Injury Report: Grabner Taken to the Hospital After a High Stick (UPD: Returns 3/7 or 3/9)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Right eye. Looks like he's at home. My guess is no serious eye damage.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hope he gets well soon.
And also that his injury has no long lasting effects on his health.

on another note, thats why i would always wear a helmet with visor and cage, even though some might say it's not manly, simply because of protection and my braces where expensive and i don't want new ones or new teeth.
i cannot understand why so few players in the NHL and other leagues wear those.
The NHL doesn’t allow you to wear a cage unless you have a facial injury.

Good news is that Grabner is on twitter making jokes and seems to be in good spirits. Wouldn’t expect that from someone who’s career is in jeopardy.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
Great to see him posting! First time i've been that concerned after watching a sports injury in a long time...sure some others are gruesome but you don't get eyes back.

Big mistake if the league ever goes to cages/full shields. While these type of injuries do happen its more of a freak thing and rather isolated. Put cages/sheilds on and headshots will head injuries will go through the roof.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Great to see him posting! First time i've been that concerned after watching a sports injury in a long time...sure some others are gruesome but you don't get eyes back.

Big mistake if the league ever goes to cages/full shields. While these type of injuries do happen its more of a freak thing and rather isolated. Put cages/sheilds on and headshots will head injuries will go through the roof.
They have shields/full cage in juniors for a reason, its safer. If Grabner lost an eye, the NHL would be more likely to change the rules. Remember when helmets weren't required, then shields. Somebody might lose an eye first, but I can see full face protection happening. Fighting is going away regardless.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
They have shields/full cage in juniors for a reason, its safer. If Grabner lost an eye, the NHL would be more likely to change the rules. Remember when helmets weren't required, then shields. Somebody might lose an eye first, but I can see full face protection happening. Fighting is going away regardless.

Junior is visor...The players that go NCAA hate going back to cage/shield after. I personally think it's a matter of time until the ncaa goes visor. I got hit in the face a lot less with sticks/elbows/etc in Junior than I did in Prep with a cage. IMO it's a respect/control thing.

Sure you get these injuries every once and awhile but look at football with fask masks...You have guys literally leading into the hit with their heads.

Just Glad he seems to be in good spirits about this!

Reactions: Name Nameless

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If this team doesn’t make a trade, then we are giving up on the season.

Maroon from the Blues would be a nice cheap add. Brassard would be somewhere in the middle. Perron would be a higher end add, although Blues just signed him.

We are going to have to unload a contract to add anyone. As much as I want to flip Panik we may need him for depth. I'd like to see Bunting get a look too.

No call ups today which is odd. Are we carrying 13 forwards? Or is Kempe up?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
The NHL doesn’t allow you to wear a cage unless you have a facial injury.

Good news is that Grabner is on twitter making jokes and seems to be in good spirits. Wouldn’t expect that from someone who’s career is in jeopardy.

I meant it more as a choice for players and not that the NHl says that they have to wear visor + cage.
I would wear such a thing even if it is annoying.
give people the choice and they will say what they want.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Glad Grabs is okay.. ish. That could have been a lot worse.

Agree with a Bunting call up, it's about time he had a shot in the big show. You know it's going to be Mario, though.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If this team doesn’t make a trade, then we are giving up on the season.
We just made a trade. How many trades do you want us to make? It's a team sport, injuries happen to all teams so you just can't make a trade when you get an injury.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Why call up unknown quantities that probably won’t play when they can get the ice time??

Unless Grabner miraculously comes back in a few games, there is going to be a big hole in the lineup for a while.
Can't find the next Rieders and Martinooks without giving anyone else a chance. Kempe is what he is at this point.

Reactions: Lilhoody

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We just made a trade. How many trades do you want us to make? It's a team sport, injuries happen to all teams so you just can't make a trade when you get an injury.

We traded two useless players for a good one. That’s different than losing one of your best forwards likely for the rest of the year.

Kempe shouldn’t be on an NHL roster, let alone filling in for Grabner. We need an actual NHL player in that spot, not waiver wire bull shit

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Give it about 10 days or so, maybe a little longer, b/c of the cuts.

I had something similar (not due to hockey). Took an elbow right to the eye socket and was flopping around like a fish for about 3 minutes. Was surprised that I wasn't concussed (I passed all of the concussion tests two days later), but my eye was swollen shut for 5 days straight, and probably took about 10-14 days for all of the discoloration to go away. Fortunately, I didn't have any cuts around the eye - I'd be more worried about Grabner's cuts getting infected by coming into contact with a stick that is on ice that gets spit and sweat upon it each game.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Call me crazy, but I don't think he'll be out long. Looks to be mostly superficial cuts and scrapes - really not that bad. I agree with some of you in thinking if he's posting on social media, long term effects can't be that bad. He's probably more relieved that it wasn't more serious and is showing that by bantering a bit on Twitter. That's speculation though... 10 days might be about right. Just glad he wasn't wearing an eye patch or forced to lay chest down for 30 days, lol.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Reckon we need a new GM who’s known to make a lot of crazy trades.....

monty-hall-825-2.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad