LeBrun: Gostisbehere available for trade

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seems to fill a need for the Oilers. Only Ethan Bear seems to know how to transition the puck back there.
Can he play the right side?

They have Bouchard and Broberg, but I'm not sure either will be a staple next season.
I think Bouchard plays a few games but both are at least a year away. I don't think the org is high on Bouchard, at least Holland doesn't seem like it.

Issue is unless Ghost plays right side I don't take him over Klefbom or Nurse

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I think Bouchard plays a few games but both are at least a year away. I don't think the org is high on Bouchard, at least Holland doesn't seem like it.

He playa better on the right than he does the left. Pretty handily, actually.

He prefers the right, spent his best seasons on the right, and produces best there. It's no coincidence that his crappy season happened when AV forced him back on the left (while playing an infinitely worse player, Robert Hagg, on his offside).

Reactions: Flyer lurker

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not true. He looked very good in the Tampa Round Robin game and was okay in one of the Montreal games. He couldn't keep his place in the lineup because of some awful giveaways vs. the Canadiens and was not a fixture once replaced in that series. Ghost is just not a fit in Philly anymore--the coach doesn't believe in him. If you remember an article last summer from a very reputable Philly writer--he was on the record of saying he heard, "Vigneault feels Gostisbehere's game cannot be fixed." Ghost was far from outstanding in the postseason--if he was--he would have been a fixture and the Flyers PP wouldn't have been 0-for-20-something or whatever horrendous number it was.

He didn’t have anymore or offensive giveaways than the rest of the team thanks to the isles forecheck. And he created a lot. Just because the coaches didn’t want to put him in over Hagg doesn’t mean Hagg is better than Ghost. Hagg has some of the worst stats in the league. Same goes for them actually wanting to matchup Thompson against Barzal. You can’t judge their play by the bad coaching decisions. And he does have a nice spot as Provorovs partner and dropping Niskanen to the third pair. They had a ton of success before. Ghosts value is also at an all time or near all time low. If they play him right next year he prob puts up 40-50 pts and you could trade him for a lot more if you wanted to.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He didn’t have anymore or offensive giveaways than the rest of the team thanks to the isles forecheck. And he created a lot. Just because the coaches didn’t want to put him in over Hagg doesn’t mean Hagg is better than Ghost. Hagg has some of the worst stats in the league.

The Flyers defense was absolutely exposed against the Habs and Islanders--so yes, they all handled the puck like a hot potato and buckled under a ferocious forecheck. But Ghost made some horrible plays in his own end--horrible. So bad, that he wasn't even being used to serve the PP, which was horrific. That said, yes, he's better than Hagg who has no place on any team hoping to contend for something worthwhile. Hagg is a 7th defenseman at best.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That might not be bad. Have him on the bottom pairing with Jones. Probably an improvement on Russell.

Probably a B prospect and a 3rd?

I'm the wrong person to ask. I dont want to move him so I cant give an unbiased valuation.

I will say that picks are more valuable than prospects to us though, cause we've got a pretty stocked farm system already. Id want a 2nd more than a 3rd+

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm the wrong person to ask. I dont want to move him so I cant give an unbiased valuation.

I will say that picks are more valuable than prospects to us though, cause we've got a pretty stocked farm system already. Id want a 2nd more than a 3rd+
Oilers don't have their next 2 seconds and I feel like that a big play for a guy who has mostly played 3rd pairing minutes for the last 2 seasons

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Oilers don't have their next 2 seconds and I feel like that a big play for a guy who has mostly played 3rd pairing minutes for the last 2 seasons

Like I said, I may not be the best to ask. I hold him in higher regard than what people jist looking at his stats do because i understand the context of why it 'looks' likes hes played poor.

He posted better metrics than anyone on the team in his playoff games and still got benched. He just isn't AV's 'guy' and the Flyers will have egg on their face mere weeks after trading him.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Like I said, I may not be the best to ask. I hold him in higher regard than what people jist looking at his stats do because i understand the context of why it 'looks' likes hes played poor.

He posted better metrics than anyone on the team in his playoff games and still got benched. He just isn't AV's 'guy' and the Flyers will have egg on their face mere weeks after trading him.
Maybe. Or he could just not be as good as people think either.

I think used on a 3rd pair PP guy he can excel.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Interesting, we were hearing a lot that Holland and Wright were big fans of Bouchard during his draft year in Detroit. I think they still likely take Hughes over him if Zadina doesn't fall from what I have heard, but Bouchard was the other name there and kind of got supplanted at the World's so pretty late in the game of his draft year, so I can say somewhat confidently he did like his game at one point, maybe up close he cooled on him a little this year.

I think Ghost would help the Oilers a lot, it seems like a pretty good fit. He does have some work to do on his game though, he hasn't been good enough the last couple seasons, it is concerning. But what he does well it feels like the Oilers have a need for and he might just mesh with their stars offensively.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
To be fair - 99% of philadelphia fans want to keep Ghost. It's just AV's inexplicably usage of bad players that has him "available". And even then, most of us would sooner ship out AV than Ghost.

I actually do kinda wanna trade Ghost because the organization dicked him over too many times and his confidence is shot and he deserves a fresh start somewhere.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
If Dumba comes back for Ghost, we lose either Dumba or whichever of Lindblom/Konecny we don't protect in the draft (our 7/3 is Giroux/Hayes/Couturier/Lindblom/Konecny/two of Voracek/Patrick/Laughton, Farabee and Frost not eligible, and Provorov/Sanheim/Myers. If we go 4/4, to protect the 3D and Dumba, we have to protect G and Hayes, Couts is obvious, but we lose either OL or TK.)

Or you leave Giroux unprotected as he had a down year and is on the wrong side of 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad