Gostisbehere crosscheck on Mark Friedman (suspended 2 games)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Seriously, what's the back story as to why Friedman is so hated by seemingly a good number of his former teammates?
It’s interesting, man. First two games Friedman played I thought it was just cross-state rivalry, but it seems clear that he’s pretty disliked by his former teammates.

Reactions: Tripod and Sasso09

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Because it's not, it's just scab Friedman
Did Friedman spike Bobby Clarke's Splenda with real sugar or something?
Nobody really cares about him, but dear lord is the entire Flyers organization extremely mad at him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He barely nudged him, yet there's intent? And a team that employs Letang shouldn't be making comments about defensive ability

Anyone who equates Letang's defensive ability with Gostisbehere's probably shouldn't be talking about defensive ability in the first place.

Reactions: sanscosm

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Did Friedman spike Bobby Clarke's Splenda with real sugar or something?
Nobody really cares about him, but dear lord is the entire Flyers organization extremely mad at him.
Lol this had me dying because my girl legit did this to me before to prove a point (I only use Splenda) but yeah, there's definitely a back story.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I just hope people can see that overwhelmingly, Flyers fans view this as a very dangerous play that could of had an awful outcome. Ghost deserved a 1-2 game suspension.

But given what Wilson did...and got away with given his history, and it makes everything a joke.
I think 1-2 games is deserving but what has me stunned is the comparison between this and the Wilson ruling.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Nah, I've seen enough of Letang to be excited when he's on the ice.

Our entire team often loses its mind against the Flyers but there are other games, you know. Ghost was literally waived and not wanted by anyone. The idea that he is as good defensively as Letang (or any half-decent defenseman for that matter) is silly.

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
ScapeGhost

To add to the conversation here, the DoPs hitched their suspension wagon to injury a long time ago, with which I disagree. It qualifies the attempt by not just its effectiveness but the relative health of the person being hit. That being said, Friedman bounced right back up again, so how does the DoPS do a 180 on this?

Reactions: Starat327

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Lol Wilson gets nothing and this nudge gets two?

Parros needs gone
I would have given him 3. You simply cannot make contact on a player in that position; it's a dangerous play and it could have gone so much worse. The fact that it's an empty-net situation near the end of the game doesn't give someone license to be reckless out of frustration.

Agreed, Parros should absolutely be gone.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Friedman took some shots at the city of Philadelphia after arriving in Pittsburgh

Mark Friedman reflects on his time in Philadelphia, says there’s nicer people in Pittsburgh

While I don't think this alone would be enough to have several Flyers going after him, I've heard rumors that he was a jerk to a lot of the guys and had an ego problem.
Clearly there is bad blood there but that seemed a bit extreme yesterday with that push. There are two sides to every story and who knows whats what unless you're there. But if he was disliked to a large degree Philly should be happy to be rid of him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a Pens fan who hates both the Flyers and the Caps, I can say that if Wilson got a $5000 fine for his antics the other night, it's dumbfounding that Gostisbehere would get 2 games for what he did.

F*** Parros. Get a finesse player in charge of DoPS and see if anything changes.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Ghost, let it be said, is a joke.

I'm as big a detractor of Letang as there is among Pens' fans, but let's be clear here. There is simply no comparison. Not at the beginning of their careers, not at the pinnacle, and not now. It's highly humorous that anybody with an IQ over 50 would even think to compare the two of them. Letang has his faults, but this Ghost is an NHL nobody.

Letang was the captain of the Canadian World Jr team, and has won 3 Cups.

Ghost went to Union College. He's been in the playoffs a few times, I think.

Ghost was placed on waivers last March and went unclaimed. He has made (surprisingly) $21 million in career earnings.

Letang's career earnings are around $65 million.

I suspect this discussion ends right here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->