• Final Fantasy 7 Remake

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Hades

• Last of Us Part 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Here is a list of the other categories and nominations! Just click the link and scroll down.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Still need to play Ghost of Tsushima and FF7 Remake

Personally for me though, it's Hades. An outstanding game and I'm glad to see it get some recognition.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hades is the best game on the list, but its the game awards, so TLOU2 will win.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Mine is between Ghost of Tsushima and Hades at this point. Got to get around to Doom still.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hades is like the token Indie game nomination-- Even if it's the best game on the list, there's no way it wins, IMO.

I wonder if Last of Us II wins (seems like the likely Game Awards choice), and if it does, how much of an outcry there will be.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hades is like the token Indie game nomination-- Even if it's the best game on the list, there's no way it wins, IMO.

I wonder if Last of Us II wins (seems like the likely Game Awards choice), and if it does, how much of an outcry there will be.
I feel like Geoff Keighley just gives the award to whoever he feels like. The show really has no credibility to me tbh. I swear one year he just randomly made up some award to give to Kojima just cause they're friends.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
To be honest haven't played any of those outside of FF7R which I stopped playing after the intro mission and decided to wait for the PC version lol. Great purchase on my part

Also I don't think I know anyone, in person or online, that actually takes these awards seriously.

Reactions: robertmac43

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Also I don't think I know anyone, in person or online, that actually takes these awards seriously.

I remember I was pumped the first time they did these awards as it felt like video games had finally "made it" as legit mainstream media. After so many decades of video games being scoffed at as an immature medium that only kids/neckbeards enjoyed, this felt like a step in the public kind of acknowledging them as a real art form in pop culture. I know the award show is a joke, but I liked the symbolism it brought with it at the time.

Poor Geoff Keighley. Guy was one of my favourite journalists growing up, being huge into video games, I always thought he was the most informed and reasonable/level-headed journalist, but this seems to have been the turning point in his career:

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Mikeaveli

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just want to see the ads for anything interesting.

After Death Stranding was shoehorned into basically all the categories it could last year I don't really put a lot of stock into these things.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I feel like Geoff Keighley just gives the award to whoever he feels like. The show really has no credibility to me tbh. I swear one year he just randomly made up some award to give to Kojima just cause they're friends.
I actually have no idea what the process is for determining Game Awards. Does Keighley really just single-handedly decide the winners? There's no committee or vote whatsoever? That's.... both ridiculous and kind of amusing.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I actually have no idea what the process is for determining Game Awards. Does Keighley really just single-handedly decide the winners? There's no committee or vote whatsoever? That's.... both ridiculous and kind of amusing.
I don't think he does, just that one "icon in gaming" award or whatever. I'm sure there's a committee since the show to my understanding is largely financed by Microsoft Nintendo and Sony (which in and of itself is kind of weird), but some of the choices are weird. Like one year Boogie won "trending gamer", for seemingly no reason other than he was morbidly obese and made some sob videos. His actual gaming content is him playing the character "Francis", an angry overweight gamer that would scream and swear and break stuff over EA microtransactions or whatever was in the news at the time. It was like the award show had never seen a single one of his videos.

Boogies and to a lesser extent Dr Disrespects (another winner of the award) controversial views having come to light it seems like this year they made extra sure to pick squeaky clean gamers with no regard for actual popularity because I've never heard of any of them.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, I feel like the Demon Souls remake is a better game than most of these. I guess it missed the cut-off, but it's still this year. I like FFVII Remake (outside of the nonsense end climax) and Hades (although so far, not as much as other posters do) as well. Actively disliked and found Last of Us II obnoxious/heavy-handed and found Ghosts of Tsushima generic and uninteresting in a typical AAA game way.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I remember I was pumped the first time they did these awards as it felt like video games had finally "made it" as legit mainstream media. After so many decades of video games being scoffed at as an immature medium that only kids/neckbeards enjoyed, this felt like a step in the public kind of acknowledging them as a real art form in pop culture. I know the award show is a joke, but I liked the symbolism it brought with it at the time.

Poor Geoff Keighley. Guy was one of my favourite journalists growing up, being huge into video games, I always thought he was the most informed and reasonable/level-headed journalist, but this seems to have been the turning point in his career:

maxresdefault.jpg

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Literally none of my top 5 games of the year are even candidates. Half Life Alyx is easily my #1 game of the year. Of the games qualified, I guess Doom Eternal but it felt like a step back from Doom 2016 so I feel kind of dirty even picking it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->