o›Д‹o›ԅ)
Nov 25, 2013
Lurking...
Today from Leafs Lunch.

What can Auston Matthews bring to a team? What did you see the years you were with him?

Granato: I saw a lot of things that are harder for other people to see. I’ve done a lot of scouting in my career as well, and the hard part when you scout is that you’re trying to figure out what a coach is asking of him. Is he doing it exactly as he’s asked? How good of a teammate is he? What’s he like in the locker room? What’s he like on the bus, or in your community? All of those questions, if you answer them with a rating, are a 10.

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...ws-ive-ice-lot-first-round-picks-whole-level/

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I was most impressed when Granato stated this:

I’ve been lucky to be on the ice with a lot of first-round picks, Hobey Baker winners and such. This is a whole other level because of the combination. He wins outright in the intangibles but he wins outright in the skill as well.

In short, Matthews is very mature for his age and is a consummate professional.

Also,

Mike got to see him last year, coach Babcock did, because my brother was a part of his staff. He came and watched Auston play against the University of Michigan, who had Dylan Larkin and JT Compher and Zach Werenski on a team. Keep in mind Auston is a junior in high school and we’re playing the University of Michigan. He scored an unbelievable goal against Michigan that night and was pretty dominant in the game that night as well.

I can't imagine how happy Babcock must be.

There is a perfect storm brewing in Toronto as far as sports franchises are concerned.

Sylhfer

#34 ԅ(‹o›Д‹o›ԅ)
Nov 25, 2013
Lurking...
I was most impressed when Granato stated this:

I also liked:

so Sydney Crosby was there. The short of the story is that Auston told me, when he came back, “listen coach, I don’t want to go play junior against younger players – 16 year olds and 17 year olds. We played Division I games, so I got a feel for college hockey. I really want to go play against men...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I had a lot of talent. You let them drive the bus. No better guy than Auston Matthews. His dad even told me after the tournament – he said, “You know, he wanted to win that one for you.†That’s the type of kid that he is. He’s a team guy. He wants to win. The results for him aren’t on how many interviews he does or who pats him on the back. The results for him, the only result, is winning, whether that be a practice or a game.
This speaks babcock guy out loud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad