Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Interesting to see how some of the players are doing since the trade. Just some of the forward names that were tossed around and how they are doing as we come close to the end of the regular season:
Donato- 16 points
Hayes- 11
Stone- 10
Hagelin- 10
Dzingel- 9
Nyquist- 8
Fiala- 7
Hatman- 5
Coyle-5
Granlund-4
Brassard-4
Spooner-3
Simmonds-2
Johansson-1
Can make this post about any team

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Interesting to see how some of the players are doing since the trade. Just some of the forward names that were tossed around and how they are doing as we come close to the end of the regular season:
Donato- 16 points
Hayes- 11
Stone- 10
Hagelin- 10
Dzingel- 9
Nyquist- 8
Fiala- 7
Hatman- 5
Coyle-5
Granlund-4
Brassard-4
Spooner-3
Simmonds-2
Johansson-1
Interesting. Nothing matters to me, though, except how the newly acquired players perform in the playoffs since that is the reason most of these players were brought in by their respective teams.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not trying to make an excuses although I`m sure some will think otherwise but are we yet in a position to assess this yet with Mojo being out and this team really not able to establish a healthy enough lineup for Butch to push the acquired players into a role, with the players he envisions playing alongside them?

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Absolutely. I have never gotten the rear view mirror approach. Once someone goes, see ya.

I get the short term analysis after a deal/signing/draft is done but still driving an agenda years later, to me, seems absurd. Talent/systems/styles, from team to team, varies considerably - so should the results.

You're in a thread about grading the Bruins deadline and don't understand why people are talking about the players the Bruins traded away?

Reactions: Agent86

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
not trying to make an excuses although I`m sure some will think otherwise but are we yet in a position to assess this yet with Mojo being out and this team really not able to establish a healthy enough lineup for Butch to push the acquired players into a role, with the players he envisions playing alongside them?

Yes we can bc we acquired an injury prone player who unfortunately got injured and has to make his way back from that. Johannson doesnt need to take any more big hits like that.

Reactions: Strafer

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think it might point out that Haggs was wanting Simmonds really bad and he has not excelled on his new team as of yet. Brassard was not much of an upgrade as some had thought about acquiring him. Dzingel and Nyquist have been good acquisitions for their teams.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think it might point out that Haggs was wanting Simmonds really bad and he has not excelled on his new team as of yet. Brassard was not much of an upgrade as some had thought about acquiring him. Dzingel and Nyquist have been good acquisitions for their teams.
I stopped reading when you brought up Haggs

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Donato wasn’t doing anything here this year neither guy has been great but playoffs is all that matters and I’m glad we have 2 more legit forwards injuries can make you think quickly. And the prospects simply have been poor when given a shot this year Donato being the main let down.

Clifton could end up being the real deadline addition. I sure hope he doesn’t sit for Gryzlyck.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Coyle's looking real solid as a third line center. Hated to see Donato go but I understand the reasoning.
Mojo so far has looked like a better healthy scratch option than Nordstrom, so that particular deal seems underwhelming at this point. But small sample size.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Coyle's looking real solid as a third line center. Hated to see Donato go but I understand the reasoning.
Mojo so far has looked like a better healthy scratch option than Nordstrom, so that particular deal seems underwhelming at this point. But small sample size.

I guess they'll be no real answer until we see what they bring next week when the real season starts.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I really like the Coyle trade. He's done wonders stabilizing the third line. Jury is still out on Johansson deal, he hasn't been able to show his stuff.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Great point by Cassidy on Coyle being a righty. In hindsight they might have been better trading for a lefty center since now with Kuraly out they are going into playoffs with no left draw-men.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Coyle has 3 goals and two assists in 18 games. He's also -2

Johansson has no goals and 1 assist in 7 games. He is also -2

I hate to say it, but it looks like the deadline moves haven't panned out too well.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Coyle has 3 goals and two assists in 18 games. He's also -2

Johansson has no goals and 1 assist in 7 games. He is also -2

I hate to say it, but it looks like the deadline moves haven't panned out too well.

thats because you probably think the deadline moves were made for the regular season???

I think it would mean more if we passed judgement after the playoffs

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Great point by Cassidy on Coyle being a righty. In hindsight they might have been better trading for a lefty center since now with Kuraly out they are going into playoffs with no left draw-men.

crunching numbers on faceoffs... we see a good faceoff guy wins around 55% at most... and the crappiest guys win around 45% and a great number of guys are between 49% and 51%

when you calculate how many faceoffs a guy might take in a typical game and say most guys take less than 20 on average... and you realize that many faceoffs are not won cleanly and become scrums... then the number of times it really matters if you have a good faceoff guy/or a bad faceoff guy is far far far less significant then whether you have a good zone entry guy or a good zone clearance guy

sure we all see those 10-12 times a year a goal gets scored off a faceoff... so what? around once every 400 faceoffs a team might score because they cleanly won a faceoff? does that sound about right?

is this really a real thing that people really should be spending real time giving real concern too?

I bet the stats on getting scored on by bad penalties is way way way higher.

ive seen soooooooooooooo many games where the team that dominated in the faceoff circle got beat absolutely spanked on the score sheet. I know it sounds smart to talk about faceoffs and their impact on a game but ive never seen anyone successfully tie faceoffs to zone time or corsi or cupey or whatever they call their fancy stats.

when it all averages out... a guy takes around 20 faceoffs a night and wins around 51% and loses around 49% and the next guy on the bench wins around 49% and loses around 51% and the difference is one guy wins 11 and loses 9 and the other guy wins 9 and loses 11 every 4th or 5th night and over the span of a season one guy might have lost 3-4 important faceoffs the other guy wouldnt have lost

ultimately I give a lot of credit to the wingers for winning/losing faceoffs because when im watching the game many faceoffs are tied up by the 2 centers and its a winger that will dig the puck free and actually make a play

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

a big right-shot RW is very high on the wish list for the prospect pool, but i've been hoping they'd draft a top 6 lefty center
for a few years now. maybe this is the year. seems like their entire organization is full of righty centers.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Really
thats because you probably think the deadline moves were made for the regular season???

I think it would mean more if we passed judgement after the playoffs
really? Donato should have been moved with one of our Providence left d men for a bigger return. We needed a #2 RW and failed big time. Coyle is brutal. Ya he is a upgrade but really that wasn’t hard to do. We needed a REAL upgrade. I like Sweeney but he dropped the ball at the dead line. Time will tell but I don’t think this team gets by Tampa. If we went for it and got a real RW and #3 center we would have a great chance to bring Stanley home.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Sweeney inherited a team that most here said was in shambles
and now we are 3rd place in league standings... we won a playoff round last year

im sorry but I will probably trust him more then some internet posters here
I hope so. But this is what this form is all about. I read your post you wanted guys like AA just like I did. I like Sweeney but he is afraid to trade his prospects The time was this year to make the all in deals and he didn’t . Look at Yzerman last year jt Miller and Ryan McDonagh. Filled his need and traded the rite prospects and the team is better today.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Really

really? Donato should have been moved with one of our Providence left d men for a bigger return. We needed a #2 RW and failed big time. Coyle is brutal. Ya he is a upgrade but really that wasn’t hard to do. We needed a REAL upgrade. I like Sweeney but he dropped the ball at the dead line. Time will tell but I don’t think this team gets by Tampa. If we went for it and got a real RW and #3 center we would have a great chance to bring Stanley home.
There is just so much verbal diarrhea in this post it hurts.

Please tell me what "real" RW was available for Donato and one of the Providence guys not named Vaak.

They had a massive hole at 3C, as in they didn't have an NHL caliber one. Moving a guy you clearly soured on for a proven vet, who has not been brutal by the way, is a deal you make any day.

Coyle never was going to be a guy who came in and lit it up. When he's actually been at center, you know the role they acquired him for, instead of wing, he's been exactly what that line has needed. If you don't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Do I wish he landed a big fish? Of course, but he has the ammo yo do that this summer if he wants to. Which is probably when it happens.

They have a solid team top to bottom, and can absolutely compete with Tampa.

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
There is just so much verbal diarrhea in this post it hurts.

Please tell me what "real" RW was available for Donato and one of the Providence guys not named Vaak.

They had a massive hole at 3C, as in they didn't have an NHL caliber one. Moving a guy you clearly soured on for a proven vet, who has not been brutal by the way, is a deal you make any day.

Coyle never was going to be a guy who came in and lit it up. When he's actually been at center, you know the role they acquired him for, instead of wing, he's been exactly what that line has needed. If you don't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Do I wish he landed a big fish? Of course, but he has the ammo yo do that this summer if he wants to. Which is probably when it happens.

They have a solid team top to bottom, and can absolutely compete with Tampa.
Nhl is loaded with RW no? Didn’t have to be a ufa. Lauzon, little Z on left D. I want to win a cup just as bad as any one. I just don’t think these trades gets us there. You do realize most of our top players aren’t getting any younger. We have a great team. I just think we needed bigger upgrades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad