Gotta love assumptions. (NHL steroid use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Battousai said:
No. In fact, one of the reasons people use steroids is to gain endurance (as with track-and-field or swimming athletes).

However, steroids don't help agility and may, in extreme cases of muscle mass addition, lower agility. Additionally, steroids could increase the risk of tendon and ligament injuries (strains and tears). Those problems would probably keep some hockey athletes away from steroids. Not to mention the obvious internal health implications.
Steroids do increase the risk tendon and ligament injuries. Thats why most people who have used steroids for long peroids of times have serious injuries occur.

As far as Dick Pound goes He thinks every sport has a steroid problem. I cant wait for him to start saying chess players use them.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
I can't believe people are taking Daly's word over Pound's :dunno:

Might be that 33% don't use, might be even more. But Daly's belittling (sp?) way of referring to Pound is disgraceful IMO

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Jazz said:
I will only debate your very last sentance - steriods will not bring a "massive" benefit to hockey players - for finesse players, the additional bulkyness would actually slow them down. :teach:
Which is why teams refuse to allow 'finesse players' to do weight training. :teach:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Battousai said:
Additionally, steroids could increase the risk of tendon and ligament injuries (strains and tears).

Very true. The muscles get so big the tendons cannot handle them. That's a big reason why there are so many more muscle injuries now than ever before(all sports, not just hockey).

I think people have a misconception that people only use steroids to get bigger. One of the main reasons atheltes take them is they help you heal from injury faster.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I for one wouldn't be surprised at all if Pound's claims were true, I know personally few NHLers who say players take all kind of stuff in the lockerroom. Some of them are 'harmless' like flu medication which are still classified as illegal substances by WADA.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Diaboli said:
I can't believe people are taking Daly's word over Pound's :dunno:

Might be that 33% don't use, might be even more. But Daly's belittling (sp?) way of referring to Pound is disgraceful IMO
Pound's belittling of the NHL by using baseless fact to weasel his way into the locker rooms is far more belittling.

Sucking at Pound's teat I see. How does sour milk taste?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
North America is so far beyond in the whole doping issue that I'm not suprised to see all these angry comments directed at Pound.

The truth is something which neither NHL or NHLPA wants to see in public and it shows in the ridiculous penalties they give for stereoid use.

Let's put things in to perspective here: Abel Xavier (plays in top soccer league in Europe) got caught and was banned for 18 months and 2nd offense will get him a lifetime ban.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Pepper said:
North America is so far beyond in the whole doping issue that I'm not suprised to see all these angry comments directed at Pound.

The truth is something which neither NHL or NHLPA wants to see in public and it shows in the ridiculous penalties they give for stereoid use.

Let's put things in to perspective here: Abel Xavier (plays in top soccer league in Europe) got caught and was banned for 18 months and 2nd offense will get him a lifetime ban.
No, the angry comments are directed because the US Government wants to regulate professional sports. The fact of the matter is it's been a witch hunt from the start on capital hill, and often times there's a severe medical bias presented with the facts, citing that steroids kill. Do they? Where's the evidence? (hearsay doesn't count)

This ain't baseball. We don't need bailed out when we can't fix our own problems. The point of it all is that the agency is saying that the NHL has a drug problem, when in all reality they do not.

End. Of. Story.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Talk about missing the point, stimulants (Red Bull on up) are an open secret in hockey.

The only player I've heard for sure that did roids was Jon Kordic and he was a goon.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pepper said:
It was his second offense. His third will be a life ban I think.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Steve L said:
Id be surprised if it was less than half seeing as there were zero testing procedures before the lockout.

Any NHLers playing in the Olympics or World Championship's are subjected to steriod/drug testing.

GSC2k2*

futurcorerock said:
No, the angry comments are directed because the US Government wants to regulate professional sports. The fact of the matter is it's been a witch hunt from the start on capital hill, and often times there's a severe medical bias presented with the facts, citing that steroids kill. Do they? Where's the evidence? (hearsay doesn't count)

This ain't baseball. We don't need bailed out when we can't fix our own problems. The point of it all is that the agency is saying that the NHL has a drug problem, when in all reality they do not.

End. Of. Story.
A. THe medical detriments of steroid use is beyond question. Do any reading on the subject.

B. Hockey is NOT the only sport in the world where players do not take performance-enhancing drugs. To suggest that hockey players are different from any other athletes is ridiculous on its face. The only sport where players do not take steroids/uppers is golf, due to its specialized nature and the fact that golf is about flexibility and nerves, and not bulk. In every other sport where you must impose your physical will, athletes will do everything to gain the edge. Hockey players are no different.

Real. End. Of. Story.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
gscarpenter2002 said:
A. THe medical detriments of steroid use is beyond question. Do any reading on the subject.

B. Hockey is NOT the only sport in the world where players do not take performance-enhancing drugs. To suggest that hockey players are different from any other athletes is ridiculous on its face. The only sport where players do not take steroids/uppers is golf, due to its specialized nature and the fact that golf is about flexibility and nerves, and not bulk. In every other sport where you must impose your physical will, athletes will do everything to gain the edge. Hockey players are no different.

Real. End. Of. Story.
Actually, no. The Medical detriments are well documented, but many cases of steroid death are derived from steroid abuse, not regulated use (though such a thing doesn't exist due to it's legal status). My comments are directed at the mass-hysteria generated by steroid use on the body. Fact of the matter is, any 'drug', legal or illegal can have adverse side effects. Do any reading (other than the media) on the subject.

And no, i'm not suggesting hockey is any different. Anabolic Steroids (which I assume you're referring to -- which by the way is ignorant in of itself on the discussion) are not typically seen as a drug used by hockey players due to the way the body works playing hockey. Muscle adds weight, weight slows you down. It's a fast game.

Now what some people are bringing up is the use of stimulants and other banned substances that increase recovery time --- you entirely missed the point. :dunce:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
futurcorerock said:
And no, i'm not suggesting hockey is any different. Anabolic Steroids (which I assume you're referring to -- which by the way is ignorant in of itself on the discussion) are not typically seen as a drug used by hockey players due to the way the body works playing hockey. Muscle adds weight, weight slows you down. It's a fast game.
Why do players lift weights? Why do teams encourage this by having weight rooms? Why do we constantly hear about a prospect who until he "puts some weight on" won't be ready for the NHL?

Hockey players are not veal.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Weary said:
Why do players lift weights? Why do teams encourage this by having weight rooms? Why do we constantly hear about a prospect who until he "puts some weight on" won't be ready for the NHL?

There's a balance between both. I wasn't disputing the need for weight training.

Are professional body builders fast? How about marathon runners, can they bench ungodly amounts?

There are many ways to use your muscle, a lot of that has to do with weight training. Anabolic steroids build muscle for the sake of building muscle mass.

Transported Upstater

Weary said:

I like veal.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
futurcorerock said:
There's a balance between both. I wasn't disputing the need for weight training.

Are professional body builders fast? How about marathon runners, can they bench ungodly amounts?
No.

Can Ben Johnson hit 500 home runs? Can Rafael Palmiero play linebacker and surpass 1,000 career tackles? Can Bill Romanowski win the Mr. Universe title? Can Arnold Schwarzenegger set the world record for the 100 meter sprint?

No -- yet they all used steroids.

There are many ways to use your muscle, a lot of that has to do with weight training. Anabolic steroids build muscle for the sake of building muscle mass.
Anabolic steroids in and of themselves build nothing. It's the exercise that builds muscle mass and -- let's not forget -- strength. Steroids just accelerate the process.

Any athlete who lifts weights can 'benefit' from steroids. Hockey players are no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->