Gostisbehere crosscheck on Mark Friedman (suspended 2 games)

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Absolutely. I think they'll either do just that or ignore it entirely. It was pretty dirty, but what the f*** do they care I guess.

Yeah they're jealous as hell that he got out. Maybe he was a dick about it on the way out--which I'd even understand. One day you're stuck 9th on the depth chart on the shitty bloated orange cash carnival that Giroux has been forced to haul around for a decade, the next evening you're playing actual NHL minutes with f***ing Sidney Crosby and Mike Sullivan. I could see Mark being a bit stoked about that and everyone else pretty envious, deep down. He gets a shot at the Cup, and he knows that. They don't have one in the Philadelphia organization right now.

Sadly, uh, seems like it.

extremely simplistic and naive take. You really want to believe what you just said? Lawl. If he was even moderately liked, or tolerated, they would be happy for him. They’re professionals. Things change in an awful hurry and they know that.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
His face shows it, he's been banged up. What are the stitches even from? Can't recall if I witnessed that incident or not.

The Penguins are always banged up. My working theory on that is that it's because they play the f***ing game. Work hard and tear something, go into a corner and break something, be in the mix and eat a puck. They battle pretty damn hard when they need to and are successful, but that costs bodies.

The Flyers stay healthier, because they play like goddamn mice.

They get hurt on completely innocuous plays. Sometimes you don't even know they got hurt until they're suddenly not on the bench. I'd love to thump my chest and say it's because they work so hard, but it's really not.

Or it's just something hilariously dumb. Like James Neal getting hurt because Dan Byslma thought playing whiffleball on ice during practice was a smart idea.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They get hurt on completely innocuous plays. Sometimes you don't even know they got hurt until they're suddenly not on the bench. I'd love to thump my chest and say it's because they work so hard, but it's really not.

Or it's just something hilariously dumb. Like James Neal getting hurt because Dan Byslma thought playing whiffleball on ice during practice was a smart idea.

Well, every team has those. But I'm thinking to "last" season--2019--a lot of those injuries weren't too innocuous if I recall. It adds up. Wear and tear from playing how they play. The best Flyers team I got to watch in 2004 was that good for its tenacity--and it killed itself in the process. Hockey rules.

Bylsma was a treat though, I miss that guy.

Reactions: Zen Arcade

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Should probably be a game. Nothing more. Let's stop with the hockey nanny hysteria. It was a cheap play but some of you folks would've been shivering under your bed with what went on in the 70's and 80's.

That's because they were still using leaded gasoline and everyone was borderline psychotic as a result.

Reactions: Zen Arcade

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Standard procedure is a guy misses a few shifts for an unknown reason, then returns to finish out the game. Next day we find out he's out a month.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Although a small part of me appreciates some emotion from this flatlined team, I am not a fan at all of dangerous plays like that, no matter what bad blood there is. If you have a problem with an opponent, hit them hard cleanly (Patrick last year) or drop the gloves (Farabee last night).

Reactions: BigVegas17

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
This is a really bad play because it came a full second after an en goal to make it 7-3 was scored.

This was an injury away from being a Dale Hunter situation.

And the NHL, being the NHL, will wait until the terrible injury actually happens on a play like this to punish the offender.

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
I wonder if Parros thinks he gets the 5K when players are fined so thats why everyone gets fines instead of suspensions now

justaguy15

Jun 7, 2016
Who the hell is mark Friedman and why is he on the penguins.
Honestly, I hadn't even realized they had picked him up until I turned the game before on and immediately saw him take a puck to the knee and go down screaming. My first thiught was "wait, who the hell is #52?"

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So, of course, George Parros has found his big-boy pants after this incident.

Gostisbehere to have hearing for late hit

In a vacuum, I think Gostisbehere should get a game or two; however, the precedent has always been suspend due to injury (there was none) and the completely clueless lack of consistency makes this a farce, especially when Parros' got called out the previous day for wrist-slapping a serial offender.

Reactions: Tryamw

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

In a vacuum, I think Gostisbehere should get a game or two; however, the precedent has always been suspend due to injury (there was none) and the completely clueless lack of consistency makes this a farce, especially when Parros' got called out the previous day for wrist-slapping a serial offender.
What ever they do here, it will be more fuel for the fire Parros crowd.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Have the penguins sent out a poorly worded hyperbolic letter about it yet?

I admire your strategy of suggesting that criticism of any objectionable play is ludicrous, thereby making the very legitimate criticism of Wilson's actions seem childish and an overreaction.

Your premise is wrong, of course. But you get an "A" for effort.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Considering Ghost has no history I am aware of, it is weird to me that he gets a hearing while Wilson got just a fine.

Then again, it is not called "the nhl wheel of justice" because it hands out punishments based on reason.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I mean, this is definitely a pretty damn suspendable play. Highly unnecessary, play dead, dangerous, and there was definitely intent behind it.

Give him the rest of the season off and call it a day, not like the Flyers have that many games left anyways.

I mean, yeah, to say they f***ed up with Wilson would be understatement of the damn millennium, but this definitely deserves a suspension.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Crazy how a former goon won't suspend a current goon but will suspend an offensive defenseman. Almost like parros is completely trash at his job...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->