Grabner to Face Hearing with DOPS (SUSPENDED 2 Games)

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
A guy with no previous malicious, questionable hits in his what...7 years as pro...

Yeah, I don't get it. It was a mistake he made and now it'll cost him and his team 2 games. Stupid.

I've noticed Grabs had been taking the body alot more since the Pens series last season and it was pretty effective. This oughta put the scare in him to avoid any and all contact with the opposition from now on. Dumb.

Hockey Sock

Jun 6, 2007
I do not agree with the suspension and here is why:

Grabner did not target Gerbe's head. If you watch the hit you will see that Tavares' stick and skate made contact as Gerbe was dropping his head and slowing to shoot. Add to this the fact that there is a 7" height difference.
This was an unfortunate hit that rule #48 can allow for circumstances like this.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Aside from the fact Grabner deserves a 2 game suspension just for wearing those hideous third uni's ..... I tried to put the shoe on the other foot and asked myself what if Gerbe hit Grabner like that?

It's my own opinion but I struggle to see a two game suspension either way.. It's not as if Gerbe was completely upright and Grabner raised his elbow..

I know that Grabner emphasized the hit with his eblow, but I honestly believe that was just natural follow-through you'd see on any body-check..

Honestly, I'm struggling to see why there'd even be a token fine in this situation since Grabner was NOT deliberately targeting Gerbe's head..

Gerbe's head wasn't where it should have been and those speeds Grabner had no time or space to do anything other than what he did.. to repeat my comment about the elbow, anyone who's every delivered more than 1 bodycheck in hockey knows that pretty often you naturally push off with your arm/elbow..

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I knew it. One for the hit, one for being an Islander.

Meanwhile Phaneuf takes off Okposo's head in a meaningless pre season game on purpose, and nothing.

Campbell, Shanahan... Same **** different face.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
This job and the power he weilds has gone to Shanahan's head.
Even before this incident I was amazed at how many suspensions he was doling out.
He is uneven in hs decisions. Kaleta, a multi repeat offender gets only 10 games? Taht guy does not learn and will really hurt some player one day. He needs a half season off.
Two for Grabner is crap. Saint Brendan has taken this to far.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Ridiculous.

The asshat Sabre who manhandled Tavares for 15 seconds was more deserving of a suspension.

Could understand one game to send a message but two...

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
terrible. grabner is going to be a HUGE loss for the next two games.

i'm the same height as gerbe, so i don't mean to speak ill of him, but when you play with your head the same length of everyone's shoulders, of course any normal hit has potential to be a disaster. that's just playing in the NHL if you're under 5'10" or whatever.

it's especially absurd because gerbe was not injured and grabs has no history of being a dirty player.

i don't know what sense there is behind this.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Borderline, I will tell you from my own playing experience if Grabner hadn't pushed his arm out like that (which was probably really just a move to keep balance) it would have been fine. The fact that the motion to keep his balance coincided with the check it makes it look like he threw out his elbow to hit Gerbe. It's unfortunate timing....but I really look at this is one of those unavoidable suspensions unless you don't want to take the body at all...

eastonhockey22*

I agree. Some serious homers on this board. Exact hit the nhl is trying to get away from.

I also agree. If it was one of the Isles on the receiving end of that hit most of the posters on this board would be calling for 5+ games and a fine. An elbow to the head is an elbow to the head no matter how you cut it.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
cost of doing business if you are an islander i guess. It's sorta like getting pulled over for doing 58, sometimes it's just your day to pay the fine, in this case its magnified by being an Islander...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad