Grading the off season moves

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
No teams had a proper training camp.

We were in one of the worst divisions in hockey this year.

Every team had compressed bits of their schedule.

These excuses are pathetic.

We have 6 regulation wins in 25 games against Ottawa/Calgary/Montreal who are all poor teams.
Well said. I don’t want to hear excuses for the abysmal start and poor season. Covid? Sure. That was a legit reason to expect execution to suffer, but it’s not the reason for poor systems play, dumb TDL moves/non moves, the Pearson extension, and inexplicable lineup decisions. It’s just not.
This is a garbage team. One can be a Canucks fan and still recognize that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What does change is that they will have a proper training camp, and not have an insane schedule like they did to start the season. (where they could not practice).Plus they will be in a division with two rebuilding teams , and an expansion team.
I fully expect EP and QH to rebound next season.

How did you get a rough draft to Benning's end of season press conference?

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I wasnt using them as 'excuses', how many times do you want to hear me say that it was a disappointing season even before the Covid break (they literally did themselves in, in the first 3 weeks) ..I'm just stating whats going to be different next season.

Based on what, exactly? Everything you cite will also be true for 31 other teams. This hockey club could easily be WORSE next year if they have the same coach trying the same tactics against stronger teams.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The bragging about 16-18-3 or whatever Is hilarious. It’s .472 winning percentage still behind Arizona and Calgary.

It required like .950 goaltending over 10 games to get to .472 but sure Covid.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I didn't mind the off-season moves very much (though the team's lack of communication with pending UFAs was weird); I minded what led to those moves.

More than anything else I was irritated by the uproar in the media (and on this forum) about letting certain players walk, as though the issue hadn't been predicted years before.

Those who were furious about Tanev moving on, or Markstrom, or whomever, should have been apologizing to those that they sneered at when they criticized management for signing Beagle, Roussel, etc. to crippling contracts. Instead they pretended to be shocked that the Canucks were in cap trouble and acted as though this was the first time Benning had made a serious mistake.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Based on what, exactly? Everything you cite will also be true for 31 other teams. This hockey club could easily be WORSE next year if they have the same coach trying the same tactics against stronger teams.
Our best player being healthy...the continued growth of our current core players, and complimentary core players (Hog,Rathbone , Juolevi, Podkolzin)
Every team has their own set of positives and negatives depending on what cycle they're on ..aging out, still in an early rebuild stage..etc..Its not the same for everybody

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
my only definite regret this offseason is not signing tryamkin. that's on covid, but it sucks.

i am inclined to believe we can weather losing markstrom although based purely on stats i am clearly completely wrong. our whole season will turn on whether my gut feeling that demko/holtby will get by is somehow correct.

i am cool with our adds. i am not down on our losses, although i'd like to have seen tanev and stecher stick around.

if wishes were horses we'd have moved some contracts, but it never looked likely.

overall, we have not loaded up with any more long term baggage for short term gain, and there is room for youth to emerge. let's go!

well that aged not very well. goaltending turned out to be the least of our worries.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
While Schmidt was a solid acquisition that fell into our lap he is not an upgrade to the team over Tanev and with the existing prior cap mismanagement on the books that $1.45M difference could have been put to better use, like upgrading Virtanen to Toffoli or keeping Troy Stecher. And of course the right call was made to let Markstrom walk and go with Demko, but the cap savings there that could have been used to acquire a decent 3rd line center was bungled away acquiring the leagues most expensive backup goalie.

In a perfect world where the team didn't sign so many cap wasting contracts we keep the team together and still have space to jump on the Schmidt deal and acquire a 3C. As things were, there was room to keep all but one of our key free agents and still a bit of room for that 3C. With hindsight, which really wasn't hard to see, the optimum path would have been to trade Virtanen, let Markstrom go, resign Toffoli/Tanev/Stecher, sign a reasonably priced back up, and use the remaining cap space to sign a 3C (Mi.Granlund, Eakin, Haula, Brassard, Galchenyuk, Thornton) and maybe making the call to trade Gaudette at the same time. Or between Virtanen/Guadette maybe you can trade for the forward you need rather than going UFA.

Not going to crunch numbers but the ideal lineup should have looked something like:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli
Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Haula*-Leivo/Gaudette
Roussel-Beagle-Motte
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Myers
Juolevi/Rathbone-Stecher
Demko
M.Smith* (let Edmonton sign Holtby)

It's not a world beater team but I'd bet they would have stayed in the hunt for he #4 seed in this Covid season. And while I'm using hindsight a lot of it is pretty damn obvious, the only really hard call was between Markstrom/Demko.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
While Schmidt was a solid acquisition that fell into our lap he is not an upgrade to the team over Tanev and with the existing prior cap mismanagement on the books that $1.45M difference could have been put to better use, like upgrading Virtanen to Toffoli or keeping Troy Stecher. And of course the right call was made to let Markstrom walk and go with Demko, but the cap savings there that could have been used to acquire a decent 3rd line center was bungled away acquiring the leagues most expensive backup goalie.

In a perfect world where the team didn't sign so many cap wasting contracts we keep the team together and still have space to jump on the Schmidt deal and acquire a 3C. As things were, there was room to keep all but one of our key free agents and still a bit of room for that 3C. With hindsight, which really wasn't hard to see, the optimum path would have been to trade Virtanen, let Markstrom go, resign Toffoli/Tanev/Stecher, sign a reasonably priced back up, and use the remaining cap space to sign a 3C (Mi.Granlund, Eakin, Haula, Brassard, Galchenyuk, Thornton) and maybe making the call to trade Gaudette at the same time. Or between Virtanen/Guadette maybe you can trade for the forward you need rather than going UFA.

Not going to crunch numbers but the ideal lineup should have looked something like:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli
Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Haula*-Leivo/Gaudette
Roussel-Beagle-Motte
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Myers
Juolevi/Rathbone-Stecher
Demko
M.Smith* (let Edmonton sign Holtby)

It's not a world beater team but I'd bet they would have stayed in the hunt for he #4 seed in this Covid season. And while I'm using hindsight a lot of it is pretty damn obvious, the only really hard call was between Markstrom/Demko.
There wasn’t even a cap savings in net. Holtby is more expensive this season than Markstrom was last year. So ultimately the goaltending got worse and more expensive.

The positive is Holtby’s contract is buyout friendly.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
This season rivals 2016 for overall organizational incompetence, no doubt. Anyone left on the Benning bandwagon or saying he is learning from his mistakes will just never get it.

Going back to the trade deadline last season, the Canucks have hit rock-bottom.
  • Trading a 2nd and Madden for 17 games of Toffoli.
  • Letting Toffoli walk without any contact even though he was vocal about wanting to stay. Signing Virtanen instead.
  • Having Toffoli sign a very reasonable deal in Montreal, place top 5 in goals league wide, and torch the Canucks all season.
  • Signing Holtby to an inflated, multi-year contract after coming off a season being arguably the worst starter in the league.
  • Letting loyal players in Tanev and Stetcher walk after letting them twist in the wind with no contact from the Canucks.
  • Having players publically discuss their disappointment surrounding the off-season moves.
  • Chasing one of the worst contracts in the league in OEL which was reported to include this year's first round pick which would have been a total disaster. Luckily, Benning was saved from himself.
  • Not picking until the 4th round of the draft with an already thin prospect pool.
  • Having one of the worst starts in the league requiring Aquilini to go public to end speculation surrounding Benning's termination.
  • Benning's bizarre, incoherent press conference stating he 'Ran out of time' and is 'Living day-to-day'. Claiming the teams is 2 years away from being a Stanley Cup contender (lol).
  • Pulling Gaudette mid-practice with a positive Covid result and continuing to finish the practice.
  • Having the roster ravaged by Covid as bad as any team in North American professional sports.
  • Complete silence from Canucks management and Ownership on the NHL plans for rescheduling forcing player JT Miller to go public voicing his concerns.
  • Trading Gaudette at his lowest value for virtually no return after not playing him in a position to succeed to increase his value.
  • Signing Pearson to a multi-year extension after a calendar year of replacement level play rather than returning some value to the team at the deadline. Giving Pearson verbal confirmation he will be protected in the expansion draft.
  • Trading Benn and collectively downgrading our 4th round pick to a 5th and 6th. No real positive gain at the deadline which has become par for the course over the past 7 years.
  • Silence in response to the Virtanen allegations forcing lame-duck Green to answer to the media.
  • Once again having tens of millions of dollars in wasted cap space not even on the roster including the Taxi squad, Utica, LTIR and cap penalties.
  • Finishing as one of the worst teams in the league yet again and likely last place in the Northern Division.
This is all just off the top of my head. I am sure there is more garbage sprinkled in there.

The Covid stoppage last spring also saved what could have been a slide out of the playoffs leaving no first round pick this season. Markstrom and Tanev had gone down for the remainder of the season and they were starting to get into a funk. Imagine playing out this season without a lottery pick to show for it?

Also, Schmidt falling in his lap prevented an already thin back-end from being a total disaster. Schmidt has not played up to his contract this season however the Blueline would be very ugly if he was not on the team.

Crazy to see just how much rope Benning has been given. Any other reasonably competent organization would have sacked Benning years ago. To add insult to injury we have the local media going to bat for the team every single day telling us how rosey everything is.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I didn’t hate the off season except for letting Toffoli walk. That would have vastly improved our top 6.
The real mistakes weren’t made this off season but a few years ago when Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel, Baertschi, Sutter etc. were signed. Those moves pretty much guaranteed that we were going to lose Tanev and Markstrom. The flat cap just made the off season even worse.

Reactions: Get North

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This season rivals 2016 for overall organizational incompetence, no doubt. Anyone left on the Benning bandwagon or saying he is learning from his mistakes will just never get it.

• Letting Toffoli walk without any contact even though he was vocal about wanting to stay. Signing Virtanen instead.
  • Having Toffoli sign a very reasonable deal in Montreal, place top 5 in goals league wide, and torch the Canucks all season.
  • Signing Holtby to an inflated, multi-year contract after coming off a season being arguably the worst starter in the league.
  • Letting loyal players in Tanev and Stetcher walk after letting them twist in the wind with no contact from the Canucks.
  • Having players publically discuss their disappointment surrounding the off-season moves.
  • Chasing one of the worst contracts in the league in OEL which was reported to include this year's first round pick which would have been a total disaster. Luckily, Benning was saved from himself.
  • Not picking until the 4th round of the draft with an already thin prospect pool.
  • Having one of the worst starts in the league requiring Aquilini to go public to end speculation surrounding Benning's termination.
  • Benning's bizarre, incoherent press conference stating he 'Ran out of time' and is 'Living day-to-day'. Claiming the teams is 2 years away from being a Stanley Cup contender (lol).
  • Pulling Gaudette mid-practice with a positive Covid result and continuing to finish the practice.
  • Having the roster ravaged by Covid as bad as any team in North American professional sports.
  • Complete silence from Canucks management and Ownership on the NHL plans for rescheduling forcing player JT Miller to go public voicing his concerns.
  • Trading Gaudette at his lowest value for virtually no return after not playing him in a position to succeed to increase his value.
  • Signing Pearson to a multi-year extension after a calendar year of replacement level play rather than returning some value to the team at the deadline. Giving Pearson verbal confirmation he will be protected in the expansion draft.
  • Trading Benn and collectively downgrading our 4th round pick to a 5th and 6th. No real positive gain at the deadline which has become par for the course over the past 7 years.
  • Silence in response to the Virtanen allegations forcing lame-duck Green to answer to the media.
  • Once again having tens of millions of dollars in wasted cap space not even on the roster including the Taxi squad, Utica, LTIR and cap penalties.
  • Finishing as one of the worst teams in the league yet again and likely last place in the Northern Division.
This is all just off the top of my head. I am sure there is more garbage sprinkled in there.

The Covid stoppage last spring also saved what could have been a slide out of the playoffs leaving no first round pick this season. Markstrom and Tanev had gone down for the remainder of the season and they were starting to get into a funk. Imagine playing out this season without a lottery pick to show for it?

Also, Schmidt falling in his lap prevented an already thin back-end from being a total disaster. Schmidt has not played up to his contract this season however the Blueline would be very ugly if he was not on the team.

Crazy to see just how much rope Benning has been given. Any other reasonably competent organization would have sacked Benning years ago. To add insult to injury we have the local media going to bat for the team every single day telling us how rosey everything is.

Now, multiply this by 7 to get a general sense of the scope and scale of Benning's tenure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I didn’t hate the off season except for letting Toffoli walk. That would have vastly improved our top 6.
The real mistakes weren’t made this off season but a few years ago when Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel, Baertschi, Sutter etc. were signed. Those moves pretty much guaranteed that we were going to lose Tanev and Markstrom. The flat cap just made the off season even worse.
He kept adding without ever getting rid of anyone.

believed too much in Jake and not enough in thatcher. Moving off Jake and going with a cheaper backup would have been enough to afford TT.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

• Trading a 2nd and Madden for 17 games of Toffoli...Value seems right for a TDL deal
  • Letting Toffoli walk without any contact even though he was vocal about wanting to stay. Signing Virtanen instead...Poor move by Benning
  • Having Toffoli sign a very reasonable deal in Montreal, place top 5 in goals league wide, and torch the Canucks all season....Benning let Toffoli walk, enough said ,who he signed with is nothing to do with him.
  • Signing Holtby to an inflated, multi-year contract after coming off a season being arguably the worst starter in the league...Holtby improved considerably around the covid break..had a better save % than Demko at one point..He's not washed up.
  • Letting loyal players in Tanev and Stetcher walk after letting them twist in the wind with no contact from the Canucks...I understand not wanting to sign often injured Tanev..Stecher isnt a big loss..imo
  • Having players publically discuss their disappointment surrounding the off-season moves...Thats pro hockey.Players move on
  • Chasing one of the worst contracts in the league in OEL which was reported to include this year's first round pick which would have been a total disaster. Luckily, Benning was saved from himself...Wasnt eriksson supposed to be going the other way?
  • Not picking until the 4th round of the draft with an already thin prospect pool...We got JT Miller for a 20th OA, and Toffoli that was squandered.
  • Having one of the worst starts in the league requiring Aquilini to go public to end speculation surrounding Benning's termination...This wouldnt happen in hockey crazy Toronto or Montreal..?
  • Benning's bizarre, incoherent press conference stating he 'Ran out of time' and is 'Living day-to-day'. Claiming the teams is 2 years away from being a Stanley Cup contender (lol)...Benning doesnt always have a way with words
  • Pulling Gaudette mid-practice with a positive Covid result and continuing to finish the practice...Didnt they follow NHL protocol?
  • Having the roster ravaged by Covid as bad as any team in North American professional sports...This is Bennings fault..?..Come on
  • Complete silence from Canucks management and Ownership on the NHL plans for rescheduling forcing player JT Miller to go public voicing his concerns...He was forced?
  • Trading Gaudette at his lowest value for virtually no return after not playing him in a position to succeed to increase his value...Highmore is playing better...early days on this trade.
  • Signing Pearson to a multi-year extension after a calendar year of replacement level play rather than returning some value to the team at the deadline. Giving Pearson verbal confirmation he will be protected in the expansion draft..He was coming off a high ankle sprain earlier in the season..He may get 20 goals next season.
  • Trading Benn and collectively downgrading our 4th round pick to a 5th and 6th. No real positive gain at the deadline which has become par for the course over the past 7 years...barely moves the needle
  • Silence in response to the Virtanen allegations forcing lame-duck Green to answer to the media..All anybody could say (probably for legal reasons), was 'no comment..did you need Aqua or JB to say that?
  • Once again having tens of millions of dollars in wasted cap space not even on the roster including the Taxi squad, Utica, LTIR and cap penalties...This is why Benning is on the hot seat.
  • Finishing as one of the worst teams in the league yet again and likely last place in the Northern Division...Disappointing season, they were almost at .500 before covid..Covid fatigue will obviously affect their point totals at the end of the year

Reactions: Paulinbc

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I still can't get past the sad fact that if the Canucks hadn't gone out and signed Holtby and then re-signed Virtanen, there'd have been plenty of money to bring back both Tanev and Tofoli.

Now if that doesn't give you heartburn heading into a long off-season, then your stomach is made of cast-iron.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Pretty nice summary.

Just this week you can add calling up players and not being able to play them because they didn't keep track of callup limits and being bullied by St. Louis out of starting our prospect goalie on our farm team that we own.

Total disaster. And the 7th total disaster in a row.

Reactions: geebaan

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I still can't get past the sad fact that if the Canucks hadn't gone out and signed Holtby and then re-signed Virtanen, there'd have been plenty of money to bring back both Tanev and Tofoli.

Now if that doesn't give you heartburn heading into a long off-season, then your stomach is made of cast-iron.
This last offseason is pretty epic in terms of how bad they screwed it up.
It’s like somebody decided to get a haircut and ended up committing seppuku.
In one off seasons we downgraded our offense, defense and goaltending and added 2 more inefficient contract. Truly impressive shit.
Like simply extending Toffoli, keeping Stecher and spending league min on a backup and we would be in a better state.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
  • Trading a 2nd and Madden for 17 games of Toffoli...Value seems right for a TDL deal
  • Letting Toffoli walk without any contact even though he was vocal about wanting to stay. Signing Virtanen instead...Poor move by Benning
  • Having Toffoli sign a very reasonable deal in Montreal, place top 5 in goals league wide, and torch the Canucks all season....Benning let Toffoli walk, enough said ,who he signed with is nothing to do with him.
  • Signing Holtby to an inflated, multi-year contract after coming off a season being arguably the worst starter in the league...Holtby improved considerably around the covid break..had a better save % than Demko at one point..He's not washed up.
  • Letting loyal players in Tanev and Stetcher walk after letting them twist in the wind with no contact from the Canucks...I understand not wanting to sign often injured Tanev..Stecher isnt a big loss..imo
  • Having players publically discuss their disappointment surrounding the off-season moves...Thats pro hockey.Players move on
  • Chasing one of the worst contracts in the league in OEL which was reported to include this year's first round pick which would have been a total disaster. Luckily, Benning was saved from himself...Wasnt eriksson supposed to be going the other way?
  • Not picking until the 4th round of the draft with an already thin prospect pool...We got JT Miller for a 20th OA, and Toffoli that was squandered.
  • Having one of the worst starts in the league requiring Aquilini to go public to end speculation surrounding Benning's termination...This wouldnt happen in hockey crazy Toronto or Montreal..?
  • Benning's bizarre, incoherent press conference stating he 'Ran out of time' and is 'Living day-to-day'. Claiming the teams is 2 years away from being a Stanley Cup contender (lol)...Benning doesnt always have a way with words
  • Pulling Gaudette mid-practice with a positive Covid result and continuing to finish the practice...Didnt they follow NHL protocol?
  • Having the roster ravaged by Covid as bad as any team in North American professional sports...This is Bennings fault..?..Come on
  • Complete silence from Canucks management and Ownership on the NHL plans for rescheduling forcing player JT Miller to go public voicing his concerns...He was forced?
  • Trading Gaudette at his lowest value for virtually no return after not playing him in a position to succeed to increase his value...Highmore is playing better...early days on this trade.
  • Signing Pearson to a multi-year extension after a calendar year of replacement level play rather than returning some value to the team at the deadline. Giving Pearson verbal confirmation he will be protected in the expansion draft..He was coming off a high ankle sprain earlier in the season..He may get 20 goals next season.
  • Trading Benn and collectively downgrading our 4th round pick to a 5th and 6th. No real positive gain at the deadline which has become par for the course over the past 7 years...barely moves the needle
  • Silence in response to the Virtanen allegations forcing lame-duck Green to answer to the media..All anybody could say (probably for legal reasons), was 'no comment..did you need Aqua or JB to say that?
  • Once again having tens of millions of dollars in wasted cap space not even on the roster including the Taxi squad, Utica, LTIR and cap penalties...This is why Benning is on the hot seat.
  • Finishing as one of the worst teams in the league yet again and likely last place in the Northern Division...Disappointing season, they were almost at .500 before covid..Covid fatigue will obviously affect their point totals at the end of the year

@Pastor Of Muppetz can you google “narcissist prayer” for me real quick?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Even if so, OELs contract costs 2.5m/y more for additional 5 years.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

wtk9y.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->