Gorges overpaid?

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
There is no way in hell Gorges, as a free agent, would have received less than 3M$ per season. So I don’t see how Gorges, at 3,9M$ per season, is overpaid. At worst, he is, if such a thing exists, marginally overpaid. The guy can play LD/RD, he shoulders a lot of minutes, he displays an exemplary/impressive compete level, he is a low maintenance/no bs veteran, he is not flamboyant (far from it!) but he limits his mistakes...

I suspect that part of the heat (by a minority but still surprising imo) he is receiving is the backlash against his level-headed but cold analysis of the prolonged Subban’s contract negotiation.

That said, I wish for the return of 1. Gorges – Subban!

Btw, Gorges will be 33 years old at the end of the 2018 season/playoffs. I know that on hfboards 27 years old + players are often labeled as “old†but come on!

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
There is no way in hell Gorges, as a free agent, would have received less than 3M$ per season. So I don’t see how Gorges, at 3,9M$ per season, is overpaid. At worst, he is, if such a thing exists, marginally overpaid. The guy can play LD/RD, he shoulders a lot of minutes, he displays an exemplary/impressive compete level, he is a low maintenance/no bs veteran, he is not flamboyant (far from it!) but he limits his mistakes...

I suspect that part of the heat (by a minority but still surprising imo) he is receiving is the backlash against his level-headed but cold analysis of the prolonged Subban’s contract negotiation.

That said, I wish for the return of 1. Gorges – Subban!

Btw, Gorges will be 33 years old at the end of the 2018 season/playoffs. I know that on hfboards 27 years old + players are often labeled as “old†but come on!

He might possibly be the most overrated player on the team.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
He might possibly be the most overrated player on the team.

I think he is slightly overrated (I see him as a very good complement to an "offence oriented" partner) but I don’t think he is significantly overpaid. As for his play, he is the guy I want on the ice with less than a minute to play, trying to defend a one goal lead with a faceoff in our end.

onemorecup*

This is an erroneous statement...MANY players throughout ALL sports are overpaid. To say otherwise means you probably only follow the NHL.

What a ridiculous statement.

Anyways...like I said in the other post. I'm not really hung up about how much the teams I cheer for spend on salaries, it's their money and they are in charge of building a team with the money they're allowed to spend.

I just want to see results on the ice...and just because a player is underpaid doesn't mean he'll play better

Fans tend to overstate the correlation between salary and performance

Brian Campbell is overpaid, but he still turned in a solid season for the Panthers last year...funny how him being overpaid got lost in the shuffle last year as opposed to the year prior when he was a 5/6 dman for the Blackhawks.

bro there is no debate stupid money is thrown around in other leagues but not like hockey let me explain

in the

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
bro there is no debate stupid money is thrown around in other leagues but not like hockey let me explain

in the

Agreed...there is no debate

Because as someone who follows the NFL, NBA and European Football religiously...I can assure you, that the amounts of money that NHL players are overpaid compared to players in those sports, is not even close.

Who cares if Josh Gorges is overpaid by 1M...that's nothing compared to what some very average players make in other sports

Do you follow anything other than the NHL by the way?

The 4th highest paid player in the NBA is Amare Stoudamire...he makes just under 20M a year. He's not even averaging 10pts per game this year and is injured almost every year. Up until 2 years ago, the HIGHEST paid player in the NBA was not Lebron James, or Kobe Bryant...it was Rashard Lewis.

Yes...Rashard Lewis

onemorecup*

This is an erroneous statement...MANY players throughout ALL sports are overpaid. To say otherwise means you probably only follow the NHL.

What a ridiculous statement.

Anyways...like I said in the other post. I'm not really hung up about how much the teams I cheer for spend on salaries, it's their money and they are in charge of building a team with the money they're allowed to spend.

I just want to see results on the ice...and just because a player is underpaid doesn't mean he'll play better

Fans tend to overstate the correlation between salary and performance

Brian Campbell is overpaid, but he still turned in a solid season for the Panthers last year...funny how him being overpaid got lost in the shuffle last year as opposed to the year prior when he was a 5/6 dman for the Blackhawks.

in the NFL there are no guaranteed contracts , and the STARS MAKE THE MONEY

check out the salary database for an NFL team on a cap of 100 mil ,

Josh Jorges average player dont make this kind of money

in baseball teams have players under salary control for years

take JP Arancibia one of the best young up and commers , dude he is 27 making 500 k a year . He has been in the Jays system for 9 years making no money

an identical example is Fowler , a good up and coming D man , dude got 4 mil for 5 years , at 26 he would of made 25 mil , while many many young baseball players are riding buses or dont get a payday until later in their careers

in the NBA brother , 95% are first round picks , u are only paying 7-8 players any decent money , so 1/2 the NHL would never make make it in that league

YOU WONT SEE A KOMISAREK CLOWN MAKE THIS MONEY IN OTHER LEAGUES
HE WOULD OF BEEN FLUSHED OUT OF THE LEAGUE BY THEN

in the NHL my friend any good young player will go from entry contract to a 300-600% raise at 22 years of age , this wont happen in other leagues unless you are really good , but average JJ types dont get 25 mil extensions

sorry bro you are wrong

onemorecup*

Because as someone who follows the NFL, NBA and European Football religiously...I can assure you, that the amounts of money that NHL players are overpaid compared to players in those sports, is not even close.

Who cares if Josh Gorges is overpaid by 1M...that's nothing compared to what some very average players make in other sports

The 4th highest paid player in the NBA is Amare Stoudamire...he makes just under 20M a year. He's not even averaging 10pts per game this year and is injured almost every year. Up until 2 years ago, the HIGHEST paid player in the NBA was not Lebron James, or Kobe Bryant...it was Rashard Lewis.

Yes...Rashard Lewis

bro Amare is grossly overpaid but he was one the best young players in basketball and was a sought after free agent
he got hurt is injury prone and the Knicks are stupid for overpaying him big time on this contract , prior to this contract he was a top 15 player in the game ,the Knicks paid thinking he would be healthy again

thats not the point , the stars get their money regardless of the sport

forget soccer my friend total corruption, you can buy players , its a totally different league and system

but one thing I will assure you , JJ types wont make this kind of money in most other leagues

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Overpaid? Possibly? A tiny bit at most? Insignificant if so? Yes.
Not sure what all the hubbub is about.
Is he overrated? Don't think so. He's a great D.
If anything, although maybe correct, his thoughts about the Subban contract talks is...well, uncalled for and shouldn't be said publicly. But that is probably the only thing I really have against him and it's minor to boot.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
As a Knicks fan...that Amare contract was stupid from day one, but it was logical at the time - the Knicks were desperate to have a player who other big names would want to play with. Basketball has the worst contracts outside of cap-free baseball, and that's because the one or two star players makes all the difference. Players are far from equal in hockey, but there's less of a divide between role players and the leagues better players in hockey. Even overpaid players in hockey tend to not hurt you too much, unless you are talking Gomez level overpaid.

In basketball where one or two max contracts are the difference between being a contender and the lotto, one bad contract, even if it's only by 1M, can kill you.

onemorecup*

Yes...Rashard Lewis

yes and when did Rashard get this crazy money , its was many years ago when he was a solid player and someone took a chance that he would be better later on

the point is Rashard wasnt was a JJ average player when he signed that monster deal , it was based on upside down the road plus his team was good and didnt wan to break it up and overpaid to keep him him

JJ is making the same as Marc Staal arguably the best shut down d man in teh game right now ... Jorges is not in his class ...

onemorecup*

As a Knicks fan...that Amare contract was stupid from day one, but it was logical at the time - the Knicks were desperate to have a player who other big names would want to play with. Basketball has the worst contracts outside of cap-free baseball, and that's because the one or two star players makes all the difference. Players are far from equal in hockey, but there's less of a divide between role players and the leagues better players in hockey. Even overpaid players in hockey tend to not hurt you too much, unless you are talking Gomez level overpaid.

In basketball where one or two max contracts are the difference between being a contender and the lotto, one bad contract, even if it's only by 1M, can kill you.

agreed toptally different sport , one player can make all the diffrence in this one on one game

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
yes and when did Rashard get this crazy money , its was many years ago when he was a solid player and someone took a chance that he would be better later on

the point is Rashard wasnt was a JJ average player when he signed that monster deal , it was based on upside down the road plus his team was good and didnt wan to break it up and overpaid to keep him him

JJ is making the same as Marc Staal arguably the best shut down d man in teh game right now ... Jorges is not in his class ...

Marc Staal isn't even the best shutdown D on his team IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Disagree it was logicial...but that's a matter of opinion. I don't think there was any logic at the time to pay him that kind of money, but it's the Knicks they toss around money like it's nobody's business

The point is, it's ridiculous to think that hockey is the only sport where average players make a ton of money.

Amir Johnson on the Raps makes nearly 10M per year lol

There are COUNTLESS examples, especially in the NBA, of very average players making very good money

Josh Gorges at 3.9M is overpaid...but trying to make a federal case about it?

Come on lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

But at NO POINT in his career was Rashard Lewis even close to being the best player in the game. That contract has always been viewed as a joke.

You want a very average player who is massively overpaid? Joe Johnson? I believe he's the leagues 7th highest paid player. That's a joke

Go over EVERY roster in EVERY league, and you'll find overpaid players...its not reserved only for NHL teams

and of all the examples of overpaid players...if the most egregious example you can find is Josh Gorges, I suggest you look again

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Marc Staal isn't even the best shutdown D on his team IMO.

Exactly...this term 'overpaid' is totally subjective.

Different people have different views on who is 'overpaid'. In the end though, it doesn't necessarily affect performance on the ice.

Did anyone care that Brian Campbell was overpaid when the Hawks won the Cup?

Let owners and GMs worry about who is overpaid...a player's wages has nothing to do with how he can help his team on the ice.

It's not as though Josh Gorges would of been a better player this year if he was making 2.9M instead of 3.9M. The only difference would be that people would say that he's a bargain.

None of this has any affect on what happens on the ice

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bourque = underpaid, especially that he will only cost 2.5M in 2014-15 and 2015-16. A top 6 forward under 4M is pretty rare.
Prust = worth is contract

A lot of people would argue on that one. Really depends on which Rene Bourque shows up. Gorges at least is pretty darn constant in his effort, production and value to the team. The same cannot be said about Bourque.

onemorecup*

Exactly...this term 'overpaid' is totally subjective.

Different people have different views on who is 'overpaid'. In the end though, it doesn't necessarily affect performance on the ice.

Did anyone care that Brian Campbell was overpaid when the Hawks won the Cup?

Let owners and GMs worry about who is overpaid...a player's wages has nothing to do with how he can help his team on the ice.

It's not as though Josh Gorges would of been a better player this year if he was making 2.9M instead of 3.9M. The only difference would be that people would say that he's a bargain.

None of this has any affect on what happens on the ice

agreed brother my only point in this whole debate was the NHL is the easiest of the big 4 sports to way overpay the AVERAGE PLAYER . Other sports average players dont make nearly twice their league`s average salary or players have a much harder time to get thier money given the nature of thier sports system

there are nearly 1/2 THE NHL players making about THE AVERAGE SALARY of 2.4 or more thats crazy and without checking stats dont think the other leagues have this ratio

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
agreed brother my only point in this whole debate was the NHL is the easiest of the big 4 sports to way overpay the AVERAGE PLAYER . Other sports average players dont make nearly twice their league`s average salary or players have a much harder time to get thier money given the nature of thier sports system

there are nearly 1/2 THE NHL players making about THE AVERAGE SALARY of 2.4 or more thats crazy and without checking stats dont think the other leagues have this ratio

Maybe...but again. I don't know why fans get so hung up on who is overpaid or not. It has very little bearing, if any, on on-ice performance.

This year, Josh Gorges is overpaid...last year he was underpaid.

He's still the same effective player he was last year, nothing has changed except for the fact that he can afford more things now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad