Speculation: Gostisbehere - Too early to freak out?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Where is the "is it too early to freak out about Braun?" thread. Dude has looked like an abject noob in the past two games. He was on the ice for 3 EV goals.

And it's going to be really difficult for anyone, even Hogg, to top flipping a puck directly to the other team and then tripping his own goalie. That could easily be the season-worst play for a dman.

What's the point of a reliable defensive veteran presence to steady things if they aren't reliable and steadying?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And it's going to be really difficult for anyone, even Hogg, to top flipping a puck directly to the other team and then tripping his own goalie. That could easily be the season-worst play for a dman.

What's the point of a reliable defensive veteran presence to steady things if they aren't reliable and steadying?

Had to overpay for somebody else. Hadn't met the quota yet.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh and on the subject of Ghost, the guy's cap hit is 4.5 million. He would have to be significantly worse than he is to warrant freaking out. Or even, really, all the nitpicking he receives. People act like he's pulling down twice his cap hit.

Reactions: Striiker

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Oh and on the subject of Ghost, the guy's cap hit is 4.5 million. He would have to be significantly worse than he is to warrant freaking out. Or even, really, all the nitpicking he receives. People act like he's pulling down twice his cap hit.

For context, last year Amacs cap was $5M.

Ghost has a LONG ways to go before we start talking about him not bringing value relative to cap hit.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Let’s go with the idea that he’s struggled some.

For me the focus should be more on how to get the most out of a guy that can be such a positive addition and contributor.

Continuously using him as an “example”, which it seems easy to do for old school hockey mind coaches, and playing him with turds isn’t the way to help him, and in turn the team.

Hes been poorly handled a lot of the time, while other players who make way more mistakes (which is what seems to be a coaches kryptonite) get to play on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People aren't really blaming Braun for the McDavid goal, are they?
That was just a great freakin' play by a superstar and bad decision making by a rookie goaltender.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That was just a great freakin' play by a superstar and bad decision making by a rookie goaltender.

Also bad read by a veteran brought in to make the reliable play. He was the last Flyer to start moving back. He gets going a few steps faster and that play is different.

There's also the other plays too, and those are the ones we are discussing.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Where is the "is it too early to freak out about Braun?" thread. Dude has looked like an abject noob in the past two games. He was on the ice for 3 EV goals.

I just want to remind everyone that I freaked out the minute we made these signings and hirings, and in the case of Hayes, about seven months beforehand. I am the early bird and I catch the worm. Koo koo kitchoo.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I just want to remind everyone that I freaked out the minute we made these signings and hirings, and in the case of Hayes, about seven months beforehand. I am the early bird and I catch the worm. Koo koo kitchoo.

same

although I think I will be proven wrong and Hayes will be a decent signing. And Niskanen looks good.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
And yeah that Braun play on the goal in Vancouver is roughly equivalent to the play last year where Ghost passed it to a Maple Leaf who was driving the net for a goal.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I remember how Braun was like -30 goals worse than any other Sharks defenseman the last few years, despite his reliable reputation. I can at least understand (not agree with) the validation for believing in a player who gets butchered in the analytics but finds ways to come out on top in goals. He's a team worse -5 at ES right now. No player has been on the ice for more goals than his 8. Guys like Ghost and Sanheim are +1. Ghost, while being used as the #6 because he can't escape purgatory, has been on for 1 goal against. But "reliability" is such a nebulous concept, along with "trust."

I actually don't think Braun has played terribly, particularly defensively. Besides that McDavid goal, he's been unlucky in on-ice save %. But what you don't want is a player who has no puck skill playing too many minutes, with your best players getting o-zone time, against top opponents. He needs to be managed accordingly. He may be unlucky with the save %, but his xGF is pretty damn low for his quality of linemates (Provorov, Couturier, Konecny leading the way in shared TOI).

Somehow I doubt that's the narrative for certain other defensemen. Even if it's not entirely untrue.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The worst part of this so far is that Hagg somehow has lucked into not being on ice for a goal against this year despite having the worst shot metrics among the defensemen. He's also been on the ice for only 1 goal for. But yeah, he ain't coming out anytime soon.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah if that was Ghost or Sanheim on that McDavid goal, all we would hear from those that dislike them,was that they were weak on the puck, soft and play no defense.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim might have held him up, he's stronger this year.
Ghost would have tried to stick check, if he missed he'd be road kill.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Ghost has been disappointing to me but at 4.5 mil and crappy d partners he gets a pass in my eyes.

would love to see him with Myers or Morin, anything but Hagg or Braun.. please.

also needs to hit the net more on the powerplay.. I remember him using a stick that often broke and has since then switched it. He’s been less accurate since he made that switch in my opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->