• Doom Eternal

• Final Fantasy 7 Remake

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Hades

• Last of Us Part 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Out of that list TLOU 2 quite easily. Much better than the original in almost every way, from the presentation to the gameplay.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hades is the only one I'd have on a top 10 this year.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Seems like a pretty weak year, I guess not totally unexpected in a generational transition period.

I only played FF7 out of the nominees. It was fine but no GOTY type experience for me.

Later on I'll probably consider Persona 5 Royal and Yakuza 7 to be the best games of 2020, I just haven't played either yet. But the original Persona 5 was my GOTY a few years ago and I've loved every Yakuza I've played so far so I'm pretty sure I'll love them.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Looked up and watched a Hades review to see what it was all about. Truthfully looks like garbage, definitely not something I would enjoy and not sure how it’s in contention for GOTY but of course to each their own. (As i’m sure a bunch would say the same for my vote :) )

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Voted FF7 remake, though my vote should be taken with a hefty grain of salt because the only other game I've played is Animal Crossing. The others sans Doom are on my list for sooner or later, with TLO2 probably next up, as I've had it for a while but didn't want to start anther big game while I am working my way through Fire Emblem Three Houses.

I acknowledge the weaknesses of the remake, but the strengths still far outweigh it for me, enough to make it one of my more memorable experiences since getting back into gaming. In particular, I was hooked on the combat system, and I'm much more amenable to old school turn-based styles, so I think their achievement there is no small feat. It's something I actually credit to going back and playing the original for the first time after playing the demo when it came out. When I played the demo, I really couldn't get a handle on the combat system at all, whereas when I finally got to the real game, it was able to become fairly intuitive - at least in the sense of how to learn what to do - pretty quickly.

Otherwise I think the execution of most of the game nailed in, and I still go back and forth on the ending. I see where people are coming from and tend to think I might not be as sensitive to the logical worries people have since I haven't really been burned by Square Enix before. I don't mean to suggest that there aren't faults with the game itself, but I guess what I'm saying is that on the whole, the ambiguity excites me more than bothers me. I am really looking forward to the next one.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Honestly, I feel like the Demon Souls remake is a better game than most of these. I guess it missed the cut-off, but it's still this year. I like FFVII Remake (outside of the nonsense end climax) and Hades (although so far, not as much as other posters do) as well. Actively disliked and found Last of Us II obnoxious/heavy-handed and found Ghosts of Tsushima generic and uninteresting in a typical AAA game way.

I was pretty lukewarm on it for the first few hours but it does open up quite a bit. It's not just about grinding to get upgrades and new stuff; the more you progress, the more the story unfolds, the more it changes the landscape of the routine (the enemies/bosses/NPCs and upgrades change over time). There's a lot more depth than the first few hours would suggest.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
FFVII Remake should be held off the ballot until the entire game is out. FFS almost half of the original cast isn't even in the game.
But it was an entire game...

The story just has multiple parts. It’s like holding off Last of Us because there will be multiple parts.

Reactions: Dolemite

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Ghost of Tsushima leading this poll is crazy.

Its a perfectly good, very pretty Assassin’s Creed clone. Frankly Im not even sure its the best Assassin’s Creed released this year.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

Its a perfectly good, very pretty Assassin’s Creed clone. Frankly Im not even sure its the best Assassin’s Creed released this year.
I feel like any exclusive often gets extra slack and better grades simply because it's an exclusive. I there's a mindset people subconsciously have like "I'm glad I got system X for this game!"

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Won't vote since I haven't played enough on this list, but Ghost of Tsushima is an excellent open world game. Hades looks fantastic, does anyone have it for Switch, is it close to the PC release or should i just wait for a PS5 release?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Cyberpunk is still coming out this year though, right? Couldn't they wait?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I finished TLOU2 yesterday, and its one of the best games I've ever played. The story and "acting" is incredible.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I can't play an AC game for more than fifteen minutes without wanting to fall asleep or jump out my window and break my legs; both activities being more exciting and pleasant than playing an AC game. I 100%'ed Ghost of Tsushima which is something I've never done before. If you're going to call Ghost of Tsushima an AC clone than it's an AC clone that is better than every single AC game at every single aspect of gamehood a person can conceive of.

Reactions: KlausJopling

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Lol @ New Horizons being on here. It's an absolutely horrific, barren, bland mess of a game that completely drained the life out of this series, and I say that as someone who is absolutely in love with the Animal Crossing series. One of the biggest disappointments in gaming history at least in terms of games I was excited about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad