• Final Fantasy 7 Remake

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Hades

• Last of Us Part 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Cyberpunk is still coming out this year though, right? Couldn't they wait?

Pretty sure it comes out day of the Game Awards.

However, I think it will show up in the 2021 show. I believe Smash Ultimate did something like that, as I recall.

Last edited:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Looked up and watched a Hades review to see what it was all about. Truthfully looks like garbage, definitely not something I would enjoy and not sure how it’s in contention for GOTY but of course to each their own. (As i’m sure a bunch would say the same for my vote :) )

I thought the same thing until I played it.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I finished TLOU2 yesterday, and its one of the best games I've ever played. The story and "acting" is incredible.

Is it better than part 1? Tried playing it from the beginning on 3 separate occasions and kept asking “is this it?”

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I preferred the first LOU to part 2.

The truth is, neither game's gameplay really holds up to scrutiny. It's not a particularly great TPS, and it's not a particularly great stealth game. It's the world building and storytelling (and, at the time, presentation value) that really made the game memorable. IMO, the storytelling is simply better and tighter in the first game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The storytelling is bad in both LOU1 and LOU2, IMO. The first game just repeatedly uses crowd-pleasing cliches and overused narrative techniques that felt like they came out of an eye-rolling episode of Walking Dead, only with a half-interesting dilemma thrown in at the end that gets put on a pedestal. The second game is an awkward and poorly paced, overbearing/heavy-handed, wannabe-artistic-statement that for me felt alot like it was heading towards inept/obnoxious David Cage-esque "aren't-I-profound?" moralizing/pretension (that's an exaggeration of course, David Cage is obviously way worse at it, but it definitely felt like degrees of that for me-- I agree with the Oscar-bait label).

Combine that with the underwhelming gameplay, and the merits of the two games are really only high production values/realism and solid performances, for my money.

Last edited:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i only played lou2... its a great game and deserves its place in the goty awards. even if u get disconnected to the characters, the action/horror gameplay is enough to keep u engaged. to me this game is a punch in the face to all generic open world titles that force to grind hours with usless fetch/collect missions. the short action packed gameplay with the quality cut scenes in between is the perfect combo.

as i see it, its only the movie buffs that desperately want it to rate as such. every time u hear the word artistic/pace/message in a review regarding this game u can skip it. its none of that, its just a game. we are not handing out oscars.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Can we all just agree that the abbreviation is TLOU, not LOU?

No.

People who put articles (the, a, an, etc) in acronyms are terrorists.

And if you absolutely MUST for some reason, then they should be lower case.

Eg. Breath of the Wild = BotW.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I preferred the first LOU to part 2.

The truth is, neither game's gameplay really holds up to scrutiny. It's not a particularly great TPS, and it's not a particularly great stealth game. It's the world building and storytelling (and, at the time, presentation value) that really made the game memorable. IMO, the storytelling is simply better and tighter in the first game.

When I played Last of Us 2 I bought it to play as Joel.

Didn't buy the Game to play mostly as Abby or Ellie.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
When I played Last of Us 2 I bought it to play as Joel.

Didn't buy the Game to play mostly as Abby or Ellie.

I had no issue with not playing as Joel. To me it was like playing as Raiden in MGS2 instead of Snake. Mechanically it was exactly the same, so who cares so long as the experience is still engaging.

I just thought the pacing of the storyline was pretty bad, and they didn't successfully deliver the impact they wanted to as far as the theme of revenge.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I had no issue with not playing as Joel. To me it was like playing as Raiden in MGS2 instead of Snake. Mechanically it was exactly the same, so who cares so long as the experience is still engaging.

I just thought the pacing of the storyline was pretty bad, and they didn't successfully deliver the impact they wanted to as far as the theme of revenge.

Raiden is a far better character than Abby and Ellie.

Abby left me thinking how dull she can be while Abby I don't care at all about her.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Raiden is a far better character than Abby and Ellie.

Abby left me thinking how dull she can be while Abby I don't care at all about her.

From a character standpoint, I had no issue with Abby or Ellie. I thought they were both interesting with lots of potential to mine. The storyline just didn't do them justice IMO. I'd have happily played a better-paced, more impactful narrative with both characters.

And it's not like I think LOU2 is trash, it's just not as good as the first one IMO.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
From a character standpoint, I had no issue with Abby or Ellie. I thought they were both interesting with lots of potential to mine. The storyline just didn't do them justice IMO. I'd have happily played a better-paced, more impactful narrative with both characters.

And it's not like I think LOU2 is trash, it's just not as good as the first one IMO.

Did you see PewDiePie's video playing Last of Us 2.

He's a well known gamer from Sweden that stopped the game right after the event involving Joel took place and he said I don't want to play anymore.

:laugh:

He also instead of calling Abby, Abby he calls her Debbie.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i only played lou2... its a great game and deserves its place in the goty awards. even if u get disconnected to the characters, the action/horror gameplay is enough to keep u engaged. to me this game is a punch in the face to all generic open world titles that force to grind hours with usless fetch/collect missions. the short action packed gameplay with the quality cut scenes in between is the perfect combo.

as i see it, its only the movie buffs that desperately want it to rate as such. every time u hear the word artistic/pace/message in a review regarding this game u can skip it. its none of that, its just a game. we are not handing out oscars.
The game totally doesn't aim to be what you're describing, though, and does try to be all of those high-minded arty movie things instead, and in my opinion fails at them (I can understand disagreeing on whether or not it's successful, but to suggest that it doesn't have those ambitions seems silly to me). I do agree with you that it probably would have been better off it didn't try to be all that other stuff, and instead just focused a bit more on what it was actually solid at, just being a gritty/dark/fun "game-y" game with great production values.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
TLOU2 was just Pointless Daddy Issues: The Game. Plus some ham-fisted homages to middle eastern politics that most people who played probably didn't notice even though Druckmann and co. talked about it explicitly.

It has incredible motion capture and acting but the writing is garbage. People need to learn to tell the difference at some point.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But yeah, I find all of the arguments whining about wanting to play as Joel and complaining about what they did to him to be pretty dumb. Judge a thing by what it is, how well everything works, and how much value you think it has, not what you wanted it to be and whether or not your expectations were betrayed.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
TLOU2 was just Pointless Daddy Issues: The Game. Plus some ham-fisted homages to middle eastern politics that most people who played probably didn't notice even though Druckmann and co. talked about it explicitly.

It has incredible motion capture and acting but the writing is garbage. People need to learn to tell the difference at some point.

Delete.

Last edited:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
But yeah, I find all of the arguments whining about wanting to play as Joel and complaining about what they did to him to be pretty dumb. Judge a thing by what it is, how well everything works, and how much value you think it has, not what you wanted it to be and whether or not your expectations were betrayed.

For me I felt he was killed off far too early and in the first game he was more intelligent while in the second not anymore.

Joel did things in the second game in which he never would've done in the first.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Neil Druckmann should've taken a few pointers from the Resident Evil 1-4 games.

Far better writing and consistency with character development.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ghost of Tusuhima should win this.

Amazing combat gameplay, well written story and the setting is one that isnt touched on enough in gaming. I think as someone else said it's also the best assassin's creed game since Black Flag :laugh:

It definitely had its flaws (repetitive sidequest outside of the character driven side stories, repetitive gameplay structure in terms of taking back camps all in the same way) but it's easily better than Last Of Us 2 and FF7

The ending is also probably one of the best ive seen in a while. The combination of the interaction between the two characters and the music just hits so ****ing right.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Ghost of Tusuhima should win this.

Amazing combat gameplay, well written story and the setting is one that isnt touched on enough in gaming. I think as someone else said it's also the best assassin's creed game since Black Flag :laugh:

It definitely had its flaws (repetitive sidequest outside of the character driven side stories, repetitive gameplay structure in terms of taking back camps all in the same way) but it's easily better than Last Of Us 2 and FF7

The ending is also probably one of the best ive seen in a while. The combination of the interaction between the two characters and the music just hits so ****ing right.

The ending is one of the best video game endings I'm aware of. Emotional heavyweight punch to the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad