Grade your GM

Discussion in 'Dallas Stars' started by gentleman scholar, Feb 24, 2020.

?

What grade would you give Nill?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2020.
  1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

5.1%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

10.3%
  5. B

41.0%
  6. B-

15.4%
  7. C+

12.8%
  8. C

5.1%
  9. C-

5.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

2.6%
  1. BigG44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Don't sleep on 2015 ... that's turning into a pretty important draft as well. It's not just Hintz and Gurianov. Cecconi is the only other player left from that draft, but he has pretty good potential. He plays a similar game to Stephen Johns, and he's always been a guy that succeeded playing with high end defensive partners (Werenski and Quinn/U of Michigan). He's on Texas' top shutdown pair right now as a rookie. You have Lindell-Klingberg and it's starting to look like you have something in Heiskanen-Johns (honestly could be better than the first). There's definitely some potential for a Harley-Cecconi pair.

One or both of Gardner and Caamano could salvage the 2016 draft, but that overall is not great year.

LatvianTwist likes this.
  2. Smelling Salt Busey is life

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    2015 will always be sullied for me by not picking Connor/Barzal/Chabot. Guri is having a nice year, but he's gonna need to become an automatic 30 goal man to make up for that. But you're right, it's not bad even with Guri only becoming a 20 goal dude and Hintz doing the same.

Cecconi I really don't understand the hype by some. Seems like a dime a dozen NCAA player. I have zero expectations.

LatvianTwist likes this.
  3. FirstRowUpperDeck Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Seems like he does better in odd number years. And, with so few picks this year, 2020 probably won't be a banner year for Stars drafting.

It did seem that the scouts got enamored with speed and size with the Tufte and Guri picks (Hintz, too, who was a great second round value, many had him ranked first round, not unlike Robertson now). While I get the speed and size, I think its important to pick players who actually have used those skills to produce points at lower levels. Seems like he has learned his lessons?

4. Bfantz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You forgot about the rule where you have to add something at the deadline regardless of how set your roster was at the start of the year .

gentleman scholar likes this.