Grabner to Face Hearing with DOPS (SUSPENDED 2 Games)

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Grabner isn't a dirty player at all. I watched the replay many times, I don't see how it's a 2 game suspension.

Grabner was going in for the hit, Gerbe at 5'5 pulls the puck back and takes a shot, his head is down.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Shanny is ****ing idiot. On anyone else it would have been a hit to the shoulder.

I guess you're just not allowed to hit Gerbe.

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
I just don't see what the purpose of this suspension is. That's a hit that someone is going to make 10 times out of 10. Grabner was picked just prior to contact, so his direction changed. His target was slightly bent over and naturally low to the ice, aka: short. No malicious intent, just a hockey play. So what does sitting him for two games do? This reminds me of how I would always get elbowing penalties in HS just because I'm 6'4" and the kid I hit was under 5'6". Yes, I hit him with my elbow, but it was tucked into my side and it can't get any lower. Should I raise my arm and hit him with the side of my rib cage? No thanks.

Honestly, I think this is just the NHL playing CYA so they can say they have been proactive in preventing concussions when the inevitable lawsuits are filed.

For those that haven't seen it, check out the PBS documentary League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis. Originally set to air on ESPN, PBS picked it up when the NFL gave ESPN some **** for attempting to air it. I can't help but feel that the NHL is throwing the book at these types of hits in an attempt to show how proactive they are when the poop hits the fan in a few years about the long term implications of head injuries in sports.

EDIT: And to all those who say +1 for being an Islander - really? Get over yourselves. We're the Islanders. That's like saying that Selig throws extra games at the Milwaukee Brewers. It's laughable.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Personally I would have given him 1 game instead of 2. Grabner did make the head the make focus of contact. But what I think the suspension really is for is how he stuck out his elbow-Grabner did not shoulder-check him. 2 games seems like a little bit much-but it's not that big of a deal.

I think a lot of people around these boards are wearing the Isles tinted glasses a little bit too much lately. The league is not out to get us...relax.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
seems like 2 games usually goes for more malicious body checks. Grabner had a bad game on saturday, hopefully he can do something productive with the break.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
I knew it. One for the hit, one for being an Islander.

Meanwhile Phaneuf takes off Okposo's head in a meaningless pre season game on purpose, and nothing.

Campbell, Shanahan... Same **** different face.

To summarize this Shany, this is a complete effing joke. Is Shanahan doing his Colon Campbell impersonation?

Riley Nash concusses Lubejob Visnovsky and doesn't get at least a phone call. Gerbe doesn't miss a shift and Lubejob is going to be out awhile.

To the Ranger$$$ loving NHL hacks: BOO! HISS! BOO!

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I don't know, in that video I see an elbow to the head. He deserves the 2 games.

I agree. THe video that was posted here first was not the est view.
After seeing this one i think two games is the right call. On the other hand he has no history so one game could have been fine as well.
I am not to upset with it.

Incarnadine Sea

Mar 4, 2011
Long Island
It was a hit to the head guys, there would be a suspension just for the hit to the head, regardless of intent. However, I don't understand why it's two games! Should have been one game for the hit itself. Clearly, Grabner is a clean player and had no intention to hit Gerbe in the head. The extra game is ridiculous.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Come on. Given Grabner's past history and reputation of being one of the least physical players in the league, you have to admit 2 games is too much.

No its not. It was a bad hit. A type of hit the NHL is 100% trying to remove from the game. He comes across and hits a defensive player directly in the head. Those are danger hits...look how many guys have been lost to conkys because of theae types of hits. It was a dumb play. You make dumb hits you leave it in the hands of the decision makers and you get what you get. If that was grabner on JT everyone would want death penalty

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
It was a hit to the head guys, there would be a suspension just for the hit to the head, regardless of intent. However, I don't understand why it's two games! Should have been one game for the hit itself. Clearly, Grabner is a clean player and had no intention to hit Gerbe in the head. The extra game is ridiculous.

two games is seemingly the min for hits to the head this season. There was rumor of that being an unspoken rule this year. This is the shortest headshot suspension this season, so really, we shouldnt be complaining. Its an illegal, dirty hit by a usually very clean player. Probably zero intent to hit his head, but he did, so he got the min games.

There are times i almost buy into the "the league is against us" nonsense(bc lets face it, its nonsense), but this is pretty cut and dry against the rules. You take your medicine and move on. Two games in October...oh well.

Tanevian*

I don't know, in that video I see an elbow to the head. He deserves the 2 games.

I am not sure how it could be seen any differently. It seems as though a head shot sans injury/malice is 2 games for the first offence.

I can't wait to see a big name player get the same treatment.

Incarnadine Sea

Mar 4, 2011
Long Island
two games is seemingly the min for hits to the head this season. There was rumor of that being an unspoken rule this year. This is the shortest headshot suspension this season, so really, we shouldnt be complaining. Its an illegal, dirty hit by a usually very clean player. Probably zero intent to hit his head, but he did, so he got the min games.

There are times i almost buy into the "the league is against us" nonsense(bc lets face it, its nonsense), but this is pretty cut and dry against the rules. You take your medicine and move on. Two games in October...oh well.

I agree. Before this season, it might have been one game. A few seasons ago it might have just been a fine. It was clearly a hit to the head, I don't see how some on here fail to see that.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I agree. Before this season, it might have been one game. A few seasons ago it might have just been a fine. It was clearly a hit to the head, I don't see how some on here fail to see that.

I am here with you. I feel like some are upset because it is against there " team"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->