Proposal: Gormley for Grigorenko

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I hope that's enough. Just get him off this team. Don't hate the kid, just feel so bad for him. Give him a real chance with a building team

If he weren't richer than me, I'd take him out for beers and talk about the feels.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Value wise it's fine, but I'm not sure what role Grigorenko would play next season. If we win McEichel, do we really go with two young centers as 1C 2C? Doesn't really fit the mold of a 3C either, assuming McEichel-Hanzal-Grigorenko. Could make more sense if we're picking 3rd.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Value wise it's fine, but I'm not sure what role Grigorenko would play next season. If we win McEichel, do we really go with two young centers as 1C 2C? Doesn't really fit the mold of a 3C either, assuming McEichel-Hanzal-Grigorenko. Could make more sense if we're picking 3rd.

It is an upgrade in talent, and an organization can never have too many good young players in the system.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Don't like his character. Another Turris-like primadonna.

Do seem to recall hearing this, but so do many other great players. Don't like the mentality but if the kid can come in and rip it up then I'd still go for it. I am of the camp of giving Gormley more time though. I thought he'd be ready by now but he may still need a few years of incubation as some players just grow mentally later than others. Plus it will give him the oppertunity to work on that atrocious skating.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do seem to recall hearing this, but so do many other great players. Don't like the mentality but if the kid can come in and rip it up then I'd still go for it. I am of the camp of giving Gormley more time though. I thought he'd be ready by now but he may still need a few years of incubation as some players just grow mentally later than others. Plus it will give him the oppertunity to work on that atrocious skating.

A few more years? Half a decade not enough? He just may need a fresh start some where else, so I say trade him and wish him luck, he will need it.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
A few more years? Half a decade not enough? He just may need a fresh start some where else, so I say trade him and wish him luck, he will need it.

Read in Phili didn't break into the league until he was 26 and while not a top line guy, he's a great middle 6 player. Different circumstances granted, but he still was a late bloomer.

I also didn't say I was against trading him, just that he may be a late bloomer and could need a few more years. Maybe he does just need a change in scenery, either way, I still like him as a prospect, his calling is likely just lower than we all hoped.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Read in Phili didn't break into the league until he was 26 and while not a top line guy, he's a great middle 6 player. Different circumstances granted, but he still was a late bloomer.

I also didn't say I was against trading him, just that he may be a late bloomer and could need a few more years. Maybe he does just need a change in scenery, either way, I still like him as a prospect, his calling is likely just lower than we all hoped.

Those last bloomers are usually guys who either mentally haven't figured it out or physically matured slower and I don't think gormley fits either one.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Those last bloomers are usually guys who either mentally haven't figured it out or physically matured slower and I don't think gormley fits either one.

Well, that's where we differ I guess. I think he's not physically 100% where he needs to be and it appears his mental side is a few steps behind right now. He's probably not going to become a top 3 blue liner like we all imagined, but I see no reason he couldn't become a #4/#5 guy in a few years.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I used to be in camp Gormley but have since moved out. Gormley has been leap frogged by Murphy and with the addition of Dahlbeck he doesn't have much use. If this deal came along, it would be smart to trade Gormley. Grigorenko could possibly be an easy flip or make some other assets expendable. Assets that would fetch a bigger return than Gormley.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Well, that's where we differ I guess. I think he's not physically 100% where he needs to be and it appears his mental side is a few steps behind right now. He's probably not going to become a top 3 blue liner like we all imagined, but I see no reason he couldn't become a #4/#5 guy in a few years.
I hope you're right, it would be cool if his skating troubles went away because of more physical development. Mentally I think he's in very good shape already. I think he'd be an ok bottom pairing guy right now honestly but it's hard to get used to nhl hockey when you only see the ice once a week.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I understand, but he wasn't a high first round pick, so not much was expected from him. Either way, I think it's best for all involved to move on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I just posted we should move on from Gormley, but maybe, if there are no takers, we could give him one last shot at training camp. I just hate losing a high first round pick for ----.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad