Post-Game Talk: Grade Canucks 2013 draft

Cu Culann

Aug 30, 2010
8. Did the best we could with the situation in front of us. Buck up boys, rather have Luongo and Horvat than just Schneider. Besides, McKenzie predicted him to be the steal of the draft, just like he did for Erik Karlsson.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
7.5/10 - Schneider trade knocks my ranking down from 9 to 7.5. I really liked the picks of Horcat, Shinkaruk and Subban. Future looks a lot better, but that Schneider trade doesn't help my ranking.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No it doesn't. It doesn't make it clearly the best decision. If it were clear, you wouldn't see so many posters divided on the issue.

Let me re-phrase. IMO it was clearly the best option. Fans will always dispute any action, doesn't mean there isn't a right and wrong decision. Time will, I believe, bear this out as the right decision.

I've actually made the point on here, confirmed by opendoor and some of my own research, that the 9th overall is the most value any goalie has pulled. The mc79 article, by way of Proto, also affirms this notion.

Which is why I am puzzled when fans feel we should have gotten more. When has a goalie, outside of Patrick Roy 20 years ago, ever yielded more?

One thing about the draft, and it's inherent volatility, is that a player that was ranked high early in the year could range throughout during the year. So what seems like good value initially, could have been the perception of the consensus at a certain point in time, and little else. For instance, Horvat was ranked in the 20's early in the year, and had a great performance to increase his value, but is he a top10 talent? Or is he riser that belies where he should be? Same thing in reverse with Shinkaruk. Both picks make sense, but let's be tempered here in our expectations.

I feel I am tempered in the sense that no draft pick is ever a sure thing. However at the moment, and with all the information available about the players we took, I believe we the outcomes from this draft are likely to benefit the team in the next 2-3 years. Again, it is all I can ask for in terms of a draft.

Lastly, questions about Shinkaruk's upside is why he fell. At the time of the draft, I remarked that I was not surprised that he fell in general. And at 24, he was the clear BPA. Still, I wonder if the Canucks would not have been better served making a different choice, given what was left. A 1way, medium-small, winger could easily be trumped by more solid choices at that spot. Time to see if the reason he fell holds...

Agreed. This pick is eerily similar to JS in 2009 and as you are well aware, I'm not the most optimistic on JS's upside in the NHL (though I acknowledge others are). Time will certainly tell with Shinkaruk but for the time being, I am very happy with the upside that this player holds, should he fulfill his potential. As for wanting Erne or Zykov, the fact that they fell even further into the second round no less has eased my concerns over not selecting them. Hard to criticize a player for falling to 24 but then anguish over missing two players that fell to 33 and 37.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Can you please elaborate

saw a few of his games and I think overall he will top out as a 3rd line player at the nhl level. Shinkaruk is the guy I am high on. Bo has some flaws in his game and if the canucks rush him it will be very bad. They need to take the Shroeder approach (but not taking 5years though to get him into the NHL) I think Bo will and should go back to Junior for atleast one more year before fans start having him in the line up.

As for this topic. Way too early to tell

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
Happy with both first round picks they where guys that I hoped van would of landed out of 3 realistic choices in my mind.
Not sure how I feel about 3rd pick couple of guys they should of grabbed instead but hopefully cassels turns heads.
Subban just might be diamond of pick at 5th

give draft 8

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Kanzig_Keegan%20(2)2518.jpg

Is this raymond? lol

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Unless Horvat (or who am I kidding, Shinkaruk) make an immediate impact, as in playing a full time role with this club, I have to say this whole draft is tainted by the the Schneider trade. We moved the most valuable asset and kept the lower valued asset, while still keeping a high level of performance at the position. Moving Schneider wasn't the mistake. Moving Schneider that didn't maximize our return was.

This has shades of Hodgson and Kassian, a trade that came from no where that got us a ho-hum present return, and the promise of improvement. I can't write off Kassian, and keeping Hodgson would have been bad news, but I feel for both Schneider and Hodsgon, we could have, and should have, gotten more.

Anyway, I am warming up to Horvat as our top prospect, but I still feel Nichushkin would have been the better pick. We don't need another "two way forward". He may be a future leader of the team, but anyone drafted that high this year has that expectation on them.

Nurse(or Horvat again...who knows)+2nd+Klefbom could have been enough to play Schneider 8 times a season. By moving him for less, but further away, I feel Gillis acknowledged his value and ability, which drives me crazier.

Shinkaruk would have more then then made up for the pick of Horvat, but him dropping 10 spots or so wouldn't have been realistic to expect. I'm actually more excited for Shinkaruk then I am for Horvat, Gaunce and even potentially Jensen. Let's rock.

Cassels I have no comment on, since I'd never heard of the guy before we took him.

Subban as a 4th round pick could be a steal, but I'm not holding my breath. Corrado, Tanev, K-Conn, Polasek and I'm sure a few others show that low drafted (or not at all) Dmen can be made into contributing roster players (juries out on K-Conn, but he got us Roy anyway, and Polasek has made leaps forward). I don't expect the world of him, but I'm excited to see if he can live up to the hype his brother created for him.

Liberati, Cedarholm and the rest I honestly don't have any word on. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

After a night to sleep on it, I stand by my 8, even thinking it could drop to a 7 because of that trade.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I would have thought Schneider would garner a greater return but besides that, the draft was handled very well IMO. Really like that we use our top picks on forwards and later ones on dmen - that's the right strategy IMO. Also liked going heavier on CHL players and taking a high risk, high reward Shinkaruk after locking up the presumably safer choice in Horvat.

The Canucks really need a draft like Anaheim and Philadelphia had in 2003. Hopefully we come away with 2 impact forwards. It's desperately needed.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Going around the boards, all fans are in love with their picks and are seeing only blue skies. My prediction is that in 5 years, Oilers, flames and Canuck fans will not be as happy. Flames picked players to early. Oilers wasted a 3rd and 4th on two Russians who made it clear that they might never come over from Mother Russia. Canucks took a few guys who I think will break out hearts

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Going around the boards, all fans are in love with their picks and are seeing only blue skies. My prediction is that in 5 years, Oilers, flames and Canuck fans will not be as happy. Flames picked players to early. Oilers wasted a 3rd and 4th on two Russians who made it clear that they might never come over from Mother Russia. Canucks took a few guys who I think will break out hearts

Yeah I'm sure we'll be disappointed with our two first liners.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Going around the boards, all fans are in love with our picks. I have yet to see a single fan or analyst claim the Canucks anything but a good to great draft. Only time will tell if everyone is right or not.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Unless Horvat (or who am I kidding, Shinkaruk) make an immediate impact, as in playing a full time role with this club, I have to say this whole draft is tainted by the the Schneider trade. We moved the most valuable asset and kept the lower valued asset, while still keeping a high level of performance at the position. Moving Schneider wasn't the mistake. Moving Schneider that didn't maximize our return was.

This has shades of Hodgson and Kassian, a trade that came from no where that got us a ho-hum present return, and the promise of improvement. I can't write off Kassian, and keeping Hodgson would have been bad news, but I feel for both Schneider and Hodsgon, we could have, and should have, gotten more.

Anyway, I am warming up to Horvat as our top prospect, but I still feel Nichushkin would have been the better pick. We don't need another "two way forward". He may be a future leader of the team, but anyone drafted that high this year has that expectation on them.

Nurse(or Horvat again...who knows)+2nd+Klefbom could have been enough to play Schneider 8 times a season. By moving him for less, but further away, I feel Gillis acknowledged his value and ability, which drives me crazier.

Shinkaruk would have more then then made up for the pick of Horvat, but him dropping 10 spots or so wouldn't have been realistic to expect. I'm actually more excited for Shinkaruk then I am for Horvat, Gaunce and even potentially Jensen. Let's rock.

Cassels I have no comment on, since I'd never heard of the guy before we took him.

Subban as a 4th round pick could be a steal, but I'm not holding my breath. Corrado, Tanev, K-Conn, Polasek and I'm sure a few others show that low drafted (or not at all) Dmen can be made into contributing roster players (juries out on K-Conn, but he got us Roy anyway, and Polasek has made leaps forward). I don't expect the world of him, but I'm excited to see if he can live up to the hype his brother created for him.

Liberati, Cedarholm and the rest I honestly don't have any word on. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

After a night to sleep on it, I stand by my 8, even thinking it could drop to a 7 because of that trade.

That was the Canucks asking price in which Edmonton turned down. Why can't that get though some of your heads?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Going around the boards, all fans are in love with our picks. I have yet to see a single fan or analyst claim the Canucks anything but a good to great draft. Only time will tell if everyone is right or not.

Yup. Schneider aside, this draft was incredibly promising. Aside from getting the consensus two BPA's for the first round picks, we picked up a guy like Subban that people here were clamoring for a round earlier.

I think Calgary had a good draft too, simply because Monahan is going to be a stud. Not as convinced about Nurse, but if he can put it together he'll be a force for the Oilers.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Forgot but I gave it a blended 5. For the actual picks, a 9, but a 1 for losing Schneider and only getting the pick and blowing a second rounder on Roy.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah I'm sure we'll be disappointed with our two first liners.

I personally do not see them being top liners on a good team. And go around the boards and nearly every fan base is loving their picks and that amuses me. A few teams (Calgary and Edmonton) I think screwed up royally

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
I'm still a bit bummed about the draft, mainly due to the trade. I can't believe we didn't get more back for a young franchise goalie who has the all-time record for greatest save percentage of all goalies, ever. A single draft pick... outside the top-5. I was angry enough to choke kittens. And then I wasn't very happy with who we chose - granted I know very little about Horvat. But there were 3 forwards, all year long, that I really wanted to draft. They were: Barkov, Monahan, and Nichushkin. And we had a chance to grab one of them... and passed it up. Nichushkin reminds me of Rick Nash, he has so much talent, I am scared to watch him progress now.

So there's that. Then I was really happy about grabbing Hunter, although there are some concerns about him, and I'm sure we were all reminded of Jordan Schroeder falling to us at #22. But Hunter is still a great pick I think.

Keeping in mind the trade I would give our draft a 3.5 or a 4 at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad