Confirmed with Link: Granato hires his coaching staff (post #43)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
First time I’ve had this thought, but I like the idea of having coaches who had to work as players to make and stay in the NHL, as opposed to a player-turned-coach who got by on talent. That said, I have no insight as to how good or effective they are at actual coaching.

Reactions: hizzoner

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
First time I’ve had this thought, but I like the idea of having coaches who had to work as players to make and stay in the NHL, as opposed to a player-turned-coach who got by on talent. That said, I have no insight as to how good or effective they are at actual coaching.

Nor does anyone else, really, since the only real coaching they've done has been with Buffalo after Granato took over. Fingers crossed that they work out.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The quote did not say they would be assistants.

He said retain them. Could be in the current position they are in, which is player development.

Reactions: Club

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bruce Boudreau would probably work for peanuts as associate head coach. If he wants another shot at being a head coach he needs to be visible. Jacques Martin is another possibility.

Reactions: jc17

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'd prefer if he hired one experienced asst coach to go along with Ellis and Girardi.......but I have no complaints with Ellis and Girardi themselves.
100% agree - and hoping Adams & Karmanos do too. An ideal and logical choice would be Kevin Dineen:
1. He's got a lot of experience as a head coach and assistant at AHL, NHL and international level.
2. He enjoys and is respected for working with young players to develop them.
3. His playing career was a postcard for hard work, grit, hustle and tenacity - which often motivates younger players.
4. He worked with Granato as co-assistant coaches in Chicago, where Dineen ran the power play and forwards - so there's a connection there.
5. He played with Adams in Columbus - so there's a connection there.
6. Dineen's contract with San Diego expired last month and was not renewed by Anaheim, who went with Joel Bouchard - so Dineen's a free agent at the moment.

If Dineen were added as Associate coach (based on experience) and worked with the forwards / PP while Girardi stays with the defensemen / PK; Bales stays with the goalies; and Ellis stays on the development side, it'd really form a good coaching staff that can develop along with the young players.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
100% agree - and hoping Adams & Karmanos do too. An ideal and logical choice would be Kevin Dineen:
1. He's got a lot of experience as a head coach and assistant at AHL, NHL and international level.
2. He enjoys and is respected for working with young players to develop them.
3. His playing career was a postcard for hard work, grit, hustle and tenacity - which often motivates younger players.
4. He worked with Granato as co-assistant coaches in Chicago, where Dineen ran the power play and forwards - so there's a connection there.
5. He played with Adams in Columbus - so there's a connection there.
6. Dineen's contract with San Diego expired last month and was not renewed by Anaheim, who went with Joel Bouchard - so Dineen's a free agent at the moment.

If Dineen were added as Associate coach (based on experience) and worked with the forwards / PP while Girardi stays with the defensemen / PK; Bales stays with the goalies; and Ellis stays on the development side, it'd really form a good coaching staff that can develop along with the young players.

I also like the idea of bringing in Dineen

Reactions: sabremike

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
If Matt freaking Ellis is in charge of the pp, we have no pp. Please bring Dineen or anyone for that role.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Smart move for sure. Can't speak for Matty "Freakin'" Ellis, but I hope Girardi comes back.

I love continuity and I'll take it anywhere I can get it with this roster but man, I'm with you. Cannot speak for Matt Ellis in his current position but he was a pretty underwhelming coach in the years leading up to this regime change and was the third worst (regular) Sabre to watch of my lifetime, right after good old Matt Ryan and Andrej Mezsaros. Could not fight, could not score, could not cycle, could not even hit. He was the definition of a tweener. Plenty of crappy NHL players have turned into decent coaches in the professional level, but man, seeing old Dead Eyes Ellis coming back does nothing for me.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If Matt freaking Ellis is in charge of the pp, we have no pp. Please bring Dineen or anyone for that role.

Dude. This is THE Matt Ellis. The guy who played 356 games in the NHL and never registered a point on the PP. We are blessed to have him. This is the guy who played almost a full season and had a 2.7 shooting percentage. He KNOWS offense.

Reactions: beerme1

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why do people think a players ability/inability on the ice should reflect on them as a coach? Shouldn't that make Gretzky the best coach of all time?

Matt Ellis knows what it takes to make the NHL and stick in the NHL. He did the grind. So did Girardi.

It could very well be that Ellis knew what to do, he just didn't have the skill to do it.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Why do people think a players ability/inability on the ice should reflect on them as a coach? Shouldn't that make Gretzky the best coach of all time?

Usually the players that were not able to stick to the NHL on natural ability alone do well coaching. They have to study systems and work on technique moreso than a guy like Gretzky that just had extremely high spatial intelligence and a wide package of other tools that left him without the need to really master systems. Systems were built around him, he did not have to fit into them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->