Grade our 2018 Draft

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
A- : Zadina was the pick you had to make at 6. Elite, elite talent and future 40 goal scorer imo.. love that he hates our division opponents Habs and Sens now for passing him up.. Only an A- because we never drafted a defenseman with our first three picks and top 4 D rarely come in the later rounds (atleast we drafted McIsaac) Overall, very pleased and looking forward to our team next year with our young forwards hopefuly killing it!

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Zadina fell only about three spots, but his offense should be enough to justify taking him over a defender, some of whom were sometimes only ranked a spot or two behind him. If the Wings had taken Zadina with the second over all pick, then I would have disagreed with them, but it's pretty hard to pass on him at sixth. Actually, I'm not sure why he was passed on at fifth. I think he recently showed himself to be a little more of a project than most teams estimated early in the Spring, but I still expected him to go fourth or fifth. I think the Wings just did the obvious thing.

I'm a little bit of two minds about it. You know, they haven't had much of a shot at developing many good defense prospects lately. They will need defense. They may end up trading a forward, like Zadina, for defense somewhere down the line, and because defense tends to be a bit more valuable in trades, I think you'd rather be a team developing and trading defenders, than forwards.

The grade is an "A," though. It's a very bittersweet, weak "A," but still an "A."

Veleno: This guy fell really far if you ask me. Harder to pass on this guy at 30th than to pass on Zadina at 6th, especially since there is a need for a center and defenders available at 30th weren't quite as tempting. So this is another "A." Like Zadina, he's another project, albeit seemingly low risk and you expect a project at 30th.

Bergrenn: It seems to me he was ranked higher than 33rd on relatively a lot of lists. So, I was surprised to find out they had interest in McIsaac but didn't draft him instead of Bergrenn at 33, because McIsaac would have been a more conventional choice at 33rd, according to many prospect rankings. So this is an example of them taking another winger, but this time a winger who is arguably a reach. So they evidently think a lot of Bergrenn.

Picking Bergrenn at 33 probably not only pushed back picking defenders but also their goalie choices by one pick. So, this is a guy they have to get right. Notwithstanding, I wasn't in love with the games of any defender still available at 33. Maybe this is another time when you develop a forward to trade down with for a goalie or defender, which again is not ideal, but maybe it's the right pick under the circumstances. I think it's an "A-" or "B+."

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yea I gave it an A and think we did awesome,as well.

But......as a lions fan I can't help but be a little nervous. Think we all know how many times we won draft day and how it turned out awful.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Zadina- A+. Still can't believe he's ours. He's our biggest game breaking sniper since...? Fedorov?

Veleno- A+. Tremendous value at 30th. With his playmaking abilities, I see him as a solid #2C at worst.

Berggren- A-. Many people would have preferred a D here, but Berggren has a ton of skill, and was allegedly much higher on the Wings list. Should be safe to be a solid 2nd line winger.

McIsaac- A-. A bit of a safe pick, but we need D prospects who will be surefire NHL players. McIsaac may not have as high of a ceiling as some of the other D we passed on, but he's a safe bet to make the NHL.

Regula- B+. This pick made sense due to Regula's background. I had us taking him here in my mock. He's big, he shoots right, I don't know how much offensive upside he has though, but it was a good pick.

Barton- C. I can't comment on the player, I've never heard of him. I think this was a reach though, and we could have got him later.

Eliasson- C-. Same as Barton. Never heard of him, would have probably been around later. I would have much preferred Gravel who went in the 6th.

O'Reilly- B. He's a longterm prospect. Solid USHL numbers, let's see what he can do next year at the U o Denver.

Brattstrom- (?). At this point you are gambling on longshots. Don't know him, he's numbers are impressive though.

Kivenmaki- (?) see Brattstrom.

Overall: A. Unbelievable to walk away with Zadina and Veleno. Some strange picks in round 3, but for the most part this was a perfect draft.

Reactions: Larkin1578

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Overall I'm very happy with the draft and give it an A-
Here's my opinion on every pick:

Zadina: A+ I think he'll be a star for us. Very high upside, high skill player. Awesome pick, the only real issue is our lack of D. He can do it all and is just a great choice. Can't wait to watch him dangle through two defenders before ripping a wrister by the goalie.

Veleno: A, I'm really happy with him at 30. He's going to be a 2C IMO. Still need D but you can't pass on BPA. He'll bring great speed and playmaking. He's got high-end vision, and is responsible all over the ice. Very high floor, and a decent ceiling. He's the type of center we lacked with his superb vision and playmaking.

Berggren: A+, I'm really high on Berggren. Once again we needed D, but Berggren was BPA. Ton of speed, hard-working and a skilled player. He'll be a solid top 6 forward for us. High floor and high ceiling. More than any other player in the draft, he'd steal my attention when I watched other prospects play. He finds a way to impact the game every time he steps on the ice.

McIsaac: B-, we needed D but I don't think McIsaac was the best available. He's a safe choice to play and round out our group of Hronek, Cholowski, and Saarijarvi well. We still need a leader on the back end, but McIsaac brings good speed, physicality and inconsistent offence. Solid but not great choice.

Regula: C+, similar to McIsaac I think there were better players available, but he's a solid choice. Great size and some untapped potential, but I don't see high end upside.

Barton: C+, don't know much about him, but he had a decent season in the BCHL. I think there were better players available but he could be a hidden gem.

Eliasson: B-, he's an unknown Hakan goalie. Wings usually do well with those, but there's nothing to go on with him. I'm fine with it.

ROR: B-, solid pick, great name and I think he has good upside for a pick this late. Strong and has some skill. I guess he's a pretty bad skater

Brattstrom: B, overager goalie that's been putting up solid numbers. He's huge. I like the pick.

Otto Kivenmaki: B+, tiny, skilled speedster. Exactly the type of player worth throwing a late-round flyer on. Probably turns into nothing, but he could be good.

Overall I'm very very happy with our first two rounds. I don't like our middle picks and think we didn't do well identifying the high potential D available. Then we finished the draft well throwing flyers at guys with some potential. I give this draft an A- overall. We really need to get a leader on defense somehow and we put that off again. I feel great about our forward group from here on out. We could still use a star 1C, but that's more of a luxury than a necessity at this point. A 1D remains a necessity.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let'se see:

- Added the highest skill prospect we've had in decades?
- Added a couple of high-skill forward projects?
- Added Larkin-esque prospect at great value draft position?
- Added a couple of defensive prospect with promise?
- Addressed goaltending depth?
- Turned a 6th into a 5th next year?

It takes years to know if a draft was good or bad, but the early impression is A+.

We've drafted 15 D-men in the last 4 drafts. On top of that we've picked up free agents like Hicketts and Sulak and veterans like Green and Daley.
Drafting a hundred players in the later rounds doesn't mean a thing if none of them every pan out. This franchise has a better chance at winning the lottery 10 years in a row than in finding the next top pair defenseman outside the first round.

Passing up the opportunity to grab a top 3 level talent out of desperation for d-men would have been a huge mistake.

Trading up to grab Bouchard or Dobson would have been a nice fantasy. But ask Edmonton and Islander fans if they feel they need help on defense? They are arguably more desperate than even we are. But maybe we could have trade up with other teams?

- Chicago? Desperate for help on D.
- Vancouver? In just as bad a situation as us with their rebuild, zero way they move down to 30 without getting Larkin+Hronek+Cholowski.
- NYR? Same as Nucks.

The only trade-up possibilities were in the 20s. And there the question becomes; were any of those prospects significantly better than what we already have? Significantly better than McIsaac? Better value on their own than Veleno+McIsaac?
By that logic, you're saying Zadina by himself is worth more than Wahlstrom and Dobson put together? Not a chance, and I say that as a fan of Zadina.

Taking Filip at 3 is fine...as long as you now say, ok, it's all aboard the D train going forward. Had they taken Wilde and either Addison or Tychonick to go with McIsaac, I would've been thrilled. Then use the rest of the draft for whatever players you like, regardless of position.

With how one-sided the team building continues to be with their most valuable picks, it feels like they're trying to recreate the 80's Oilers, and winning 6-5 hockey games might be fun to watch in October, but it's a great way to be golfing in May and June.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Overall: A-
Like all of our first 5 picks in a vaccum, but we didn’t address the need. I like Berggren, think he can be a steal, but I would be more happy with another defenseman. Still, at the end of the day this is the happiest I’ve been post draft since... well, I can’t remember any, and neutral fans seem to agree.

Pick by pick

Zadina: A+: got what many people thought to be the third BP at 6. I loved Hughes and Dobson’s game, but I will never fault a gm for going BPA.

Veleno: A. Similar to Zadina, it would be hard to justify passing him up. I personally think his lack of top end skill concerns is due to raised expectations due to him being a phenom as a preteen. He still had better numbers than many playes drafted ahead of him. I was debating the idea of trading AA and our 30th to the Islanders for one of their picks to get him.... and we got him at 30th. I’ll take the average of Darren Helm/Larkin there any day of the week.

Berg B. torn on this pick. On one hand many posters I respect had him in the teens, telling me we have a potential steal. On the other hand he probably makes the NHL as a winger, and is small. I would have preferred a dman, or even Akil Thomas, but I trust Hakan to not make judgement yet. He could be a top 5 player in a redraft in 8 years.

McIssac: B+ pick. Got a guy a lot had ranked in the early 20ths at 36. Seems like a stable, safe pick.

Regula: nice risk to take at that spot. Project, but many people consider him a potential sleeper.

Know little of the rest of the drafts, but if 3/5 of the above can become quality NHLers, it still will be the best draft in probably over a decade

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would grade this A-.

First talent drop was after TOP2 picks. They got a TOP4 player with a 6 overall.

Second talent drop was after TOP12 picks. They got ~15 ranked Veleno at #30 overall.

Third talent drop was after 33.pick. They got the another better piece left (Berggren) just before the talent drop.

McIsaac didn't have any negatives or positives in value. He was taken where he should be.

Then the tactic changed and they started hunting reaches with area scouts. Different tactics and smaller proablitities in general. Means much less in big picture. Succeeding with those first 3 picks was a HUGE PLUS for this draft. The biggest value was got in there, with a less pick value than the player value was. Everything after that were minor things.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
By that logic, you're saying Zadina by himself is worth more than Wahlstrom and Dobson put together? Not a chance, and I say that as a fan of Zadina.

Taking Filip at 3 is fine...as long as you now say, ok, it's all aboard the D train going forward. Had they taken Wilde and either Addison or Tychonick to go with McIsaac, I would've been thrilled. Then use the rest of the draft for whatever players you like, regardless of position.

With how one-sided the team building continues to be with their most valuable picks, it feels like they're trying to recreate the 80's Oilers, and winning 6-5 hockey games might be fun to watch in October, but it's a great way to be golfing in May and June.
Sorry if I'm slow, how am I saying Zadina is worth more than Wahlstrom+Dobson? I'm saying Isles wouldn't have wanted to trade a pick that became Dobson because they are desperate for D help.

Oh, and I disagree that the team-building has been one sided. 8 d-men taken in the top 3 rounds the last 4 drafts. That's 8 out of 16 picks. D-men take a long time to develop though. If you think Wilde, Addison or Tychonick can become top pairing D, I don't know why you can't see Cholo, Hronek, Lindstrom or someone else doing it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think the draft was a success

A-

Zadina off the charts good

Valeno should gave been taken about 10 spots higher

Bergeron I think is going to be the steal of the draft.

McIssac will be a reliable top four blueliner

I wish holland would have packaged two of our third rounders to get another second and perhaps land anorher dman but oh well

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Veleno- A+. Tremendous value at 30th. With his playmaking abilities, I see him as a solid #2C at worst.

I guess you know something that every team that passed on him didn't. People are going over the top for this pick, but, there is a reason he fell as far as he did. So to say he's a #2 C at worst means that every pick before him had to be a near lock for first line/first pairing.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd give it a solid B maybe a B+ if i'm feeling generous

bit upset about not getting a Defenseman at #6 but at the same time it's tough to be upset about taking the guy I thought was the 3rd best player in the draft

after that,I really wanted to trade up and grab a Defenseman when they were falling but also understand that there's no way of knowing whether that was ever even on the table as an option

Veleno i'm ultimately okay with as well,pretty good player for 30th and as someone that has doubts whether Rasmussen will even be a Center in the NHL I suppose they could use a guy like him to shore up the depth there going forward as well

second round I have issues with

Wings needed to make multiple Defenseman picks here after taking Zadina and Veleno,at this point I don't care how good Berggren is it just wasn't enough to not take a Defenseman instead given the way the rest of the draft went full stop

don't like the McIsaac pick,I just don't see the upside there and there's at least a few guys that were still around i'd have taken over him

really disappointed there was no trade up for an extra second to grab another defenseman,no weaseling out of this one with a "may not have ever been on the table" like the other trade up I wanted,this wasn't an early first it was a mid second those are always on the table

I like the Regula pick

after that I don't really know enough about any of these guys to have an opinion yet

all in all,definitely a huge improvement from last years "F"

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
i really think it is a good question to ask whether people would swap our draft with the islanders draft. Think if you look at the top 3 picks both could have done well, think detroit wins the elite one with zadina>wahl, but man getting wahl and dobson had to be something they didnt think would happen. Either could have gone top 5 and not been a pick that would be surprising. If wilde pans out they got a good trio of players there for sure. Can't say i really know enough about veleno/berg to really compare/complain, but very impressed with isles draft.

Reactions: jkutswings

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Addison,Wilde,Tychonic,Durzi

really not a fan of the McIssac pick at all

I'll admit, would have preferred Wilde but theres gotta be a reason so many teams passed on a guy who probably should have gone mid 1st. That said, McIssac seems to be the safer choice compared to your other three D-men listed and also was ranked much higher than the other three. I don't think we were in "high risk/high reward" position at 36th and needing a defenseman.....we needed a safe one where we are pretty sure we can plug in the mix within the next few years.

Also, +1 that Zadina and McIssac seem pretty close......might help with development and even on ice chemistry.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Its sounds like a great draft, however a high level D prospect would have been needed, no? I mean a top ten pick D man.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
What can we take out of the draft?
#6 - Filip Zadina - LW
- Just couldn't pass up on him when he fell there. It's a BPA-choice. Scoring winger, absolute need. Possible future 1 LW.

#30 Joseph Veleno - C
- Not a sexy pick, but if Larkin and Rasmussen keep their development going we got a possible 1-2 punch at center with winger-possibilities in Rasmussen. I'd be happy if Veleno develop into a middle six center. Good 2C/Great 3C. Sort of like Filppula in his time here.

#33 Jonatan Berggren - RW
- From what I've seen of his highlights and what I have read, he feels a little bit like a Loui Eriksson type of player. Just less playmaking and more getting around players and shooting in "one movement", so more of a finisher. Absolutely and interesting player, would be happy with him being a 2nd/3rd line winger with potential of 1st line.

#36 Jared McIsaac - D
- Seems to me like a defensive defenseman with the possibility to be more of an all-rounder. Not the sexy offensive defenseman that the team has drafted before, but looks to be a player that really have chance to get into the NHL and be a solid defenseman. Probably not a 2nd D-man, but very good 4th D-man.

#67 Alec Regula - D
- Regula also seems to be a 2nd pairing defenseman at best. But also a solid pick, and seems like a guy who can make it to the big show.

So I was really satisfied with the first five picks selected. Not sure about the rest, I see Ryan O'Reilly (RW) was ranked all over the place, but enjoyed that we selected a little bit older goalie (Victor Brattstrom) from Sweden. Not sure about Seth Barton (D), Jesper Eliasson (G) and Otto Kivenmaki (C).

Overall: A

Only "negative" one can say is that one could have/should have drafted one of the most talked about D-men which probably was the intention. Traded up to get an impact guy on D was a real need. Question is how realistic it would have been to get a higher pick there to get one.

Open to putting Svechnikov in a package for a solid D-prospect who can be an impact player.

Possible team:

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - Rasmussen - Svechnikov
Athanasiou - Veleno - Berggren
? - ? - G.Smith
(Turgeon, Holmstrom, etc)

Cholowski - Hronek
McIsaac - Lindstrom
Hicketts - Regula
Kotkansalo - Saarijarvi

Goalies who knows...

Last edited:

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
During the draft coverage, McKenzie and Button came right out and said things like, "after Dahlin and Svechnikov, the next 8 prospects are very close" and, "starting around 15, everything is wide open". Meaning, that the rankings are very fluid, and are far from a clear delineation.

So while I can understand thinking that selecting "the number 32 guy" at 40 could seem like a great value, it's not like 8 slots is a world of difference.

I say that, because I care a lot less about the number next to a prospect's name, than what skill set a guy has, and how beneficial that skill set is to building a championship roster.

So I give this draft a C-.

Zadina should be an awesome scoring forward. He still wasn't my first choice at 6, but I can understand it, and can't really be mad at taking a very good player.

But by the time I saw Veleno's name at 30, I wanted to throw something though the TV screen.

Bouchard fell to 10 and Dobson fell to 12, and I would've traded an arm and a leg to move up for either. Or moved up a few picks to take either Miller or Sandin. Or taken Wilde or Alexeeyev at 30. But no, they took 3 forwards out of their first 4 picks.

I'm not saying take a bottom pairing D before a top line forward, but it felt like:
* Defense has been under addressed for several years
* This was the first class in a long time with ample good defensemen, and
* It still went under addressed

And taking a handful of later picks they will likely never see the NHL doesn't make up for using nearly all the worthwhile picks on forwards.

If this were Nashville or Anaheim, I'd be a lot happier with who was taken where, because I'd have worlds more faith that the scouts could uncover an impact defenseman or two later in the draft. But it's not, and Detroits track record works against it.

Hopefully they keep Zadina in Grand Rapids next year, and get another top ten pick (or better) next year...and finally put some real emphasis on defense then.

You keep saying that, but is the current scouting team really responsible for the busts the previous scouting teams have drafted? If not, there is no continuity of a track record until the current prospects prove to be busts, as well.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
A-

Overall it was a great draft.

Negatives: Unable to trade Ouellet, and did not trade AA.

Regarding McIsaac, the team needs some defensive minded defenseman to pair with Hronek.

Regarding the picks after the 3rd round, they are all reaches. We really won't know about those for three years.

Reactions: Henkka

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
3rd-7th I thought the Wings did decent actually.

Regula and Barton are solid mid round picks with upside.

ROR needs to work on his skating mechanics, but has decent get-up.

Both goalies don't have any glaring red flags, and IMO, both have the ability to move quicker up the depth chart.

Kivenmaki? Don't know anything about him other than stats and bio's. Then again, he's a 7th rounder.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
im hoping mcisaac is the defensive foil to one of our top offensive dmen. Perhaps he isn't a "stud" 1st pairing dman, but he could be the more stay at home guy on the first pairing to any future offensive starlet we have there. Islanders are lucky people with getting a top offensive prospect AND one of the top d prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad