Grabner disappoints, Bowman impresses

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Watched him last night here in Brandon. I was expecting a lot more from him than he showed, maybe the long bus ride to Brandon tuckered him out. He did not pay the price once tonight, stayed to the outside, was gifted a puck in front of Plante (by Erb the Bdn d-man) and missed. Reminded me a lot of Maxwell, in that he has speed and skill but wouldn't go and get dirty. Lot's of potential if he could get a little braver!
I thought Bowman and Rutherford were the best Spokane players on the night, good fast game overall, even though the score was only 1 v 0 to Brandon.

Actually does anyone have any info on Bowman, he appeared to have good size, decent speed and good hockey sense. I'd like to see him play for my Wheaties!!!

AgentNaslund*

hmmmm, I dont know when did Grabner deserve his own thread, Not sure why you are really pinning it on him too, its like and Oiler fan finding stupid reasons to bash a Canuck player, Grabner had a 9 game point streak going into this game, What I heard Grabner did have at least a couple scoring chances tonight.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
hmmmm, I dont know when did Grabner deserve his own thread, Not sure why you are really pinning it on him too, its like and Oiler fan finding stupid reasons to bash a Canuck player, Grabner had a 9 game point streak going into this game, What I heard Grabner did have at least a couple scoring chances tonight.
Why do you take offense to one of your prospects stinking it up.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Do you think there should be a new thread made everytime a prospect has a bad game? That's pretty rediculous.

Why not? Unfortunately for every first hand observation like the one that started this thread, there are 100s of posts that discuss statistics only. Now, that's a waste of board space!

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Why not? Unfortunately for every first hand observation like the one that started this thread, there are 100s of posts that discuss statistics only. Now, that's a waste of board space!

ok, then by that logic, we can have a thread every time a prospect has a good game then.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Do you think there should be a new thread made everytime a prospect has a bad game? That's pretty rediculous.
Maybe not but more first hand information like this would be better then me saying Bourdon stunk it up in his first game as an Eagle (no points) when that clearly may not be true. He did play that short handed goal poorly, let Gragnani walk right into the hash marks and rip it top shelf.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Actually does anyone have any info on Bowman, he appeared to have good size, decent speed and good hockey sense. I'd like to see him play for my Wheaties!!!
He's ranked somewhere in the 2nd round. From Denver. Everything I've heard sounds like a sniper.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe not but more first hand information like this would be better then me saying Bourdon stunk it up in his first game as an Eagle (no points) when that clearly may not be true. He did play that short handed goal poorly, let Gragnani walk right into the hash marks and rip it top shelf.

a thread about a game is hardly valuable. Discussing a player and then using a number of different games as reference is far more relevant. One game is not enough of a sample size to evaluate a player in any circumstance, whether first hand or not.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005

Me thinks you're a little sensitive agentnaslund...Isn't the prospect board the place to post our opinions on players we see?
I haven't seen Spokane live this year so thought I'd post my opinions on a couple of their players. Grabner is the obvious one to talk about b/c of his rep, and if you notice the thread isn't just about him b/c the title also had the name of another player, Bowman, who did impress.... No where did I say Grabner won't make it as a pro, I just said he looked soft and tentative along with his obvious speed and skill. And yes, I detailed the one can't miss chance he had, which he missed!!
Someone else asked about Burki, well he's the same old Burki, flashes of brilliance followed by taking a shift off. Mr Inconsistency. He is going into the corners and getting the puck more this year though, so he's working on being stronger...
Klinkhammer looks like a good pickup, big, strong and threw his body around.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
ok, then by that logic, we can have a thread every time a prospect has a good game then.

We can have a thread any time somebody saw a game and has something to say about the prospects that he has seen in that game. Not like we have too many of those threads, most of the time people post scoresheet recaps (ugh, that's something anyone can do for himself, so I consider it utterly useless).

Bryzga lol*

Because at 12th overall, he's bound to have many good games. Bad games aren't expected of him. But if you see him play a good game, go ahead and make a thread... I'm sure you'll get less bickering than sbtatter got for making this thread.

This is possibly the first time he's seen these guys play this year and he wanted to share what he saw with hfboards. And it just so happens Grabner didn't play like a first rounder. Big deal.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Because at 12th overall, he's bound to have many good games. Bad games aren't expected of him. But if you see him play a good game, go ahead and make a thread... I'm sure you'll get less bickering than sbtatter got for making this thread.

This is possibly the first time he's seen these guys play this year and he wanted to share what he saw with hfboards. And it just so happens Grabner didn't play like a first rounder. Big deal.
It was the first time I've seen Spokane live this season.
And you just know Grabner will go and score a hatrick in Moose Jaw tonight!!!

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I find it odd that you describe him as soft and tentative because if anything, he showed in the preseason here he was absolutely willing to go to the net and pay the price. He also loves to mix it up and one of the Spokane fans on this board said he often tries to go for the big hit.

Maybe he had an off night, he's really struggled with injuries this year so that could be part of his reluctance to get physical right now.

turnbuckle*

Bowman is a solid skater without question, and at 6-0 1/4 he's got average NHL height, but his hands are far from fabulous, and he's not a great passer. Hard to see him cracking a team's top two lines unless they're pretty poor...does he translate into an NHL checker? I expect Bowman to be a third rounder, late second round pick at best.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Comparing any junior to Ben Maxwell seems quite a compliment...

cc

Feb 28, 2002

exactly my sentiment. Who the heck cares that Grabner didn't play well in one game? Why make a thread titled "Grabner disapoints, Bowman impresses" which suggests that it wasn't about seeing a game live so much as it was about singling out a couple of players in a single game. I've seen plenty of junior games as well. I'm not going to make a thread every time I do because it's pointless.

Furthermore, I can guarantee that if someone decided to make a thread for Grabner for every good game will recieve even MORE flack from everyone else in this board for the EXACT same reason I'm stating.

There is no standard as to what should qualify as a thread here, but there's a reason why you don't see this type of thread very often. People around here know enough not to think that every game that is seen live merits it's own attention.

BTW, for the sake of accuracy, Grabner was drafted 14th overall and it's not automatically expected that he will play well most of the time. A lot of players are picked almost solely on upside and potential.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
message to cc

It was a post about a game featuring players who stood out, and ones who didn't. It wasn't a thread about who's going to make the NHL. Why would i bash Grabner, i don't care one way or the other about him. I just made some comments on how he played, he was a guy we were excited to see. He played poorly, so live with it. I'll post my observations on players here if I want to, if you don't like it, you certainly don't have to read them or comment on them......For the record, Simek was just as bad as Grabner that night.....doesn't mean he's a bust though....

philc9

Nov 25, 2006
Grabner has unreal talent, but is scared to get dirty because he is very injury prone, and doesnt want to be out of the lineup.

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
Grabner has unreal talent, but is scared to get dirty because he is very injury prone, and doesnt want to be out of the lineup.
where the hell did this come from?

The only real substancial injury that Grabby has had since he joined the Chiefs is the problem he had earlier this year. Besides that he has been pretty much injury free, except for the flu bug that hit him for one game this year.

Furthermore, in the middle of last season he was asked and practied on being more of a physical player. Realize its not much, but he has definately improved on that part of the game. If you watched him as much as you ran your mouth about him you would see that he will not shy away from hits and the physical play.

If anyone watched him in the preseason did you not see him matched up against Chris Pronger, one of the best defenceman in the league?

It definately isn't the strongest part of his game, but to say he is scared to get dirty and is very injury prone is a pretty lopsided and wrong statement.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
sbtatter - appreciate any information and opinion on prospects. People get too protective of their own prospects.

Your comments on Grabner echo similar comments. From what I've seen and had told to me Grabner can go MIA at times. He's a streaky player who given time and space can really burn you. But he tends to float at times looking to get the pass for a quick burst around the defense.

I think Grabner does have superior skating and skills and has potential to be a good player. Probably best case scenario is that he ends up being like Svatos type player. Grabner should score at any level he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad